Anyone gotten a booster shot?

That is me, NP hoping for booster ASAP

3 Likes

West Virginia offering antibody tests to those 60+ and long-term care facility residents.

3 Likes

@Publisher , do you by any chance have ME-CFS? (Chronic fatigue, maybe post viral infection). Many people who do are feeling better after the vaccine. They don’t know why.

Thank you for your concern. I definitely do NOT suffer from chronic fatigue. Typically, a very high energy never want to sleep person, I now display normal energy levels due to allergies.

Never had any type of infection, but I do not sleep much due to allergies which interfere with breathing.

All blood tests indicate that I am perfectly healthy.

Severe pain in feet prevented me from running & I gained weight.

I need to relocate to an oceanfront location. Anytime I go down to sea level, my energy level soars. Both spouse & I suffer from allergies in our current location. In one respect, Covid has been a blessing due to the ability to work from home which gives us the freedom to relocate.

2 Likes

Rising demand for boosters. (My town does not require insurance info or ID)
Hunt for Covid vaccine boosters creates headaches for health care system (statnews.com)

1 Like

Off topic but everyone who works from home seems to have relocated to my seaside town, where I can no longer find a place to rent! Prices have soared.

Glad you don’t have chronic fatigue! I do think it’s fascinating that at least 50% of people with long Covid feel better after vaccination, and many people who never had Covid but have ME-CFS feel better also.

As soon as the FDA approves the vaccine for general use, it can be given off label to anyone, including people who want a third shot, and kids under 12. We will just have to find a doctor who has it in their office and is willing to give it. May have to pay for the visit.

2 Likes

People here seem to be assuming that vaccination becomes useless after 6 months.

But there could be multiple contributing factors to the reduced (not zero) effectiveness that was seen in Israel among the earliest vaccine recipients:

1. The B.1.617.2 / Delta variant shows some reduced neutralization by vaccine-induced antibodies, though not as reduced as B.1.351 / Beta. Currently available vaccines are targeted against the ancestral virus. (Prior natural infection with earlier variants would have the same issue.)
  2. The B.1.617.2 / Delta variant viral loads have been seen to be much higher, which could mean greater viral loads being exhaled, so similar exposure to a contagious person could result in a higher dose that is more likely to cause infection (including breakthrough infections).
  3. The earliest vaccine recipients tend to be those with high exposure (health care workers) and weakest immune responses (age 65+).
  4. Vaccine-derived immunity could be going down over time.

Most people seem to be assuming #4 is the primary issue, even though a combination of #1, #2, and/or #3 (with or without #4) could be the reason for the observations in Israel.

Getting a booster of a currently available vaccine targeted against the ancestral virus may help with #4 if that is an issue, but not so much with the others. So don’t get your hopes up too high if you get such a booster, because if #1 and #2 (and #3 if you fall into those groups) are the main reasons, it may not help much.

If a booster targeted against B.1.617.2 / Delta became available, that may help with #1 and #4.

4 Likes

Vaccine induced immunity is almost certainly fading over time, at least against mild disease and infection itself. So far, protection remains high against severe Covid.

Since we don’t know yet how likely it is for vaccinated people who get infected (even with mild or asymptomatic disease) to end up with long Covid, I would personally choose to get a third shot. So would my parents and in-laws (who are older and surely have immune senescence).

I don’t see the down side of getting a third shot, unless we would otherwise send them overseas. It seems that instead, many are just going to expire while waiting for an arm. If they create a vaccine tailored to delta, then I’ll get that too.

6 Likes

I have yet to hear anyone ever ask this, be it a talk show host or a journalist. There are now lots of questions about breakthrough cases, which continue to be minimized by the one asked (Very low chance of hospitalization or death if vaccinated!).

It is my #1 concern as a vaccinated person. I live in an area of high transmission with plenty of antivaxxers/antimaskers.

3 Likes

and maybe Lambda too and a few other Greek letters.

I’m a leukemia/BMT survivor on an immune suppressing medication. My onc. Had my blood checked for antibodies 6 weeks after my second shot and they were strong.
I asked about a booster and he said we should first check my antibodies again and go from there.

1 Like

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/03/health/san-francisco-supplemental-jj-covid-vaccine-booster/index.html

[and they’re not asking for a prescription.]

1 Like

It’s been found that most cancer patients will respond to a two dose series. The exception is B-cell lymphoma patients who are on medication that kills their B-cells, like rituximab. Same would go for rheumatology patients who are on B-cell inhibiting meds. No data thus far on whether cancer patients lose their immunity sooner than others.

1 Like

I have a feeling that a lot of people are simply going in and getting another dose, because they can. Even if there are state registries (and I would find it difficult to believe that there are accurate, updated registries and that pharmacies are checking the registries before administering requested Covid vaccines), a person can just go to a neighboring state. They can simply say they have no insurance, and receive a vaccine. Those who were responsible enough to get immunized are very likely going to just get themselves a third dose, without asking anyone’s permission.

2 Likes

That’s really unfortunate because we should be tracking that in order to collect the data.

1 Like

I agree, but people have this absurd desire to stay alive, rather than wait for a lumbering inept bureaucracy to give them permission to do so.

9 Likes

I took my daughter to get her second dose of Pfizer today. No ID, no insurance asked for (it was a state health dept site) and in fact they crossed the insurance info off the form. She signed the permission part of the form and the guy asked her age but not for her to prove it (she’s 25 and looks 12).

There is no question I could have stated I was there for my first shot, given them any name and phone number, and received the shot. AND a $100 gift card.

Interesting. It was difficult to get the vaccine many months ago.

I walked into a CVS fully insured & ready to get vaccinated. The store had two medical persons sitting alone with nothing to do but give Covid shots. I was refused. Told to go home & register via computer. Offered to register via computer /internet then & there.They said no. Go home & do it, you will be given an appointment time, then come back at that time. We were in the store for about 30 minutes & not a soul came in for a shot.

Went home. Tried to register. No appointments were available.

A week or two later was able to go through our regular health provider–had to make & pay for a doctor’s appointment to get scheduled for a shot at a later date. Went on the later date & received the first shot. Was given an exact time & place to return for the second shot. Waited a week or so for the second shot appointment. Went as instructed. Was refused the second shot even though we have great insurance & a specific appointment time, date, & location. They just sent us away. We had to contact out doctor’s office & then the health provider for a new appointment for the second shot. Took another day off work & we were able to get the second shot.

Just for fun, I am going to read about your experience & fantasize about nice health care providers giving shots & $100 gift cards. I want to live where you live.

1 Like

I’ve been in remission 6 years. It isn’t the leukemia that had me concerned, it’s the ruxolitinib (for chronic graft vs host disease) that weakens my immune system. Sorry if I was unclear.