Any monetary benefits to being in CBHP?

<p>I see that CBHP “pairs academically elite students directly with leading research professors and cutting-edge computing technology to complete scholarly research projects in any field of study”. Are there any monetary benefits to being in CBHP?</p>

<p>D2 is now eligible for Presidential scholarship. Now we are looking at other opportunities like CBHP and UFE for which she has the grades and the stats.</p>

<p>CBHP gives out some scholarship money to a few students, but it is not guaranteed and is viewed more as a pleasant surprise than something students expect to get.</p>

<p>Same for UFE…I don’t think the students that are chosen for UFE or CBHP are in it “for the money”. There’s way too much involvement required for the few monies that “may be” given. Of course, there’s always discussion about Academic Elite scholarships (UFE only) but they are definitely not something to count on. There is no rhyme or reason as to how they’re offered to the lay person anyway.
I know that it’s been said a million times but stats and grades are ONLY a beginning and in no way an automatic invitation into either program.</p>

<p>SEA_tide and asaunmom have given very good descriptions. For both programs, the selection process is very long and competitive. Both are amazing opportunities, yet, there is no guarantee for any additional scholarships. If that is the main motivator for wanting to be in the programs, I’d think twice. The time comittment is great. You have to have the passion to challenge yourself academically, often outside of you comfort zone for CBHP. You have to have the comittment to serve extensively and develop as a person with University Fellows. And I agree with asaunmom, stats are not an automatic invitation.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>I will respectfully disagree with asaunmom on one point - I think that a great number of students that apply to UFE are initially in it “for the money”. While ultimately everyone comes to realize that the Academic Elite scholarships are selective even among UFE members, the financial rewards of the Academic Elite package are so great that most anyone with the initial qualifications will pursue UFE (hence the 700 applicants for UFE this year). And it is only going to get worse now that the NMF package is being cut, as UFE members who had the NMF package were typically not considered for the Academic Elite package.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I believe this has led to a significant number of candidates who are chasing the money or prestige of being a member of these programs, while not fully passionate about the true intents of the programs - servant leadership for UFE, and research for CBHP. Someone who is truly a servant leader or passionate about research is not common. Someone who is truly a servant leader AND passionate about research is very rare. And yet how many students apply for both programs?</p>

<p>In my opinion, the best way to address this would be to remove all financial benefits of being in either program. There would still be some students pursuing them mostly for the prestige, but it would increase the likelihood that students were focused on the intents of the programs as opposed to financial rewards.</p>

<p>I agree.</p>

<p>I have LONG disliked the Academic Elite awards for a few in UFE. </p>

<p>First of all, it’s way too much money to give a token few…so it’s bad for morale. (I did notice that the award has shrunk this year…but the idea of giving a free ride PLUS $8k per year stipend to a chosen few is/was ridiculous!).</p>

<p>Secondly, the awards are given before any of them have demonstrated deserving such awards.</p>

<p>Can you imagine how frustrated the other UFE students are if one or two of the AE recipients turns out the be a flake (while getting this generous stipend!!), while the truly hard working UFE students got nothing? Crazy! </p>

<p>I think the UFE and CBH awards should go into one pot and be divided equally and given to each one as a stipend with some kind of req’t (GPA or something) to continue to receive it.</p>

<p>Re: CBH awards…</p>

<p>In the recent past, there have been a few CBH scholarships given to some of the non-NMFs to help pay for housing ( a few thousand dollars, not a housing scholarship).</p>

<p>However, since now NMF scholarships do not cover 4 years of housing, I don’t know what CBH will do since no student will have 4 years of housing.</p>

<p>OP: I don’t want to get into a discussion about how UA awards scholarships. Afterall, it is their money to give. But to answer your question, yes CBHP does give a few scholarships, but they are not guaranteed. The same goes for UFE. However, the way in which they distribute these scholarships is unknown to me.</p>

<p>I would like to emphasize that CBHP is a minor. One class a semester for the first three years. Then an optional 4th year if the student chooses. Time intensive and challenging) Yes, it is a selective program, but it is also a academic program. It is not simply a pairing of a student with a researcher. The students first learn HOW to research. And, the courses are graded. It is an outstanding program, but many do not understand the comittment and challenge of CBHP.</p>

