Any Jewish students at Swarthmore?

Wondering what it’s like now to be Jewish on campus, whether it’s uncomfortable with the pro-BDS movement and general anti-Zionism there. Also saw a year ago something to do with swastikas…what is kehilah like?

My daughter who is a Junior has numerous Jewish friends. All who are very active on campus. She has never mentioned any issues (and yes she would share if there were.)
Overall, Swat is an extremely diverse and inclusive school. You may find anomalies, but my daughter’s experience has been one defined by the most friendly and accepting people she has ever met. We were just discussing this today!! Following Swat conversations because my son has applied for Class of 2025!

2 Likes

If your son has applied, and your daughter is already there, then that is a good affirmation. My son has applied for Class of 2025 and eagerly awaiting notification (scheduled to come on 3/19/2021).

When I was at S’more 17% of the students were Jewish. I don’t remember any issues - none. I suppose in modern times, with BDS, there are some flare-ups over Israel’s Palestinian policies. However, we have close friends in Israel and they also have concerns about Israel’s Palestinian policies.

On the internet, look at The Forward College Guide for Swarthmore.