Athletic Pre-Read/Early Read

Some pre-reads may not be offered admission. Some may choose another team. Some may not gel with the team on the OV. The coach needs more pre-reads than spots to cover the losses along the way.

2 Likes

looks like the minimum is to qualify in terms of both academics and sport (in this case, swim times) performance. beyond that it becomes a reciprocal courtship and vibe check with the coach, with the understanding that the most effective process both parties seems to be pursuing several discussions as the offices in time. resembles a mixture of Tinder and the NFL Draft

1 Like

Yes, so much like the draft. Just because you’re a top QB pick doesn’t mean you pick your team. The team you love may need players at several other positions more than another QB. But the team that wants you will be clear about it.

2 Likes

Also how the swimmer vibes with the team on the OV!
Many coaches value the feedback from the team after the visit before extending the offer.

@BKSquared, I don’t think I agree that tips connote less support than slots. Slots simply mean that the coach can go lower in academic prowess - a student that in all likelihood would not be accepted without the slot. You could have the no. 1 recruit who has straight As and top board scores and doesn’t get the slot because it would be wasted on that recruit. I actually had a Williams coach tell me that story, the adcom telling the coach that the slot wouldn’t be needed for the high achieving athlete (even though the coach wanted that athlete the most). I certainly agree that if a recruit is no. 5 on a list of 5 and a D1 athlete drops into the coach’s lap, no. 5 (who probably is a tip) end up disappointed.

Where I do think there can be confusion is when the coach says “we’d love to have you on the team,” but doesn’t submit a pre-read or do the other things to indicate to the athlete that he or she is being recruited. It could be a family’s first outing with recruiting and they think their kid is a recruit. Or, a coach doesn’t convey the results of a pre-read properly. It is a stressful process, and it is easy to get fooled.

2 Likes

Agree in general though most of the very top academic schools are need blind when it comes to the financial aid package and many do not offer much if anything for merit. It may vary by sport and school, though if you are a #1 recruit, the financial aid package, which some of the schools still call scholarship, (need based scholarship) is not supposed to be impacted by being a recruit.

I am going off the Amherst statement on athletic admits. It does seem there is a different standard between an “athletic factor” (slot) vs a “coded” (tip) athlete. chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.amherst.edu/system/files/media/PlaceOfAthleticsAtAmherst_Secure_1.pdf

Practically, if you have a tip and extremely high academic achievement, your probabilities are likely the same as a slotted recruit. However if the app is not quite as strong, it does seem as if the AO has more discretion to reject. I agree though that coaches are trying to maximize their recruits by saving slots for true impact players who might not have the highest academic credentials.

1 Like

But instead of parsing the policy, why not look at what actually happens? Have any Amherst recruited athletes not been admitted? Extremely unlikely, given news like this spreads like wildfire. So, whatever you call it, if you have full coach support, you are getting in to Amherst. And most other schools. The ones where coach support means less are known.

2 Likes

I remember a long thread about “beware of soft support”, I think it was about one of the Maine schools that generated a lot of other anecdotes. Also, wasn’t there some hubub last year about supported athletes not getting accepted – I forget which school(s)? Agree that a lot of the rejects probably were never really supported, but among the recruits, I think it more likely that it would be the tips.

IIRC, last year there were several posts about recruited athletes being deferred and/or denied from Wesleyan. Is that accurate, @Mwfan1921?

Yes, and this year it’s Bates (I think a few deferrals, not denials). Bowdoin was also the subject of the ‘beware soft support’ thread. I also just heard of an Ivy LL recipient who was deferred. Whoever mentioned above that these things spread fast thru the counselor community is exactly correct!

ETA: corrected the school that was the focus of the beware soft support thread: Prospective Bowdoin Athletes-Beware the "soft support"!

2 Likes

My S21 was a swim recruit. You have to be EXTREMELY careful reading too much into where they place on the current roster. I agree with previous poster that looking at conference times is much more useful. Just as an example - my son would have been the #2 swimmer in a particular event at a school, but the school had no interest as they were strong in that event at conference and they had several freshman/sophomores in development. While at another school he was something like 4th and the coach was extremely interested as most of the swimmers in that event were all seniors graduating or at best juniors and they the really needed someone. Some coaches also put a huge benefit on versatile athletes, where even if they’re not currently the top 4 scorers can contribute in multiple events and believe they will get faster vs someone who is only strong in one event. Best of luck - it’s a stressful process and a whole lot can change in a year!

6 Likes

Given how clear the Joint Ivy Statement on likely letters is, I’m sure everyone would like to know the facts on the deferred Ivy LL recipient.

Adding that with OVs able to happen in Junior year now (which not all coaches do), I expect there are more than a few verbally committed 2024s already.

Totally agree, the only thing that adds to the drama is this is not an athlete. Yep, an LL in ED to a non-athlete. Advice was to actually get a copy of the LL, perhaps there was a misinterpretation.

1 Like

Or a really nasty “joke”.

1 Like

The Ivy recruit you are talking about recieved a likely letter from admissions and then was deferred? I have not heard of that happening.

Like I said, not an athletic recruit.

Not sure what you mean, but this whole situation was strange and outside normal communication channels from the get go (note, not one of my students). But because not an athlete, I realize off topic for this thread!

I realized it wasnt an athlete after posting.

That is especially strange because there was no reason for admissions to offer the likely letter in the first place, except to let the applicant know they were really out-of-the-ordinary wanted.

2 Likes

Meant that the LL was fraudulent vs a misinterpretation of a legit communication.

2 Likes