Attainable Awards or Academic extras

D25 goes to a big high school and she’s a pretty exceptional student. She is currently taking 5 APs (prior years 1 AP each and the rest honors) and intends to take 5 APs again next year. 4.0 UW. She does a couple extracurriculars, some volunteering and varsity sports starting this year.

My question is that I don’t really hear about anything outside of school clubs that she can do additionally. When I was in high school, I took part in some monthly(?) math test that occurred by mail (if I recall correctly, it may have been mensa-adjacent and they offered me to do it based on standardized test scores?). Are there things that she could apply for that we’re just not aware of? I’d love some suggestions of additional organized/existing things that she could apply for or pursue on her own. She’s pretty well-rounded so a broad set of things would appeal; loves reading/ELA and history, quite good at math, etc.

To me it sounds like your daughter is doing very well.

You should read the “applying sideways” blog on the MIT admissions web site. The point, as I understand it, is that each student should do what is right for them, and do it very well. What was right for you or me, what is right for your daughter, and what is right for each of my two daughters, may be entirely different. However, if we each do what is right for us, it improves the chances that we will get into very good universities that are a good fit for each of us. We have used this approach, and it has worked well for us.

The other thing that you might want to keep in mind is that the famous universities (on the Harvard, MIT, Stanford level) are each a good fit for some very strong students, but they are not a good fit for all very strong students. After graduating from MIT or Stanford (or both) recent graduates will find themselves working alongside very good coworkers who are from a very wide range of universities, and in most cases and for most jobs no one will care where you got your degree(s).

Also, as parents to a large extent we need to have faith that our kids can handle themselves.

Which might be a long winded way to say that I think that your daughter is already doing very well.

2 Likes

Thank you! I totally agree, if that didn’t come across :slight_smile: I’m definitely not seeking to force her to do more and don’t find her lacking at all. But she’s pretty competitive in life and I just wonder if there are things that she and I just aren’t aware of that would be good/easy fits for her to look at.

1 Like

Why not join a club or sports, walk dogs at the shelter, get a part time job, etc. awards are nice but not necessary to show well roundedness.

3 Likes

What she is already doing seems fine to me for most colleges. If she loves history, she could submit a project for National History Day. Winning at the local level would propel her to nationals and would be a feather in her cap. She could become a reading buddy at your local library or elementary school. She could also tutor elementary school students in math and/or reading. My children were tutors and found it immensely rewarding.

Joining a math circle is a popular activity for strong math students. Math circles are usually hosted by colleges. For example, there is the Stanford Math Circle. The math circle I am familiar with prepares kids for the American Mathematics Competition (AMC) and the American Invitational Mathematics Examination (AIME) and sponsors a team that competes in the American Regions Mathematics League (ARML). The kids who participate seem to really enjoy it.

There are myriad of ways to show well-roundedness. My philosophy has always been to follow my child’s lead and look for ways to expand their existing interests.

A lot of universities offer free MOOC to high school students. My child (who liked to learn for the sake of learning) watched the first few lectures in topics they thought they might want to major in. They didn’t complete any of the courses. They didn’t list it on any college ap. However, it gave them a better sense for what they wanted to study and, in my opinion, helped them to articulate that in their college essays.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.