AP recommends students take fewer AP classes

Not everyone wants to add several years of grad school after undergrad.
It is expensive.

It is, but it doesn’t have to be (again, another topic). Certain degrees will always be costly (med school).

It is expensive at least from the point of opportunity cost :slight_smile:

Food for thought, questions I’d like to hear an actual AO opine on: at a high school that offers plenty of APs, are students who “only” take 6-8 AP classes, vs 10 or 12 or more, viewed less favorably in college admissions, with regard to rigor of transcript, or is there some number of APs at which the rigor is deemed sufficient for AOs? If student X takes more APs than student Y, and both students have all As, is student X more likely to be admitted than student Y, either because the transcript has more rigor, or because the class rank/decile/quartile is higher, or both? Does the outlook change if student Y has slightly more interesting essays or ECs or recommendations?

4 Likes

But why forfeit your learning program to an AO’s opinion?

That’s true, but some may feel it’s worth it if they are moving to a career that they truly want.

1 Like

To be honest, I’m not sure whether you’re trying to say that what AOs think (i.e. college admissions) shouldn’t be a consideration in choosing one’s learning program or that more (or fewer) APs = a superior learning program.

No one can answer that question because at schools that practice holistic admissions the totality of an application is greater than the sum of its parts. Personally, I’d be surprised to find that a difference of 1 or 2 AP classes is determinative, but what do I know. My sense is that once a certain academic threshold is reached (that may differ from school to school), the more subjective aspects of an application determine who gets in.

3 Likes

Generally if you are taking the most rigorous courses consistent with what you want to learn, and what you can manage without getting poor grades, you don’t need to worry about anyone else’s opinion beyond that point.

I think that in the ideal world, students who take a lot of AP courses are doing so because they want to take those particular courses and not because they think that they need 10-12 APs in order to impress Admissions officers.

The flip side is that in the ideal world, students who take fewer AP courses are doing so because they prefer the alternatives over the AP offering and they aren’t avoiding APs because they are worried that AOs would second-guess their motives around course selection.

Either way, the choice should be about the student selecting a course program that meets their learning goals and interests. However based on this thread, it seems like some worry that AOs will look down on students who take fewer AP courses than their classmates while some worry that AOs will look down on students who take an “overload” of AP courses. Both scenarios lead me back to thinking that students should not spend their high school careers obsessing over how their choices will appear to admissions officers at a handful of colleges.

3 Likes

I should rephrase to a retrospective consideration rather than prospective. One might want to know quite a bit about AO opinions, such as how the number of APs affect admission chances, when creating and categorizing the college list, and deciding whether to bother applying ED to a top school, for example.

The answer may be that it doesn’t matter, but if it did, then that would be helpful for students to know.

We’ve had one kid take 12 APs and half a dozen post APs, and another kid take 9 APs,5 Honors, and probably no post APs.

We did not think about callibrating each kid’s course selection to what someone would think. We as parents also did not influence either kid’s course selection. After the chips fell where they did (in terms of what the transcript showed), we (the kid exclusively in one case, and the kid with parent input in one case) made college decisions. I don’t know of an alternate way of doing these things.

The ED (or EA, as the case may be) decision is also a function of what grades show up in the transcript, what reccs you expect from teachers, what ECs you have, the quality of your essays etc – not just a function of the number of APs. The kind of APs also matters a bit – i.e., in the count of 9 above, that included AP CS P and AP CS A – strictly should not be counted twice. Also Calc AB and Calc BC. So I would net them out to just 7 APs effectively.

In both cases college outcomes were consistent with what I had expected for both the kids. You will have a very good idea by that point, after looking at your school’s Naviance etc. You won’t have surprises. It is a holistic judgment on your part. Not just based on the number of APs. Indeed in the case of the kid with the 12 APs, it is the post AP courses that are more relevant from a rigor point of view. And what the reccs would write about them.

No, I understand. You’re talking about having motivation or not (you’re also continually in your comments applying it to academic outcomes, which I am not limited to and is frankly tragic, but that’s another story entirely).

I’m talking about intrinsic motivation as distinct from extrinsic motivation. For my part, intrinsic motivation is almost always and universally a good thing. Extrinsic motivation may or may not be.

@1NJParent and what biases would those be? Do tell.

@TonyGrace I would agree that “more for the sake of more” is almost always driven by extrinsic motivation, at least IME, and why it is not preferred to intrinsic motivation. IMO anyway.

@blossom couldn’t agree more with your comment. Funnier, also tragic.

2 Likes

Yes, many AOs will say something like you are evaluated in your school context, but your sort of questions would help add some meat to those bones.

That’s a lot of APs and post APs (18?!). Did these APs begin in 9th grade?

My daughter (and I will go out on a limb and include her peers) would not be able to take 18 APs and post APs and still be as active as she/they were. It would cause too much stress, at least for my daughter.

Clearly you didn’t have anyone apply in the last two cycles.

1 Like

The nature of outcomes at our school did not change in the past several years

I think just 1 in 9th grade.

17 APs/post APs in grades 10-12 seems like a lot, but what do I know lol.

1 Like