AP Credit

<p>Wow, I just noticed that the university is really generous with AP credit. Graduating in 3 yrs or getting a BS/MS in 4 yrs could be a possibility. </p>

<p>I asked this question to the registrar and am waiting for a response, but someone might know the answer. If my son retakes a class that he has AP credit for, does he get credit for the course plus elective for the AP course or does he effectively lose the AP credit?</p>

<p>He got a 4/5 on the AP CS exam but he did it self-study, but he may want to retake the class just so he’s on equal footing with his classmates.</p>

<p>Your S would effectively “lose” the AP credit.</p>

<p>I think you would still have the credits, but they wouldn’t be applied. They would still be included in your credit totals (for classification purposes). At least, that’s how it appears in my daughter’s case. And yes, UA is very generous. My D came in with 55 credits from AP/CLEP.</p>

<p>I don’t think you’d get credits for both. AP credits go down as credits for particular UA classes, and you can’t have double credits for the same class (AP and real).</p>

<p>M2CK is right. You do not receive credit for both. You can, however, audit a class in which you have AP credit.</p>

<p>You can take an AP test on your own? Interesting.
For instance our HS has a tough Honors Physics class. At the end of the year you could apply to take an AP tet even though the class wasn’t listed AP ?</p>

<p>ParkTN: You can take an AP test without having an AP class. However, I would advise you to study the AP Physics B and AP Physics C syllabi on the College Board website. Physics B is trigonometry-based and C is calculus-based, but even beyond that, regardless of how rigorous your Honors Physics class is, it may not cover the same subjects as the AP tests. Also, at least at our high school, registration for AP tests takes place long before the end of the year. There is no application, you just go in and register and pay for whatever you want to take. I don’t know how you would register for a test not given at your own school.</p>

<p>Not a science class, but DD1’s HS had German 4 as it’s highest class. The class had 6 kids the teacher recommended take the AP test. DD took the AP test and passed (only 1 other student passed). At the end of the year DD1’s transcript showed a regular class, not an AP class. I think this occurred because the teacher was not certified by College Board to teach AP. </p>

<p>So yes, you can take a regular class and still take the AP test in the subject. If the teacher doesn’t support your decision with extra work, you would be well advised to use a good study guide and do the extra work yourself.</p>

<p>My son’s school didn’t offer AP computer science, only a 1 semester JAVA class, so he studied himself and took the exam.</p>

<p>I was hoping he could take the Intro to Programming class, get the credit, and use his AP Computer for elective credit towards his degree. I think I’m hearing that’s possible.</p>

<p>^^ I don’t think so. He’ll get credit for the specified class (see here: [Credit</a> by Examination < The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/creditbyexamination/]Credit”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/introduction/academicpolicies/creditbyexamination/)). If he takes that class again, his AP credits will not be used as elective credit.</p>

<p>You don’t receive credit for both toward your degree, but I believe you still retain the credits in your number of credits. It just doesn’t count toward your progress.</p>

<p>For those of you whose schools do not offer a wide variety of AP or IB options, check out this link:</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Early College](<a href=“http://uaearlycollege.ua.edu/benefits.html]University”>http://uaearlycollege.ua.edu/benefits.html)</p>

<p>UA Early College is a way for your student to successfully jump start his or her academic experience while completing actual college coursework for credit as a high school sophomore, junior, or senior.</p>

<p>If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I’ll put you in touch with my D2 who is a UA Early College Ambassador. It has been a great opportunity for her in addition our school’s generous AP offerings. :)</p>

<p>Especially with foreign languages, but also with other subjects, consider taking CLEP exams. they can be taken year-round and scores are released right after the test is finished.</p>

<p>UA is also very generous with transfer credit, so high school students should consider taking classes at a local college/university for credit. There are also some OOS community colleges, Clovis Community College in New Mexico being one of the most popular, that allow OOS residents to take two online classes per term, many of which transfer to UA, for around $500 plus textbooks.</p>

<p>Son got 39 hours of AP credit, and refuses to retake any of it. He may use the extra time cushion to pursue a double major.</p>

<p>You can take an AP test on your own?</p>

<p>Yes…My younger son never took AP English Comp, but he took the test and got the credits so he wouldn’t have to take either Frosh Comp classes.</p>