Anyone used Music School Central for college consultant?

@mrlcpa: Zuckerman is just trying to make a living folks. I found him to be very knowledgeable and he does have relationships with professors at some of the schools which gives him an insider’s perspective. However, I found his program to be a poor value for the money. So, I generally agree with prior comments on the use of music consulting services. I’d recommend starting with a list of schools and making appointments at those schools to discuss the programs your daughter may be interested in. Unfortunately, it will take a bit of time, but you won’t regret it.

did you decide to work with him? Also considering but unsure of the return for such a big investment

@“MMW Nova” — maybe consider whether you have access to what the service offers. If you have music instructors, music faculty, or students who have gone through this process whom you feel you can ask questions about your child’s interests, current abilities and potential, and needed prep, then you might have a lot of bases covered. If not, the service would at least provide you that.

It was very hard to gauge playing level relative to other applicants until we had done some sample lessons with prospective teachers and D had attended a summer program. These lessons and her conversations with current teachers were especially valuable. Then a hard look at aid prospects helped us think about affordability. I used some sites that told the percentage of freshmen and ug in general who received aid (CollegeData and Princeton Review), and percentage of need met (for financial aid), to get a ballpark idea of the generosity of schools.

Schools that didn’t generally meet at least 60-90% of aid, we dropped from our lists (and the conservatory that offered merit/aid at the bottom in that range fell off the list due to expense). We did focus on smaller schools where academic merit aid was also awarded, however. I think best-known conservatories award mostly on talent.

Did you decide to work with Music Central?

I would not use him for composition. His services tend more toward Berklee type majors, and tend toward the commercial, which is fine. But Berklee should probably not be anyone’s top choice for classical composing, and Lipman comes from that environment. Certainly if film-scoring is the goal, he might be a good choice.

1 Like

Lipman of Inside Music Schools has a vast network of high-level faculty and
professionals that do the skills assessments, mock auditions, and private trial lessons. His added expertise is in knowing all the schools and the process. IMS works within all facets of the music field: jazz, pop/contemporary, classical performance, composition, songwriting, musical theater, and production/audio engineering.

@slipman2 as this is your first post I wonder if you might share your connection to Lipman.

@akapiratequeen Steve Lipman here! What a great resource College Confidential appears to be. As Director of Admissions and faculty member at Berklee College of Music for 40 years, I’d be glad to engage here with parents and students with questions about all things music education. Following years teaching harmony, ear training, and ensembles at Berklee, I led Berklee’s offices of admissions, financial aid, scholarships, and built the Berklee International Network of affiliated music schools across the world. In addition, I’ve worked with the GRAMMY in the Schools’ High School All-Star Ensembles, consulted on the creation of the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts (LIPA) and a range of other music education initiatives. I received a B.M. in Music Education from Berklee, after attending New York College of Music with a concentration in classical clarinet. I’m a member of the National Association for Music Education, the Massachusetts Educators Association, and Jazz Educators Network, was an Association for Popular Music Education founding board member, and served on the advisory boards of the Chapman Music Institute and Lagond Music School.

Would folks on the Music Major board here find it useful if I did an “Ask Me Anything” post, and offered insight as a longtime music educator and admissions professional on common questions and concerns?

Best of luck to all at the start of a new academic year, and in your college admissions journeys!

Admissions folks have been on here before and it didn’t work out very well. Lipman is no longer in admissions but has a business doing admissions consulting, it would seem. I would like to know what the moderator thinks about this post. Maybe he could contribute an essay similar to David Lane’s.

@compmom thanks for your reply. I’d be glad for input from the moderator, though the terms of service and rules for the site seem to say that current/former admissions officials, administrators, or faculty at a college or university are welcome as members of the site. I have no intention of promoting any kind of commercial service here. Engaging with passionate students and parents about music education has been my life’s work, and I was delighted to find this forum as place to do just that! Having taught music at the highest levels, and served as Director of Admissions at Berklee for decades, I hoped that I could offer an authoritative perspective on some of the common questions and concerns for the next generation of college and conservatory applicants. Of course, I defer to the community guidelines and moderator with respect to whether you welcome that type of contribution.

I think this is only a call for the moderators. If there’s not an issue, you are free to post as you like. You could certainly do an “Ask Me” post and see if people ask you! As a parent, I give advice on here based on a sample size of ONE (my D). But people do come here to commiserate, build community and get some answers. I don’t see an issue with a different perspective and I’ll take you at your word that you simply want to help. But again I’m an opinion of one.

My D had a Sat music school (with mock auditions, college search assistance etc), a good private teacher, competition experience and a big public school that sent students annually to all levels of music schools…so I did not feel the need to hire anyone. Still some people may want/need/be able to afford professional assistance. It’s not for me to judge. As long as all “college search methods” are respected (meaning that one method is not held up as the holy grail unless there’s data to prove that), I don’t see an issue. And if one arises (like being too “authoritative” lol)…well those things seem to take care of themselves. So it’s a welcome from me.

@bridgenail thanks for weighing in! sounds like your D had terrific preparation and support going into the college search process. curious: what was the Saturday music school she attended and where did she land for college?

MacPhail Music School in Mpls - Opera and MT Prelude Program (MNOpera also does a program for aspiring classical vocalists but my D was also interested in MT)

IU Jacobs VP

Excellent - you must be proud :slight_smile: Great programs. I know Todd Coolman in the Jazz program at IU Jacobs.

I was still wondering about your connection to Lipman of Inside Music Schools. Another poster asked about it and did not get an answer. If your posts aren’t trying to get business, then it seems like it would be fine- I really don’t have any idea and was just asking the question. Nice of you to offer. You have years of experience to share, I am sure.

I’ve started a new “AMA” thread and look forward to connecting with such passionate and engaged parents and students!
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/music-major/2155473-ask-me-anything-former-berklee-director-of-admissions-and-faculty-member.html#latest