Anyone familiar with Commonwealth School (Boston) or Winsor School?

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with these two Boston day schools. Both are excellent in academics, both are kind of okay in sports. Besides the fact one is all girls, what else are their pros/cons in different ways? Any comments would be appreciated.

Hi! I live near both and have applied to both in the past (waitlisted at both, now attend a public high school)

Winsor is more sports-oriented, but it does well academically. I would akin it to a large, athletic school from what I remember of it and have heard of it. Music programs are good, and the campus is gorgeous, quite literally next to some of the best hospitals and colleges in downtown Boston.

Commonwealth is very tight, close-knit, and gives a liberal artsy feel for students. Boston is definitely their campus, as they will say, and I loved sitting in on classes when I went. It’s very cozy and homey and less sports oriented- they’re very much academically and arts focused.

Feel free to DM me if you want more detail!

1 Like

This is definitely more opinion than fact below… (Both my kids looked at Commonwealth; neither got in).

Both Winsor and Commonwealth have top notch reputations for academics.

Winsor strikes me as more “classic” prep school; Commonwealth is more artsy. Its reputation is only about academics (not sports, not extracurriculars, etc) really. Commonwealth was founded in 60s and always has been casual, their head has a background/experience with progressive schools…(though I wouldn’t call Commonwealth a progressive school).

Maybe my remembrance of the schools is a bit outdated since I went- it’s been 4 years or so since I applied! (Now applying for college)- apologies if I got something wrong!

They are both very high pressure.

Both of my daughters have applied to Winsor. One I think should have gotten in, but I was a private school rube and didn’t know about intake years and she applied for 7th. The other it wouldn’t have been a good fit. Both have ended up glad they didn’t go, as they have tended to not like girls they know who go there.

The Commonwealth kids I know are much nicer. Definitely not much of a sports program though.

I think that both schools are very sink or swim. Some kids thrive in that environment, you have to decide if that’s you.

1 Like

CW is similar to BUA I guess

1 Like

I think many kids apply to both schools, so much so they even have joint info sessions in the fall.

2 Likes

Thank you for the comments!

:grinning:

1 Like

Havent looked closely at commonwealth in years but yes reputation is pure academics and very small.

Winsor has expanded its facilities and is now more competitive in athletics than it used to be (and extremely strong in a few sports). It remains primarily academic and is an intense place (just like many other Boston area schools, even the public high schools). The Winsor girls I know are delightful and sweet.

Two very different schools. It’s apples and oranges. If your kid doesn’t know which one they want, I recommend touring above all. The following is the general idea of their differences.

Winsor is bigger, has more facilities and space, as well as a massive endowment. The student body is also wealthier and more athletic.

Commonwealth is not that. They take pride in their small, tight-knit community, tiny building, and upper-middle class student body. They are generally awful at sports and are the type to have philosophical discussions over ice cream. And, above all, Commonwealth is a strange brand of pressure cooker. Some of the kids are STEM students who are constantly freaking out, some of the kids are arts kids who are much more laid back, and the humanities kids are somewhere in the middle. There is no overt competition, but there is definitely an underlying, undiscussed feeling of it.

Also important to note: Commonwealth does not like to advertise itself. They like the school’s reputation to spread through word of mouth as it limits the number and quality of students that apply. Their general policy is that if you haven’t heard of them, you aren’t the right type. This does not mean that the school is unheard of by colleges or summer programs.

I wouldn’t say either school is better, it just comes down to what kind of environment your kid wants.

Good luck!

1 Like

If you are revisiting pay attention to student-student dynamic at Winsor. I have never heard anything good about it. Girls I know who have gone or currently go say it can be a very nasty, mean girl + academic pressure environment.

This post has been very informative. I have heard multiple cases of students who didn’t like Winsor and transferred out. Commonwealth school is small and appears very high in academic ranking. Since you mentioned they don’t like to advertise itself, I am surprised to see it obtained such a high private school ranking and superb reviews…

1 Like

I went to revisit both schools. Social wise: Winsor is a normal group of social kids who talk silly stuff. Commonwealth is full of kids who talk about academic related topics even when they are having a break over lunch.
Winsor’s classes that I tried were ok, not obviously better than my public school. Maybe I didn’t see their best part. Commonwealth seemed to have much stronger teachers in math, history, and probably others.
I feel if I go to Winsor, I will become one of the many possibilities: writer, musician, scientist, or sportsman. If I go to Commonwealth, I will become one of the quiet scientists.
I am not sure what to choose. Anyone who was in a dilemma like this before?

1 Like

You can be a writer, musician, scientist or sportsman by attending any school! Your dreams will not be limited by your high school decision.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I would call admissions and ask to talk to a current student with shared interests. I know many Winsor students well and I’m sure they would be happy to talk with you - comm should be the same.

I’m a huge fan of Winsor. And yes some kids do leave after middle school typically for coed. The middle and upper have different vibes and staying all the way through isn’t for everyone. Good luck!

Hi guys! I applied to Winsor and got waitlisted. They told me there’ll be updates by phone call on April 10th and 11th. What are my chances of getting off of the WL?

I am not sure people here can answer your questions. Chance is always there. Good luck!

What have you decided?

Yes. I commit to Winsor in the end. :smile:

4 Likes