<p>On the UFE side, though not a minor, Fellows also take classes and are involved intensively on campus, in the community and in the state of Alabama. While being developed as service leaders, they give back everyday. I suggest that a student really examine “how they are wired” before accepting a position as a Fellow. If involved for resume or attention, probably not a program for you. On the other hand, if you really want to learn how to be a good servant leader and your passion is giving of yourself in service to your community, consider the program. </p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Both CBHP and UFE are amazing programs. But, they are not awards or scholarships as they stand today, they are opportunties to prepare a student to more effectively give back (in research or community service) in the future.</p>

<p>I just want to say thanks to all the posters. We have been struggling to understand the difference in Honors, CBHP and Fellows. Have read tons on the website and when we still weren’t clear, emailed the recruiter who told us the Honors college dean could explain it all on my son’s visit next month. But these postings have made it much clearer and helped my son quantify what questions to actually ask next month so he can decide which, if any, are right for him.</p>

<p>This is a really interesting bunch of comments.
They have certainly enlightened me on a few things I did not know!
My son applied for both CBHP and UFE last year - he was ‘wait-listed’ for CBHP (along with several others, apparently). Since the only time you can apply for these is as an incoming Freshman, I’m not surprised that they get 700 applicants. The fact that UA can make excellent choices from such a large pool is testament to their ability to focus on what is really important in either program.<br>
With hindsight, I am glad son took the time/effort to apply. Just the process of applying for things allows you to learn a little bit more about yourself and what is truly important to you.</p>

<p>Yes, I would also like to add that although CBH is a minor and classes are involved, students may underestimate the “research” component of the class. Depending on what your research project is, and who your mentor is, there can be a serious time commitment to CBH. There are usually no specified hours for the research component. Research is a large commitment and the student will spend many hours in the lab, writing documentation, creating posters, and doing public presentations. It is truly rewarding for those who relish the idea of research, but can be daunting to those who just thought CBH was another class. It is not unusual to be in the lab at late hours because the student had class all day, then had to study, and then had to go work on their research. It takes determination and dedication, but the CBH program can be very rewarding for those who are really committed to both their studies and research.
I am not saying this to discourage any individual from applying, but I am saying that you should know what the program entails before deciding if it right for you. CBH is a highly competitive program which accepts about 40 students per year. There is no guarantee of any additional monies.</p>

<p>M2CK: I totally agree about the UFE “Elite”.</p>

<p>Bull87- You’re right. I did not mean that some students who were chosen weren’t in it for the money. My daughter is a freshman Fellow. The AE is a source of contention among the Fellows, of course, I’m not speaking for every single one. Only relaying information that I’ve overheard among some of them.
I honestly believe that it’s used as an incentive to undecided students that UA really really want. I personally know one student that was undecided between Princeton and UA. He attended the interview weekends. Ultimately, he was offered invitations to CBHP and UFE w/ AE. He respectfully declined and ended up at Princeton.
One other student that I know was vocal about being undecided between two publics during interview weekend was also offered AE and is currently attending UA. So, that’s the only experience that I’ve had with AE.
From my experience, the scholarship that UFE offers will NOT cover all the cost that were involved in getting her to campus (with super short notice) for the interview weekend. At this point, I’m in the hole ;/ I’ve had talks with my student about the opportunities that arise due to being a Fellow.
She has loved every minute thus far. She did comment that she was in a heated debate at the first “hosted dinner” regarding politics. She felt that she was definitely in the minority consensus. I’m proud that she stood her ground but I know that it was very trying and tiring for her.
Good luck to anyone pursuing the UFE or CBHP program. Buckle up and enjoy the very long tedious roller coaster ride.</p>

<p>I also wanted to point out that although the real research for CBH does not usually begin till year two, the first year classes require an end of the semester project that will have your students working around the clock.</p>

<p>asaunmom: It is not always a bad thing to be in the minority. it can make you think about your position and arguments and also offers the “other side” a different perspective. Personally, I never minded being the devil’s advocate. :)</p>

<p>I’ve made it known that I think that UFE and CBHP could be handled differently with equal or better results. There is an inherent problem in choosing participants almost sight unseen, especially if transportation costs to the on-campus interview are not covered.</p>

<p>It is also well known that those in CBHP and UFE are more likely to be chosen for additional opportunities as they are known quantities that are around Nott Hall all the time.</p>

<p>My advice is to apply to both programs even if you only have the slightest interest in doing them. If you do get accepted into one of the programs and decide it’s not for you, leave. The Honors College will likely be disappointed with you as they cannot put someone else in your spot, but it is more important that you be happy and successful.</p>

<p>Note that CBHP prefers that students not have previous programming experience.</p>