area rug for dorm room

<p>Does anyone know where we can buy a cheap area rug for my son's dorm room? It says on the housing website his dorm room, rug should by 9' x 12' size. Any places in the Madison area we can buy one when we arrive this August?</p>

<p>You can go to Menard’s (or probably Home Depot or Carpets Plus) and look at the many available remnants, or buy a cut-to-order self-padded piece in the desired dimensions from Menard’s.</p>

<p>Is Menard’s a department store?</p>

<p>Oh - just realized you are from California! </p>

<p>Has your son checked with his roommate? If the roommate is more local - he may be willing to bring the carpet piece and/or futon and you can split the cost.</p>

<p>Menards is a regional ‘home depot’ type of store.</p>

<p>Will you have a rental car when you are here?</p>

<p>[Menards</a> - Dedicated to Service & Quality&#0153](<a href=“http://www.menards.com/main/home.html]Menards”>Home at Menards®)
MENARD’S - MADISON WEST
430 COMMERCE DRIVE
MADISON, WI 53719</p>

<p>(about 8 miles from campus)</p>

<p>Yes, we are from California and we will have a rental car while we are there. So we can certainly drive to Menard’s now that I know where it is! My son has already talked to his roommate once and so far the roommate, who is from Minnesota, is bringing the TV and futon so we are responsible for the microwave and rug…
Also, on the website it says to buy a rug for his dorm room 9’ by 12’, but I am wondering if this size covers the floor space between the beds or the floor space under the beds as well. It seems like a big size to me.</p>

<p>Which dorm is it? A 9x12 rug would just about fit Chadbourne - which has fairly small rooms (The rooms are 10’8" wide and 15’6" long but the length includes the closet area).</p>

<p>(On the plus-side, Chadbourne rooms have central air conditioning, and come with a new, larger mini-fridge/freezer!)</p>

<p>Consider the softness of the rug for bare feet and sitting on the floor. Size stated could be maximum- check room dimensions on the dorm site. Many stores will have rugsbut may be out of them in late August. Shopko (another local dept store a la Target/Walmart), Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. can be checked on.</p>

<p>He will be in Bradley. And the rug size stated on the website is smaller than the room dimensions. He said when he stayed in Elizabeth Waters during SOAR the floors were cold and so a rug seems to be necessary. Guess we will have to wait and see what it is like when he moves in and go for there and hope we can find one somewhere or order one online for him.</p>

<p>You can get a smaller rug than the size stated. Since floor coldness on bare feet seems to be an issue definitely check the softness with a hand. Do realize that most dorms will not have air conditioning and the floors may not seem cold this fall. Flip flops to the shower and socks/shoes when it gets colder out in a few months.</p>