Attending University of Alabama

<p>I have been accepted to the University of Alabama as a Crimson Connection student due to my ACT score being low but my GPA being high. Could someone tell me a little about the Connection program? Also I am confused on what all I have to pay for? I know I have to pay the Freshman pre tuition and pay for orientation and also pay 25 dollars for housing. But while I was looking on the housing page it said something about me having to pay 225 dollars?? So could someone tell me what and how much stuff new freshmans have to pay for?? Also where would be some good places to get student loans??</p>

<p>yeah housing deposit costs 250, so you have 225 more dollars to pay.</p>

<p>I think those accepted with Crimson Connection have to attend some homework sessions or something in the fall to make sure that you succeed. :)</p>

<p>Yes…the rest of housing is the deposit (pre-payment for fall).</p>

<p>Are you instate or OOS?</p>

<p>Have you gotten your FA pkg yet?</p>

<p>How much will your parents pay?</p>

<p>Ok I am glad to hear that the pre payment tuition counts towards the housing. I thought I had to pay 225 for housing and the 200 for pre pay tuition cost… I am an instate student and I have not gotten a Financial Aid package because my parents havent done there taxes yet. They are getting them done soon…</p>

<p>The Bridge Program & Crimson Connections will provide hands-on
support for entering freshmen in the form of study halls, social programming & targeted academic
events – This will help students transition well into college life at UA – For details, call 205-348-2478</p>

<p>In regards to financial aid, call UA’s financial aid office and ask them for guidance.</p>

<p>Ok so it will be fine with being in the program? It will most likely benefit me right?</p>

<p>Call the program and ask your questions. Most colleges have bridge programs which help the students become highly successful in college. You have to do the work but these programs are designed to help you make the best of your college experience. When you call the program ask if you can talk with a student who has attended the program. Most students will give you a clear picture of what the program has to offer and why some students are successful and others are not. Good luck!</p>

<p>Yes…it’s good for you!</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>^^^Ditto what Mama and mom said above.</p>

<p>So you are for sure that all I have to pay is 200 more dollars and then that will take care of housing and the pre pay tuition?</p>

<p>I think so…what have you had to pay so far?</p>

<p>Also…what is your FASFA EFC?</p>

<p>My EFC on my fasfa was 6800.</p>

<p>Ok…I was seeing if yours was low enough for fee waivers.</p>

<p>Are you instate or OOS?</p>

<p>Student is instate. See #4 above.</p>

<p>oh…thanks…missed that.</p>

<p>Ok…please tell your parents that the best aid is given to those who submit the earliest. Have you at least done “will file”?</p>

<p>I am in state, also I am in an upward bound pre college program for kids who parents didn’t attend college or low income families who would I talked for a fee waiver? Yes I put will file and UA emailed me and I printed out a form I have to fill out and mail back along with my parents tax return and there w-2 forms.</p>

<p>Your EFC is too high for fee waivers…you have to Pell eligible. :(</p>

<p>So are you saying that I can get a pell grant?</p>

<p>You are not eligible for a Pell Grant as your EFC is too high.</p>

<p>Since you are in Upward Bound, make sure that you also apply to TRiO SSS (Student Support Services). [SSS</a> Homepage](<a href=“http://www.ctl.ua.edu/sss/]SSS”>http://www.ctl.ua.edu/sss/) It’s a lot like Crimson Connections but is federally-funded and can last all 4 years. AFAIK, Crimson Connections is a one-year program. I hear lots of good things about the TRiO programs from students who participate in them, including the advising, tutoring, and camaraderie. </p>

<p>In terms of applying for financial aid, it seems that your parents have completed FAFSA, but used estimated tax numbers as they have not filed their tax returns. For future reference, they need to get their taxes completed in February if at all possible. This allows your financial aid information to be complete, remembering that you need to complete the FAFSA each year, before the March 1st priority deadline. While they can legally wait longer, it could jeopardize your financial aid package and delays any tax refund(s) they may be expecting. Your parents likely qualify to use an electronic program and efile their taxes for free, which makes the process a lot quicker.</p>

<p>In terms of loans, how much are you planning on borrowing each year and what is your intended major/career? You will be offered Stafford loans of up to $5500 your first year, but if you are needing to borrow more than that, you will need to look into private loans. Depending on how much you intend to borrow each year and your intended major/career, there is a possibility that you will be taking on too much debt.</p>

<p>In terms of deposits, you would owe $450; $200 being for the enrollment deposit, $225 being for the housing deposit, and $25 for the housing application fee. The housing deposit and housing application fee are billed together.</p>

<p>housing deposit due 4/1/12 (tomorrow) for guaranteed on campus housing and online sign up.</p>