Art School admission 2020

@Graphitemovermom - thanks for the update and congrats on committing, that’s great! I love Pratt’s location/campus and vibe for my daughter, not to mention the premier reputation.

unfortunately, my daughter is becoming increasingly frustrated with Pratt - she has sent a few questions to admissions, but the emails have all gone unanswered. thanks to your link, we have the deferral info she asked for but she really wants a closer look at the program she was accepted to - she has questions! she was hoping the admitted student video might help, but that hasn’t arrived either. at this point, the clock is ticking and with no one answering her questions at Pratt, well … :frowning:

congratulations again to you - time to celebrate!

@ladybugpicnic One of the mass emails that they sent to out said to email visit@pratt.edu to schedule a phone appointment with a counselor. They responded next day asking for dates/time and his major. We responded that they got back to us same day with a date/time for the phone meeting. I would recommend that avenue of communication.

@Graphitemovermom - good tip on that email address, that’s not the one she’s been using - thanks!

Hello all, this information has been helpful. I am new to all this, but my daughter has been accepted into a number of schools and is having a very hard time deciding which to go to. Focusing on just the art schools she has gotten into:

SCAD
Cleveland Institute of Art
Milwaukee Institute of Art
Maine College of Art
Lesley University (which isn’t an art college per se, but they have a very developed art program)

She received large scholarships from all but SCAD, which was quite small. She wants to go for illustration, particularly sequential, comic arts.

I have heard from this thread some information about SCAD, but if anyone has any information about all colleges listed, if they have good programs, etc. I would very much appreciate it.

I know with everything in flux right now with schooling, we have thought about deferring, but do not want to lose her scholarships.

Daughter officially committed to Pratt today. Thanks for all the expert advice @BrooklynRye @JBStillFlying @ArtAngst

1 Like

Congratulations! So happy for you and an end to your very successful journey!

Daughter got off the waitlist at RISD and is now weighing RISD vs. MICA. We’ve been saving for eons and can afford either. Any thoughts?

@TheNicePolice - Congratulations! D2 did precollege at both of these. Liked the people at MICA a lot, but ID was not yet a major there. Also very much felt as if she was in a fishbowl. Surrounding area is not particularly nice. UMBC does not help. Hopkins a couple of miles away. This is not your Inner Harbor neighborhood. Chose RISD, not only because of the ID program, but because it’s RISD. The international reputation matters. Potential internships and employers spark to the RISD name. Opportunities through career advising and alums are there for the industrious and talented. Providence is a lovely city with easy access to Boston. RISD not without it’s negative aspects, particularly socially, but from the standpoint of a great fine arts education, opportunities, and launching a career, IMHO they are the best.

Pratt sent email today stating that decision to defer a year must be made by August 1. So, I guess we have until then to decide whether he’s class of 2024 or class of 2025.

I received the packet for Pratt’s deposited students last week, and I went through it recently and saw that we need to submit a health record by June 15, with a physical exam within six months of starting fall classes. That leaves me with a month to do this (and the start of this six month period would have just been 3 weeks before the quarantine here in NJ, so I can’t imagine many people would have had a physical exam during that time). I am not comfortable taking my son in to get an exam right now, and I’m not sure I will be comfortable anytime before June 15. Anybody else in this situation?

@Graphitemovermom your son can probably take himself in if he’s 18.

@JBStillFlying I mean that I’m not comfortable with anyone in my family going in to the doctor’s office right now, or even in the next few weeks, and potentially exposing him (us) to covid-19.

Hmm. A doctor’s office is probably a lot less crowded than the Costco on most days. Many are staying away. I’d think that’s the perfect time to go in. And unlike at the Costco, 100% of the medical personnel will be wearing masks and gloves.

It is unlikely that a doctors office in NJ will see him for a routine physical right now. Most are doing telemed only unless there is a problem that requires being seen. (RN in NJ here). I’m sure Pratt gets 6/15 May not be practical in many regions, including their own. I really would not worry about this in the slightest.

I also noticed the physical exam requirement for Pratt and emailed the health dept. a few weeks ago to ask if they were sticking to the deadline. The answer I got was “Yes” which I thought was a bit unrealistic, but Okay… so, I called my daughters physician and explained the situation and forwarded the health form to them- because they have been trying to limit appointments to tele-med. Amazingly, they gave her an appointment for this upcoming week - because the health form requires a TB screening. If you do have trouble with an apt. you should reach out to the health office.

@trillium6 I emailed health office as well, and they gave me similar answer about keeping the deadline but that if I was unable to get an appointment until after the deadline has passed to just let them know…which I interpret as they are going to deal with it if it has to be. I contacted the doctor, and it turns out that his last physical was June 13th, which is too far back to count for this evaluation, but too soon for me to make a new appointment before the deadline (insurance won’t allow for well visit within a year of the previous one, and it’ll take 1-2 weeks for the doctor to return the forms after a well visit). So I guess, the school is going to have to wait for the health evaluation either way.

@Graphitemovermom - When we completed those forms for Pratt (and other schools) I completed as much as I could beforehand. Vaccination history might be available via your DS’s portal (if he has one with his pediatrician) so I just attached that when I mail or upload. Our doc completes the rest and then signs and the nurse stamps the name of the practice and done! With telehealth it might be more cumbersome, but perhaps his provider can send it along directly.

Hello all. I’ve just read through this entire thread and feel super invested now in knowing where everyone ended up and how this year has gone with virtual classes or deciding to defer. Anyone still out there checking in and willing to update???

My daughter is choosing between Tyler and VCU for graphic design. I’m still unsure there will be actual, in person classes in the fall and wondering what our backup plan will be if not. Afraid to even start asking about deferring.

Anyway, hope everything went as good as can be expected for your students. It’s been a tough year. I’ve got a senior in college as well and it’s just been the worst.

This is the BEST thread on CC for Art - all my favorite posters are here, and so much good information!

Our DD made an excellent decision two years ago to attend a small liberal arts school, and had a great first two years. Unfortunately a couple of months before COVID, they literally demolished the art program’s main facility. Just like the Joni Mitchell song “They paved Paradise and put in a parking lot”. Kind of a perfect storm: with COVID, priorities have been elsewhere and new facilities have not yet been developed. She is strongly considering a transfer with a very broken heart. We live in CA, and she is currently a rising Junior who took a deferral year this year. She may switch to the atelier route and go to Florence Academy or Grand Central Art Academy in NYC, but we would prefer she gets a BA or BFA. Her “secondary interest” is social justice and entrepreneur programs in nonprofit. Her grades are excellent, and her professors were superior. We are just beginning the search, but are consider Cal State Long Beach, Cal State Fullerton, San Diego State University, or UC Davis on first blush on this board. I would love to hear options from this highly accomplished group on programs for a strong student considering a transfer. IF she decides to stay, her likely senior concentration would be on gouache painting on social justice issues. Thank you for any insight: I can’t believe we are starting teh process again!

Can I ask a Ringling specific question since you seem to have a lot of experience with different schools. ? Just wondering what size of merit aid is given out at ringling without regard to need. My daughter applied and did get some (2022 fall )startbut … still pricey. If I thought they might budge I’d politely ask what else they could do.