Anybody know any colleges in phoenix Arizona

Thank you for answering! Understanding your type of diploma is the most important information to helping people here understand.

I’m going to recap because I think your numbering may be off from my questions.

1. Type of high school diploma - You answered “IEP diploma”
  2. Current support - You asked what I meant. Sorry I was not clear. By “support” I meant accommodations. You do not need to answer this if you are not comfortable sharing.
  3. Have you been tested recently? - You answered “yes”.
  4. Have you contacted Vermont HireAbility? - You answered “No, I can’t”
  5. How will you afford your education and living expenses? - You answered “My parents will help”

@sybbie719 @Psevak Do you have any input on this new thread by @rose_23? Do you have experience with students earning a NY IEP diploma? NYS Ed IEP
In my state, students work with counseling resources on a Transition Plan to Postsecondary Education and Employment.

The NYC DOE stopped issuing IEP Diplomas over a decade ago because of the confusion that families had in thinking that students could attend college or pursue other post secondary opportunities where a high school diploma was needed. TBH, NYS no longer issues IEP diplomas as they have been replaced with Commencement Credentials.

In lieu of a high school diploma, students who meet specific criteria may be eligible to earn the Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS) commencement credential or the Skills and Achievement commencement credential. These exiting credentials are not equivalent to a high school diploma and do not have credit or exam requirements. They do not guarantee qualification in situations where a high school diploma is required. Students who earn these credentials must receive written assurance of their eligibility to return to high school through the year in which they turn 21.

CDOS
The CDOS commencement credential is not equivalent to a high school diploma. All students, including students with disabilities, must receive the opportunities and support needed to earn a high school diploma. Unlike a diploma, the CDOS credential does not require students to earn credits or pass exams. As a standalone credential earned in place of a high school diploma, the CDOS does not guarantee employment where a diploma is required and does not qualify students to enter the military or enter many post-secondary institutions. For these reasons,
schools should offer students CDOS-aligned work-based learning and CTE experiences alongside the academic coursework required for a diploma.

Skills and Achievement Commencement Credential
The Skills and Achievement credential can only be awarded to students with IEPs who participate in the New York State Alternate Assessment (NYSAA) in place of standardized assessments; it is the sole exiting credential available to NYSAA-eligible students. Students who earn this credential must receive written assurance of their eligibility to stay in high school through the school year in which they turn 21. The Skills and Achievement commencement
credential should be awarded in alignment with the transition planning process for students with IEPs.

I gathered that with the other information that Rose has provided (she is not tested), she probably has alternate assessment on her IEP (which means, she will never receive a NYS high school diploma). She will most likely receive a Skills and Achievement Commencement Credential (which will allow her to participate in her high school’s graduation).

OP will not be able to attend college in Arizona or anywhere else with an IEP diploma/Commencement credential .This will be problematic for her when it comes to attending college and getting aid because she will not have successfully completed high school.

2 Likes

Grand Canyon University in Phoenix has a new program that might fit, if a Christian college would work Grand Canyon University offers new program for students with disabilities

2 Likes

For those recommending colleges…how will this student pay for these schools. If she moves to AZ as an 18 or 19 year old as she has suggested in this thread, it will be a very uphill battle to get instate tuition status in Arizona.

I think the community college route might work, but only IF this student can pay the costs. As noted upstream, the costs for those considered out of state residents will be high.

@rose_23 have you considered some kind of vocational training in the state where you currently reside. It was suggested that you contact the agency in Vermont dealing with this sort of thing. You really need to do this. “I can’t” isn’t a very good reason for not pursuing this.

And again I ask…if you have an IEP, it is a mandate that there is a transition plan in place for you to help plan for post high school. What is in your transition plan? You need to find out.

3 Likes

Then ASU, U of A, etc are out of the running. I’d recommend that the OP start at community college.

If they can afford to pay the out of state costs…or if they can somehow prove that they should be independent for tuition purposes in AZ…with parents residing in VT.

2 Likes

The OP should consider community college first…period….in their home state or elsewhere, somewhere that’s affordable.

2 Likes

Community college or technical/vocational school. OP has options, but needs to work with her parents and counselors on a Transition plan… that is affordable and realistic. I wish you the best, @rose_23! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @rose_23

the first thing you need to do when you get back to school is meet with your counselor and review your IEP. Your IEP will indicate whether or not you will participate in state assessments (NYS Regents exams or PBATs) or if you are alternately assessed (NYSAA). This will determine if you will be eligible for a high school diploma or a commencement credential (which is not a diploma). Under either scenario, you are entitled to remain in high school in NYS until you are 21 years old.

Have you spoken with your parents? They should have a copy of your IEP including the transition plan for you. When was your last triannual? If you are alternately assessed, do you think that your parents would like a re-evaluation to see if you can achieve a high school diploma.

Unless you know your exit plan for high school, there is really no discussion about college (unless you are going to attend a community college that will also allow you to achieve a high school diploma).

Even if this is your option, you must find out if you are going to be eligible for aid if you are leaving high school without a diploma.

5 Likes

@sybbie719 i leave school next year

but this might not happen anymore just found out my parents are gonna be taking me to court to make it so i can’t move out :confused:

It doesn’t seem like you have followed through with the advice you have recieved on your various threads. I wish youthe best but at this point it sounds like you need to talk to and work WITH your parents and guidance counselor and begin to map out your next step(s).

1 Like

As OP has posted that AZ is off the table now, closing thread.

1 Like