Applying to STEM Colleges [for engineering, MD resident, 4.00 GPA, post-calculus math and lots of music, but only foreign language level 2]

If you are sure about GaTech, GaTech has an agreement with Montgomery College. If you will not make it, you can transfer from MC to GaTech. Also because of that agreement GaTech takes MC classes! Google Oscar GaTech and transfer database. It will show equivalency. If you are interested, I can help. You can PM me. I am from MD, I am GaTech Alum, and one of my kids is in GaTech now.

3 Likes

Oh ok, can I dm you my contact?

You can just DM me. I will try to respond late at night today.

1 Like

What’s the budget?

2 Likes

If you go to a school like MIT, you may have to retake a lot of those math classes. It’s fine that you’ll have very good preparation, but know not all schools will accept all those AP classes for credit or higher placement. And you may want to retake them because rumor has it Calc at MIT is not the same as high school AP calc.

I think you’ll do fine, just know what the requirements are when applying and for graduation (entry and exit can be different) and that you want to take those classes required to graduate. If you don’t like foreign language, don’t go to a school that will require you to take more.

Some years ago @sbjdorlo had a student who took advanced math at local colleges, went to MIT, and did get subject credit and advanced placement after MIT evaluated the courses taken (syllabus, book lists, returned assignments and exams).

Granted, not all colleges may be as willing as MIT to allow for subject credit or advanced placement for college courses taken while in high school.

MIT gives subject credit for 18.01 for a 5 on AP calculus BC, and allows starting in 18.01A with a 5 on AP calculus AB: https://firstyear.mit.edu/academics-exploration/ap-transfer-credit/advanced-placement/ . MIT 18.01 does cover in one semester what most other colleges’ calculus courses cover in a year.

1 Like

Gee, I haven’t been on College Confidential in years, ha-ha, but I got tagged by @ucbalumnus.

It’s true that my son, MIT 2016 graduate, took math courses in high school at the local community college and was able to get transfer credit for them (MV Calc, Linear Algebra, Dif. Equations) along with two semesters of community college Arabic. (That was his only foreign language, but here in CA, that’s worth 3 years of high school foreign language) He also got credit for his Calc BC exam score.

MIT didn’t allow (and still doesn’t allow) transfer credit for college physics courses, but did/does allow students to place out of freshman physics with two 5s on the Physics C exams.

I always recommend that students keep their syllabi, textbooks, TOCs, and chapters covered, and of course access to official transcripts for all college courses just in case. We had to scramble the summer before he went to college to contact professors from as far back as freshman year to try and get syllabi, etc.

Back then, my son doubled up on CC courses and AP exams, not knowing what, if any, transfer credit he’d get for AP scores or CC courses. He was homeschooled so it was quite easy to do.

He was very happy to not have to repeat lower-division math and was able to finish his math requirements in two years. He spent the next two years taking CS and music courses.

In recent years, with the emphasis on equity and access, more colleges are accepting community college courses for transfer credit, but policy changes all the time so it’s really hard to plan ahead. My advice is always to do what’s best for the student at the time.

6 Likes

yeah thanks, that’s fair enough

Only mechanics. But they do offer an internal challenge exam for E&M

IME, MIT is an exception. I can think of a couple of other exceptions, but I can think of many others that won’t give credit.

Of course, one has to first be admitted

@nks1

Any budget constraints?

If you apply to UMD, please do so in the EA round. They accept a very high percentage of their incoming class in the EA round.

yeah I will, I also passed their calc 3 exam in the first semester, will that have a direct positive impact on my app to UMD?

My daughter’s school required at least 2 years of language in high school. Most of my kids took Spanish 3 freshman year, so took another 2 - 3 years of Spanish afterwards.

Whose calc 3 exam?

Just apply early action to University of Maryland College Park
because most of their class is accepted in that early round.

And if you hope for any scholarship money from UMD
you MUST apply in the early round.

Really, you have plenty of math already
I’m not sure an additional course will impress anyone. You are fine with math courses.

Was a sat/act score mentioned?

I don’t recall an SAT or ACT score. Perhaps the OP hasn’t taken the test or plans to apply only to test optional or blind schools.

1 Like

Well, MIT is on the list and they require test scores. But no mention of scores from OP.

2 Likes

Oh yes, I apologize I wasn’t clearer. Mechanics only for the two AP exams, but as you pointed out, they can take a placement exam to test out of electricity and magnetism.

Check out Olin College of Engineering in Needham, Massachusetts (near Boston). It is an excellent school that offers lots of merit scholarships. It might be good affordable option to add to your list of colleges.