Anyone gotten a booster shot?

Mix and match is unlikely to be a problem, although there are few studies on the subject (the vaccine companies have no motivation to study their competitors’ vaccines). Note that international students at colleges requiring vaccination may be doing mix and match if they were previously vaccinated with a non-college-accepted vaccine before arriving, and then got a different vaccine on arrival.

There have been some mix and match studies in the UK and China, but the vaccines involved are not the same as those in the US.

Adding to the previous two posts, these women should ask their doctors the best course of action. They might not necessarily need any booster if they also have had covid, plus the one JNJ shot.

This is how it worked for my initial shots at walgreens. I had to sign that I was eligible based upon my state criteria at that time.

Out of curiosity, I checked CVS and this is what it said for a third Moderna. And the local store had appointments for this afternoon. I will consult with my doctor about it at my appointment early next month, which will be seven months.

I need to schedule an extra dose (weakened immune system only)

Remember, you’re eligible if you’ve received a complete vaccine and have a weakened immune system. By selecting this, you’re confirming this applies to you.

I was in my local cvs today and the pharmacist happened to be at the counter and I asked her how busy the were with Covid shots or boosters. And she said that they weren’t. Plenty of appointments available same-day at their store. They even offer a no-appt drop-in at 5 pm every week day.

1 Like

My mother got her first 2 through UC Health, but got her booster weeks ago from a state sponsored clinic.

Anyone (12+) can walk into any pharmacy and get a vax. No waiting. However, the state just reopened 4 large clinics, 2 are drive through only, 2 are drive through or walk up.

For our local cvs, you have to check a box that you are immune compromised to make your appt. Anyone can check the box and get their shot. We got our 1st 2 Pfizer shots at hmo, Kaiser (we aren’t members). 3rd shots given at nearby cvs.

At least the FDA finally authorized it. Better late than never, I suppose. I have such sympathy for those who contracted breakthrough infections in the last seven weeks. Unnecessary suffering.

3 Likes

Hoping Moderna and J and J boosters are approved ASAP.

3 Likes

I think J&J will be approved soon because its study shows that the second shot does boost it to ~90% when it had been at about 85% with just the one shot.

With Moderna, its studies are showing that it is not waning after 6 months.

Note that an increase in effectiveness from an additional dose is not necessarily because of waning immunity (that everyone seems to be latching on to).

It may be that the originally specified dosing produced enough immunity against older variants, and that level of immunity is durable for a long time, but Delta’s higher viral load increased the risk of breakthrough infections against that level of immunity, so that one more dose would increase immunity and reduce Delta breakthrough infections.

Of course, a new version of vaccine targeted against Delta would be more effective against Delta than additional doses of vaccine targeted against the ancestral variant.

2 Likes

I got a message from my cancer center that since I had been a patient I qualified for the booster so I went for it today. So far no reaction.

7 Likes

I think however you can get the booster shot- go for it. I believe it can only help. There isn’t a product shortage and the providers don’t really care if you legitimately qualify. Just check the box.

4 Likes

Glad to see this has been bumped up. Good place for discussion about boosters.

Does yesterday’s statement by Walinsky mean that front line health care workers are now eligible?

Yes. CDC Director Walensky’s statement is fairly broad and does include heath care workers as part of those at ‘occupational risk’. I posted some more info here: Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion - #4843 by Mwfan1921

2 Likes

That’s what I just did. There were 41 appointments for vaccines available TODAY in our small town so there’s not a shortage.

3 Likes

DIL works in healthcare and has been offered the booster. She doesn’t have direct contact with patients so isn’t really a high risk. My first thought was that she probably doesn’t need it. She had her first shot while pregnant. She is still breastfeeding. She wants to get the booster to give the baby (now 6 months) as much protection as possible. From what I understand the baby got some immunity in utero from the vaccination but they don’t know how long the immunity lasts. The baby also gets some of mama’s immunity in the breast milk. Baby’s older sister just started preschool a couple days a week, so maybe extra protection is a good idea.

1 Like

My son, a physician, is getting his Pfizer booster next week. My husband and I, both in healthcare, had Moderna and want ours, but will wait a few weeks to see if Moderna comes out with a true booster. If they don’t, we will go ahead and get a regular 3rd dose. Our second vaccine was the 3rd week of January, so currently 8 months out.

2 Likes

That’s me. I want the 1/2 dose of Moderna. I’ll try to get a sense of when it might be FDA/CDC approved, but if it drags on too long, I will consider getting a 3rd dose. I’m really interested in the 1/2 dose booster, though, because I’d like to minimize the chance of side-effects.

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, I just had the full dose Moderna booster and the side effects were less than when I had my second dose. I know everyone reacts differently, but I just had a sore arm and was very tired the day after.

2 Likes