Audit Question

<p>How exactly does auditing a class at UA work? </p>

<p>DS took Calc III in the Fall of his H.S. Junior year from the local University (Distance, so mostly self-taught) and did extremely well. He is considering auditing the class this spring since it has been more than two years since the course, and he wants to make sure he’s still sharp. (I have a feeling he also misses arguing math with a professional…). So - does anybody know what he should do next? It’s probably the only semester he can fit this in.</p>

<p>momreads’ son audited a math class, so if she sees this thread, she probably could give you more info.</p>

<p>I do not know how auditing works, but I’m looking forward to what others know about this process.<br>
What is his major, and what further math does he have to take, if any? What math has he taken so far, or has he not taken ANY math since Junior in HS? Did he use AP scores for UA math credits? I notice there is 1 seat left avail in Honors Calc III class this Spring, if that is of interest. My own son took Calc III Fall Semester (after using AP creds to skip I and II), and did extremely well - enjoyed the class and professor. I bet your son will pick up right where he left off.</p>

<p>NRDSON is an ME Major with CBH and Math Minors so even with a fair amount of AP’s coming in, it feels like doing cat-burglar contortions in the laser light room - one misstep and, Kaboom! He aced Diff. Eq. as well as Calc. III Jr. year but no math SR. year. Ideally, he would like to attend only the classes and do only the work he deems necessary to brush up after so long. He might even decide after a few classes it’s not necessary. So - would auditing a class give him that kind of flexibility? (We all know how important flexibility is in the laser light room!) And - does he have to find a class with an ‘empty’ seat? Or can he just drop in on the professor and exclaim deeply - “I am here!” ?</p>

<p>So many questions. momreads: Hurry up and finish your champagne! :)</p>

<p>Different colleges have differing policies but typically a student has to go to the college and/or department office for the course. </p>

<p>College of Arts and Sciences audit procedure:</p>

<p>“A student may audit one course per semester. Permission to audit may be obtained in the A&S Student Services Center, 200 Clark Hall, prior to the end of the first week of class each semester. An auditor may not take the tests or the final examination in the course. A course that is taken as an audit may not be taken at a later date for credit. An audited course is not included as hours for enrollment purposes, but tuition charges do apply.”</p>

<p>So if he is looking to or currently required to take the course in the future for a grade, auditing will not be possible.</p>

<p>NRDMOM: Not a drinker. Went to bed early.</p>

<p>My son said he requested an audit through Arts and Sciences. So start there to fill out the paperwork. However, he suggests against doing an audit. These are “empty” hours in a schedule. They are on your schedule as though you are taking them, and they stay on the transcript, which could look a bit strange. (Even though you do not receive a grade) In his opinion, if your son has a strong background in math and is pursuing a math minor, he should talk with one of those professors and ask to sit in on the class. He imagines that someone like Tan Yu Lee would be more than happy to oblige. That gives your son the flexibility that he will need. </p>

<p>Quite frankly, my son regrets taking the audit, because he would have been ahead on math courses. (He also has a math minor.)</p>

<p>Thanks momreads. (Your evening sounded like mine :slight_smile: )DS really just wants to make sure he’s brushed up on Calc III before his Junior level classes start. I actually think he would prefer that type of informal arrangement if he can swing it. If it makes any difference, he would not be subbing an audit for a class, he just had a slightly lighter schedule than anticipated and thought a non-graded audit would give him the refresher he might need without exam/attendance stress. Plus, he already has an excellent grade in the course so he couldn’t officially take it again even if he wanted to, right?</p>

<p>So - I will advise him to find the class that best fits his schedule, and drop an e-mail to that professor describing his situation and asking to sit in. </p>

<p>If for some reason he can’t swing that particular solution, and he takes an audit, according to KeithS tuition fees apply - does anybody know if that would be covered by the NMF scholarship?</p>

<p>momreads’s son is NMF, but either way I would expect a merit scholarship to cover the credits.</p>

<p>I would not do an audit at UA as it counts the same as a regular class tuition-wise. I don’t see any incentive for a professor not to accept an informal arrangement, provided that the course is not full. I’ve had professors who encouraged students to drop the course, but still attend class and to retake the class the next time the course is offered.</p>

<p>Thanks, SEA_tide. </p>

<p>One more question if you don’t mind. If the arrangement is ‘informal’, basically just his angular body taking up chair space while he puts on his listening ears, does it matter if the course is full?</p>

<p>I realize the question has been asked and answered, SEA - I am not above blaming my flu and skyrocketing fever. I had better sign off for tonight - who knows what will happen when I break out the Nyquil.</p>