Ask Almost Anything About UR!

@aj4567
Oh man. Good luck with that; UR’s great for it. Fair warning; expect a pretty rough required workload with accounting, as you will probably be doing +5 units per semester to get the 41 units required for the final CPA certification.

@mamag2855, Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but my daughter is down to 2 choices which are University of Richmond and Rochester Institute of Technology. She is definite that she wants to pursue a science degree and is looking to major in computer science. As we live in Asia, we haven’t been able to visit any of the schools, but she has done the virtual tours and has been attending all possible webinars. She loves the idea of UR as a smaller, more intimate institution, but remains uncertain with her decision because she keeps wondering if a cs major will be better in a Tech school than in a Liberal Arts College. I understand that your 2 daughters were science majors, and I wonder if you can share their experiences at UR… like, how rigorous and competitive were the science programs, internships, career opportunities, etc. There were also recent stories of racism in UR and I wonder how much of an issue is that in campus.

Anyone know how roommates are paired up? Is it only by questionnaire and then the college pairs up the students? Is the questionnaire long with a lot of questions to try to endure good matches?

Or can kids find roommates on their own via social media?

@homerdog, when my daughter was a first year, it was kind of like Match for roommates, lol! It was actually pretty great. The students first filled out an online questionnaire (things like night owl vs. early bird, loud vs. quiet, messy vs. neat, and so forth). Each student could also write a short blurb about themselves. The match system would then send each student a list of other students who would be compatible. The list would say “95% match”, or whatever, and you could also read the statements they had written. When the student found someone who sounded good, there was a way to message them. When a pair decided to room together, they went online and requested each other as roommates. My daughter found her roommate this way, and they were pretty compatible. I’m pretty sure students can also just request each other as roommates if they’ve met through social media or IRL.

Not sure if anyone is responding in this thread any longer, but wanted to ask if there is a specific recommendation for a laptop for Freshman. My son was accepted ED25 and his birthday is this month. I want to get him a new computer, but would like it to be the one he can take to school with him. Any preference for PC or MAC? Input appreciated. Thanks.

Congrats to your new spider! My sophomore son and his friends / classmates have Macs. It’s what he had in high school and is his preferred laptop.

Thanks so much! We were leaning MAC so this helps!

Can anyone chime in on the Endeavor Program? There’s obviously the pro of having a unit that you get to know well in and out of class. Wondering if you end up getting closed out from other groups on campus? Any positive or negative experiences or observations to share are welcome.

1 Like

@DaddyHoosier there is supposed to be a virtual event on learning communities this week, not sure if you are signed up to attend. I am also interested in this topic so if you learn more, please share what you learn.

Not sure if you found it already, but there is a virtual session from 2021 on YouTube which discusses some of your questions. May 11, 2021: The Richmond Endeavor program - YouTube

1 Like

Does anyone know how generous Richmond is with financial aid appeals?

For anyone stumbling upon this later: I had to work with the FA office extensively because of unusual financial situations and information that needed to be corrected/updated. I found them to be very responsive, thorough, and fair.

2 Likes