Athletic Pre-Read/Early Read

Google is your friend, as my sons have told me many times.

2 Likes

LOL
I did but see either University of Alaska / Anchorage or United Aviation Assoc

Found it
for those who are not Google saavy -< (me): The University Athletic Association (UAA ) is an American athletic conference that competes in the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s (NCAA) Division III. Member schools are highly selective universities located in Georgia, Illinois, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Ohio, and New York. The eight members are Brandeis University, Carnegie Mellon University, Case Western Reserve University, Emory University, New York University, The University of Chicago, University of Rochester, and Washington University in St. Louis.

1 Like

since the LL season has fully kicked in, would it be possible to ask the LL concentration for swimming in each of the ivies by 1st Nov 2022? Has that number gone up by 1st Dec 2022?

Brown (), Columbia (), Cornell (), Dartmouth (), Harvard (), Penn(), Princeton (), Yale ()

I doubt anyone has this info besides the coaches and admissions staff at each school.

If you want to know if there is still room for a recruit on any of these teams reach out to the coach.

Am actually asking for Y2024 candidate to get an idea of which schools gives gives more LLs to their candidate pool in general

You asked about 8 schools, all of which are in the Ivy League. The number of Ivy League recruited athletes is capped at ~230 annually by the Ivy League, but only Harvard and Princeton are close to that number. Most are in the 200 range. Those numbers have remain unchanged

How it breaks down by sport annually may vary depending on the needs for that particular year.

2 Likes

Would be helpful to look at the roster’s of each team and see the number of freshman vs seniors to get an idea of team size - agree with all about there is not an easy way to tell who had full support and who had soft support.

All this is true, and you can gain a lot of other valuable information from the roster. Most schools have archived rosters. Going back a few years, you will be able to discern the size of each year’s first year class as well as the average first year class size (my guess is that there will be some variation from year to year). Differentiating walk-ons from recruits is difficult, but many schools also publicize their recruiting class in the “news” section of the team site. If they do, you can simply subtract the recruiting class from all first years on the team. The only way to discern the LLs from the rest of the recruiting or first year classes is to ask the coach how many LLs are issued each year.

There is much more to be gleaned from historic roster information. For example, how many first years have actually competed over the years and, by contrast, how many are on the practice squad. What times would allow a first year to compete in a given event. How many first years leave the sport and at what point during their college tenure does that happen.

2 Likes

With my D’s ED decision day rapidly approaching, I have a question. D verbally committed to a NESCAC back in early July. Applied ED, as agreed upon. She has been in regular contact with the coach this fall, every 2-3 weeks. Coach told her commit group she could see their portals and let them know when everything was turned in and all set, etc. My question is, what is the general consensus regarding whether the coaches know ahead of the actual ED decision time/date whether a student has been definitively accepted? Obviously, odds are that D has been, but it’s a very selective school, and as we know, after all it’s an admissions decision, so no guarantee. Coach sent her recruit group an email this afternoon saying that she was sure they were nervously waiting to hear, so to text her as soon as they hear when the decisions are announced. Just wondering if coaches know ahead of time (or if they can “see it”), or they literally don’t know for sure until the specified announcement date/time.

That’s where the NESCAC schools prohibition of Likely Letters on or after 1 st October doesn’t formalize the mutual oral commitment in writing, and forces athletes to anxiously await decision day like every other early round applicant.

the coaches must know, but they need to wait for admissions formally make the communication

1 Like

No. Kids that have received an offer of support with admissions from the coach, at even the most selective of nescacs have exactly the same degree of confidence of admission as kids who get coach support at schools with likely letters. In other words just because a school uses likely letters, applicants have no greater assurance of admission. A bona fide offer from a nescac coach is as close to a guarantee of admission as anyone can get. In my opinion you are blinded by likely letters and are missing the bigger picture.

But, yes, coaches will not let an applicant know, admissions will.

7 Likes

My opinion? Yes but they won’t tell her.

My daughter’s coach knew a lot of things before she did, including D’s grades. Once she called daughter into her office to yell at her for skipping a class. Daughter hadn’t skipped but had gone to an earlier section and the prof recorded the attendance wrong.

You may be correct in practice, but when my son received his likely letter from an Ivy, I took great comfort in this sentence from the Joint Ivy Statement: “Likely letters will have the effect of letters of admission, in that as long as the applicant sustains the academic and personal record reflected in the completed application, the institution will send a formal admission offer on the appropriate notification date.”

1 Like

Fwiw, I have never seen a single instance of a Likely Letter (which to reinforce, come from the admissions office, not coaches) not resulting in an offer of admissions, absent an especially egregious incident which would have resulted in an acceptance being rescinded.

2 Likes

Yes, I wasn’t saying you can’t count on likely letters, of course you can. My point was you can also count on a bona fide offer from a coach at other selective schools not using likely letters.

Does every athlete expecting a likely letter receive one? My impression, though my son wasn’t recruited at a LL school, was that the vast majority do, but it is not 100%. Kind of like other coach offers.

2 Likes

Correct

Ah, OK. I have no experience with NESCAC, so I’ll defer to others on that.

1 Like

I don’t have an answer to this, but I thought all the NESCACs had already sent her ED’s. Obviously there’s at least one left! Best of luck. It sounds like it will all work out.

1 Like

Our son was recruited by NYU. We were told they don’t issue likely letters. He was contacted by the admissions liaison for the athletic department who requested all his academic records, test scores, resume etc. Two weeks later the coach called with “good news” — he was a “yes” if we followed a very specific roadmap: Test optional. Undecided as first choice. Liberal Studies Core as second choice. Early Decision.

That’s what we did. He was rejected.

In the interim, being decent humans, he contacted all the other coaches he was in talks with and let them know of his decision to go ED elsewhere. They, being decent coaches, moved on without him.

He’s happy enough at his school but the experience soured him completely on competing in college. He retired from his sport in June, when he graduated.

5 Likes

Your statement is a proof verification of the importance of securing NLIs/LLs where possible, and that they are a guarantee of admission direct from the admissions department that are (however slightly, but in your son’s case massively) superior to a sheer orally communicated “full coach support combined with admissions liaison from the athletics department”.

this illustrates @cinnamon1212 statement
“My point was you can also count on a bona fide offer from a coach at other selective schools not using likely letters.” is correct I theory most of the time, but in practice not always.

1 Like