Appeal letter to UCSB

Can you please review the letter of appeal for UCSB?

3/27/17

Dear Office of Admissions:

I imagine the process of admitting incoming freshman is daunting at best. Discovering I was not one of your first choices was discouraging, however, I am not a woman that rolls over and walks away without doing everything in my power to achieve my goals.

I began my college journey with the desire to help people. The drive was birthed when I was young; eleven years ago with my first American Cancer Society Relay for Life. I thought it was going to be a fun day with my family, but it was so much more. That night, while walking the track after dark, I heard the survivors’ and caretakers’ stories. My heart was touched by the fierce determination of the survivors and the love and sacrifice of the ones left behind. I have not missed a Relay for Life since, even walking the track in a full leg brace two weeks following surgery. In fact, this year, I am the captain of my team.

My love of service was spurred onward by my work with children. I have studied the Judo lifestyle for ten years now. What began as a means to learn discipline and develop physical strength morphed into leadership as I became the highest ranking female in the dojo It was my responsibility to teach the younger students the practice of Judo while being an example for them to follow. July 2014, I was slated to compete in the Junior Nationals tournament in Hawaii. I was in the best physical condition of my life. During a strenuous practice fight, my knee dislocated less than three weeks from the tournament. It was an injury that resulted in multiple surgeries over the next three years and possibly the end of my competitive career. I do not roll over and walk away, however, and I continue to volunteer at the dojo as time allows, mentoring and encouraging the young girls to continue in Judo and have received my referee’s certificate.

Serving children has been a love of mine in part from my work in the Dojo, but also from the time I spent volunteering and then becoming employed by a local Church in their day care program at the age of fourteen. It brings me joy to mentor youth and watch them blossom.

I started working for pay at fourteen for a local Church, but once I turned 15 ½, I was hired at a local sandwich shop where I went from entry level to night manager by the time I was 16. My leadership was noticed by management to the point when I was looking at other opportunities, the owner of the franchise asked me to stay on and that she would accommodate me.

My ultimate goal is to serve underprivileged children as a pediatric surgeon. I understand what it is like to be a young person going under the knife, having experienced multiple surgeries. I was fascinated by the process and researched each procedure thoroughly. I know I can make a difference in this world and I would be honored with the privilege of beginning my journey at UC Santa Barbara.

Was any of this information addressed in your personal insight questions? What is new and compelling?

Probably someone else will help with content, but I can offer a few minor editing suggestions:

discouraging, however I am not the kind of person who just rolls
This drive was born eleven years ago with
I did not allow this to stop me, however, and I continue to work in the Dojo [Don’t use the walk away image here because you are talking about an injury that could prevent one from walking, so it seems odd.]
in Judo, and I have received my
a love of mine, stemming in part from my work in the Dojo, but also from the time I spent volunteering and then working as an employee at a local church
[Don’t repeat that you started working at the church when you were 14 in the next paragraph]
When I was 15, I was hired to work at a sandwich shop, where I went from entry level to night manager in just six months.
to the point that, when I was looking
asked me to stay on and told me that she would accommodate me. [not sure what is meant]

Edited: I just saw @Gumbymom’s response and agree that the letter contains the kinds of things that you may have already mentioned in the application essays. You have to have new and compelling information that was not in your application in order to win an appeal.