Auto Admission Question

<p>Im in the top 25% and i know i need to get a 1300 on cr+m with at least a 600 in each, but what about writing? Do i have to get a 600 on that too? Do they even look at that (im doing engineering)?</p>

<p>No Writing score is not a factor. For engineering, keep in mind average SAT Math score is ~660</p>

<p>I don’t think SAT scores correlate with knowing how to study and work ethic…
The average SAT math score shouldn’t matter.</p>

<p>For admission to engineering the math score will matter. If 660 is the average for engineering then being above average will obviously increase your chances of being admitted. Coming in with a 600 puts an applicant at a disadvantage.</p>

<p>At this school, academic admits can pick ANY major provided it is available when they are accepted. Beyond that, higher scores are used for scholarship offers & honors offers. However, the engineering major is changing… and now will be competing for the specific majors after they have taken classes instead of at the time of admission. IF you are not an academic admit, then the scores will be a factor for admission for the few slots that are left.</p>

<p>There is a study that suggests a SAT Math score below 600 makes it difficult to succeed in engineering. However, once the score is above 650 or 670 work ethic and knowing how to study become more important.</p>

<p>The 660 average math sat is actually kind of surprising to me considering that the minimum is 550 and a 1350(CR+M) gets one into honors. Any idea what percent of freshman engineering students qualify for honors based on class rank and SAT score?</p>

<p>Probably a relatively high percentage of engineering students QUALIFY for honors. Not all of them actually participate in the honors program.</p>

<p>I would imagine a VERY low percentage of engineering students would have a math SAT much lower than 600.</p>

<p>I’m terrible at reading statistics. But I think this means that 80%-85% of entering Engineering Freshmen in 2012 scored over a 600 on the Math portion of the SAT.</p>

<p>It also looks like about 75% were in the top 10% of their high school class.</p>

<p><a href=“http://dars.tamu.edu/dars/files/3d/3d49a90a-1e7e-4d0a-84f5-0a6e012ded84.htm#p22[/url]”>http://dars.tamu.edu/dars/files/3d/3d49a90a-1e7e-4d0a-84f5-0a6e012ded84.htm#p22&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Good find. Thank you.
Based on SAT/ACT scores it looks like about 30% of the incoming class qualifies for honors (assuming the higher test scores are also the higher class rank kids). A bit higher percentage than I would have guessed.</p>

<p>A very large portion are auto admits. When you consider Texas’ auto admit policy, and the fact that UT and TAMU take so many Texas students, so many want to go to one of those two, it makes sense that many would be auto admits. Sort of translates. I know there were probably 20-25 students from our HS going to TAMU College Station, out of 450. There were others going to Kingsville, Prairie View and Galveston. I think all of the ones going to College Station from our school were top 10%.</p>

<p>Just curious, Cromette, do TX. top 10% have to even submit SAT/ACT scores or any minimums? It seems the caliber of student here is much higher that the stats reveal. Since you pay for each report, just wondering if some don’t bother to officially submit their highest scores or alternatively try their best score-wise( retaking the standardized tests are just so much fun, right?)</p>

<p>Hmmmm…not really sure. I never thought about NOT having her take the SAT. It’s just sort of considered a requirement. Whether it really IS or not, I don’t know.</p>

<p>Pretty sure they have to have it, and if it were absent on the application, the application would probably be considered incomplete.</p>

<p>What I’ve seen at D’s school relative to SAT/ACT is the following:</p>

<ol>
<li> Good students in the top 10% don’t usually study for it or stress about it.</li>
<li> They usually score well - 1300+</li>
<li> They usually don’t retake it trying to get a better score.</li>
</ol>

<p>Mind you, that’s for D’s HS. Not for all HSs in Texas.</p>

<p>Since most college bound students in Texas attend public universities, and since if you’re in the top 10%, you’re guaranteed a spot (8% for UT), then there’s not much point stressing about the SAT/ACT for most of them.</p>

<p>The exception being some students at really competitive high schools who can have a 3.9 and still not make it in the top 10%. For them, they’ll HAVE to hit that 1300 SAT, 30 ACT mark to feel comfortable at a flagship.</p>

<p>^That’s my son. A very competitive Texas high school. A 3.9UPGA and 5.1WGPA only manages to get him to the the top 12-15% or so. Its a non-ranking high school so we really don’t know. So he is not an auto admit to either. He did study for a couple of weeks and pulled a 33 ACT. So that gets him an academic admit to A&M. He just has to hope the rest of his application helps get admission to UT. If he gets admitted to UT then he will have a decision to make between the Texas Schools and some OOS schools where he is already admitted.</p>

<p>As for submission of scores. I do think they are required even for auto-admits. The fine print says you must have a complete application.</p>

<p>Are scores from tests taken as a sophomore acceptable? My son took a trial run on the SAT at the end of his sophomore year and scored well enough to be an academic admit. He will take them again to try and do better to improve his odds for scholarships but was wondering if his sophomore scores could be used.</p>

<p>No idea. I would think so…if it’s the actual SAT and not the PSAT. If collegeboard has the scores as an official record…I’d ask the question to the Admissions office.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>In engineering there are minimums:</p>

<p>[How</a> to Prepare | Undergraduate | Advising | Academics | College of Engineering](<a href=“http://engineering.tamu.edu/electrical/academics/advising/undergraduate/prepare]How”>http://engineering.tamu.edu/electrical/academics/advising/undergraduate/prepare)</p>

<p>Also, there are MPE minimums to get into Calculus.</p>

<p>“There is a study that suggests a SAT Math score below 600 makes it difficult to succeed in engineering.” - I don’t think a study is needed to determine that, it seems like common sense. I for one know I would not succeed at engineering no matter how much I applied myself. You have to know what you were called &/or born to do. Or as Dirty Harry would say “a man has got to know his limitations.”</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I think many kids with top SAT scores could be from very competitive schools where they did not make top 10%. For example, mine is a top & bottom 5%'er (Top 5% SAT scores / Bottom 5% Class Rank). His junior year class rank was top 27%. So, I believe, would not even have made auto admit if he were not a National Merit semifinalist</p>

<p>Perazzi, didn’t your kid have PHENOMENAL stats though? Even if he hasn’t been an auto admit, I think he was probably in.</p>