Ask Questions about GW Here

@NananaStorm any communication with the Admissions department, reaching-out to your local Admissions Rep (you can Google it), even mentioning that you took the “virtual tour” available on GWU’s website work. As far as where your mom went to school, I don’t think that should matter in the decision process at all.

Hey there I am a potential transfer student looking for some help with a few questions I have about George Washington. Someone earlier mentioned the Economics department isn’t as prominent as some of the other areas of GW, but does anyone have some perspective from students on what they think about the Econ department? Also what is the housing like for transfer students as well as how much I might be looking at if I were to search for off campus housing? Transferring as a junior with a 3.85 gpa and a decent amount of volunteer hours so hopefully I might get in. Also what scholarships/aid are offered to transfer students?

@Kd6410
OMG NO WAY i applied to GWU too and I also did a year abroad with Rotary… what country did you go to??

@puppy61200 I PM’d you!

I’m wondering how the unusual dining plan approach works for socializing and meeting people at the beginning?

@BlueDog457 I don’t recall if I’ve mentioned it in this thread or a separate one, but I have two very close friends that graduated with econ degrees and were very happy with how it has prepared them for work. Both found amazing internships while at GW which later turned into jobs upon graduation. One is currently pursuing his PhD at a university in California (don’t recall which.)

There is no longer separate housing for transfers, so you’ll be assigned whereever there is room and potentially related to your preferences. As a third year, you’ll get to choose from all dorms, so chances are pretty decent that you’ll end-up in one of the apartment-style dorms. Also, unless you receive an exemption, you’ll be required to live on campus as a third-year. If you do receive one, however, you’re looking at $1,600+ for a studio close to campus. Most room with other people to split costs, so that’s an option as well. If this is the route you want to go, you can always private message me for areas to look into and/or to stay away from.

@Hagiograph GW’s “dining plan” is definitely a hindrance to meeting students when you’re new- unless, of course, you live on the Vern and have an actual dining facility. Don’t worry too much, though, because there are plenty of other ways to meet new people. In the first few weeks there are A LOT of events on campus (Welcom Week stuff) where you’ll run into a lot of other students. Plus, you’ll get a chance to meet some students before classes even start- while attending Colonial Inauguration. Further, don’t underestimate the ease of making connections after classes, at the library, in your dorm, and on the Vern Express (you’ll have at least one class on the Vern).

Thanks for this extensive post – great info!

I’ve seen your past comments about SEAS and how the engineering department has been rapidly rising, but I’m wondering about its specifics and how it compares to more known colleges for engineering such as UVA or UMich? Also, do you know how big class sizes might be in comparison to classes taken within Elliot and whether graduating from an international affairs school for STEM might be offsetting for employers/grad school? Thanks!

@mintycanvas You can’t really compare GW with UMich and UVA when it comes to engineering. Per this year’s USNews rankings, UMich is #6, UVA is #34, and GW is #82. I would think UMich is very tough to get into, and perhaps even UVA. If you want to be the absolute best engineer you can be, either of those two would be a great pick. While it’s true that GW’s program is improving, it’s not a “proven commodity” yet. Will you receive a poor engineering education from GW? Absolutely not. A lot of your undergrad experience is what you make of it (good grades, networking, preparing for grad school, etc).

Class size depends on the subject, but after looking at 10 different classes this next fall, sizes range from 20 to 60 students (with 10-20 in labs). In the Elliott School (International Affairs, specifically), after your intro class of 280 students, classes range from 20-40 students.

And as far as graduating from an “international affairs school” (which I wouldn’t call GW just because that’s the highest-ranked school within the University) with an engineering degree, that shouldn’t matter much. What will matter if you’re looking-into careers and/or grad school is your GPA and how well you networked while at GW.

Best advice for a freshman girl going into the Elliot School of International Affairs next year? This can be general tips for school life and social life(ie. sororities, making friends, clubs, etc.) or specific advice for students at the Elliot School (ie. good/bad professors).

As a parent of a current freshman, for Econ, the best professor out there is Irene Foster. Also do you have a particular foreign language in mind.? For social life, you will meet many from when you attend CI, and from your dorm/floor, but also there is a club fair that I seem to recall. Rush is done right after spring semester begins.

This is really specific, but what’s the kitchen at Thurston like? I mean it says there’s only one kitchen for 1000 freshman, so I’m assuming it’s pretty dirty? Also, do they keep pans, spices, basic cooking necessities there or do students have to bring their own?

I was wondering about the politics and values program - did you need to be invited to that or can you join when you come to campus? I’m seriously considering coming here in the fall but I need a little reassurance that it isn’t difficult to find a group/friends. Does the lack of a “typical” campus hinder/ make more difficult your ability to make friends? Any advice appreciated! :slight_smile:

@collegefrenzy411 my advice isn’t specific to females or Elliott students, but… take full advantage of attending GW by utilizing internships, networking, joining clubs, and enjoy being in D.C. I had a great time at GW, but it could have been even better if I took better advantage of the opportunities. As far as social tips: always say ‘hi’ to new people, especially the first few weeks; attend the student org fair early on in the semester and join a group; keep your dorm door open the first few weeks (as long as your roommates are cool with it) to encourage other to pop-in; be open to new experiences.

@rosebudd21 the kitchen is pretty nasty despite a new batch of residents every year. Students have issues cleaning-up after themselves, lol. And yes, there are basic cooking utensils there.

@doglover2345 I’m not certain, but I think you apply to the Politics and Values program when you apply to the university. And no, I wouldn’t say it’s difficult to find a group of friends. If you’re not super shy and/or unapproachable, you should leave CI (freshman orientation) with a few new friends whom you may even decide to room with. From there, it’s really easy the first few weeks- just step a little outside your comfort zone and chat with every new freshman you meet.

Is it difficult to transfer into the school of media of media & public affairs once your in GW?

@doglover2345 Politics & Values is a live learn community (there is a more in depth description of the course work o the GW website.) You must be invited to participate and all members live in Somers on the Vern. If you are interested, you could email Professor Goldman and let him know. If they haven’t filled all of the spots, I’m sure he’ consider you. Hope this helps!

When are transfer decisions coming out? I know it is by June but when is the first wave!

@collegemom38 I’m not sure how difficult it is to transfer into the SMPA. I know that Elliott is difficult in general, but haven’t heard anything one way or the other for SMPA. I assume it all comes down to how well the student is doing at the time of application.

@clan123 No one call tell you for certain when decisions will be out. Your two best bets are staying in touch with Admisions and also monitoring Twitter.

How hard is scheduling classes freshman year? I’ve been trying to create mock schedules like they’ve suggested and it’s very difficult to find back-ups for specific times. I’m a policomm major if that makes any difference and I plan on taking a combination of 5 of the following: either PSC 1001, 1002, or 1003, FREN 1001, STAT 1053, ECON 1011, ASTR 1001 or 1002, and ANTH 1002. I know I need a UW 1020 freshman year, but so many have already been closed by upperclassman so I’m gonna try to wait until next semester to see if any interesting topics are open. Honestly any advice on scheduling is greatly appreciated!

they will continuously add UW1020. I think last fall they had about 100 sections. PSC 1001 is also going to be extremely popular in fall but more accessible in the spring. with ECON 1011 some professors will fill up more than others. Foster is the best one. My D did Anth in the spring and had no issues getting it. FREN 1001 should not be an issue. and not sure about Stat or Astr.