Any intel on Hampshire College?

I’ve looked over the website and viewbook, and read the major news stories from the last couple of years, but I’m still feeling like I should find out more about Hampshire College. Is there anyone here with up-to-date info about the school and what it’s like to attend? I’m especially curious about the logistics of taking courses at the other colleges in the consortium, and about what the emphasis on “entrepreneurship” that appeared in all the marketing materials after the start of the capital campaign actually looks like for students.

Sorry but I can only comment on the logistics of taking courses at other colleges. Being in the town of Amherst, logistics are relatively easy for getting to Amherst College and UMass. The bus runs once every half hour. It’s 10 minutes to AC and 20 minutes to UMass. You can ride a bike to AC in 20 minutes and to UMass in 30 minutes.

1 Like

My daughter is a student at Mount Holyoke and is taking a class at Hampshire right now. She is really enjoying the class and says the professor is fabulous. Maybe a 20 minute bus ride? I think Hampshire is well situated for classes at Umass, Amherst, and Mount Holyoke. Smith may be a bit tougher, but not sure.

2 Likes

With respect to Hampshire’s future, it seems promising that it received over 2,000 applicants for this fall’s entering class. Yield from those accepted has yet to be reported, however.

3 Likes

I had heard that the logistics is taking the bus to other classes could be challenging depending on the bus schedule-in terms of getting back to your campus in time for your next class.

Hampshire is in a transition but I’m encouraged to see Ken Burns and so many others stepping up. When Hampshire started having difficulty, Ken Burns launched a 60 million dollar fundraising campaign.

1 Like

Reviving this thread. Anyone attending or have kids attending?