As if we needed yet another reason to love the University of Alabama!

<p>New Film Highlights UA FocusFirst’s Legacy
[New</a> FocusFirst Film Highlights Program?s Legacy | CESR](<a href=“http://cesr.ua.edu/new-focusfirst-film-highlights-programs-legacy/]New”>http://cesr.ua.edu/new-focusfirst-film-highlights-programs-legacy/)</p>

<p>Since 2004, approximately 800 University of Alabama students have provided free, high-tech vision screenings to more than 16,000 children ages 6 months to 5 years in Head Starts and daycares across 14 counties. A potential vision problem was detected in approximately 11 percent of those children, all of whom received, or are receiving, subsidized follow-up care through Sight Savers of Alabama. </p>

<p>With UA leading the way, more than 2,300 student volunteers from 23 campuses throughout Alabama have screened more than 175,000 children in all 67 counties, making Alabama the No. 1 state for diagnosing and addressing vision problems in young children. While vision screenings are most effective during the preschool years, when early treatment of many conditions can prevent irreversible vision damage, most children do not receive comprehensive screenings before reaching elementary school.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Awesome! I think that’s a Alabama Action activity that Bama kids do in August and maybe at other times of the year. </p>

<p>I think ldnct’s son did this.</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing the video. </p>

<p>Although my D is not is this film, she did help with Focus First during her AA time in the summer of 2011. My D and the other students would wake up at 6 in the morning and drive for 2 or more hours to places like Demopolis, AL to do the screenings. My D truly appreciated being a part of Focus First and loved working with the little ones.</p>

<p>I am glad to have a video to share with the family so they can see how UA helps the students impact lives in Alabama. RTR!!</p>

<p>Yes, S did this as part of AA week. He said it was a great experience.</p>