Ap credits being worthless?

<p>So, I heard that Pre med students need to take pre med classes again even with AP credits.</p>

<p>So does that mean AP credits are worthles??</p>

<p>You can still use the AP credits to bypass the lower level classes and take upper level courses in that subject area. But if you’re going to repeat the classes, you won’t end up using the credits. Presumably having taken the course gives you a leg up, and the AP credits still count, until they’re replaced by credit for the equivalent course, toward things like registration priority.</p>

<p>No, they arent worthless. My son used his.</p>

<p>You can choose to use and take next level…or you can pick, split, and choose. for instance, some premeds retake Bio 1, but use their AP credits for Bio II (boring plants), and then take another bio (genetics, cell bio, biochem, etc).</p>

<p>When you replace, you usually have to select a class with a lab.</p>

<p>when med schools say that they want 1 year of bio with labs, they dont mean they have to be bio I and II…you can take higher levels with labs.</p>

<p>for those who are gpa-worried, they retake them to make sure that they get As (but I still would use AP bio II credits to get out of bio II.</p>

<p>As for all other ap credits, it is super to use them.</p>

<p>and if you have AP English credits (I dont think you do), med schools will let you use AP credits if you also are taking 2 semesters of an Intensive Writing class (which Bama requires anyway).</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>They told me that some medical schools won’t accept AP credit, so I found this chart that Rice put out. <a href=“Redirect Notice”>Redirect Notice;
It seems like almost everywhere accepts the credit, especially if you supplement it with higher level work.</p>

<p>^^^
right.</p>

<p>the confusing part is that premeds cant think that they can just use the AP credits and think, ok I’m done.</p>

<p>^so it’s good as long as I supplement STEM classes with higher level?</p>

<p>and have labs …if that is what the med school requires.</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>