BA in music that is still performance heavy?

I am currently a high school sophomore in Louisiana, and I am very interested in majoring in both biology and music. After thinking about it, I decided that a dual degree with a BM paired with a BA or BS in bio would be too much. A BA-BA double major would still be difficult, but not quite as crazy. I know that at many schools, the BA is almost completely theory and history. What schools would still allow me to do a lot of performance?
For reference, I have a 4.0 UW 4.92 W GPA, I participate in mock trial and regularly volunteer at an animal shelter. My classes this year are Piano III, Honors Chemistry, AP World history, Gifted Pre-calculus, Honors Biology, Gifted English, and Honors French III. My junior classes will be Piano IV, AP Biology, APUSH, AP Calc AB, AP English, AP French, and Off-campus PE. I took the ACT in November and got a 33 (35 reading, 34 English, 32 science, 29 math). I just took it again last week and I don’t have my results back yet, but I am pretty sure I got at least a 31 in math if not higher, and I might have brought my science up to a 33-34. I have been playing the piano since kindergarten and the most difficult piece I can currently play is Chopin’s Revolutionary Etude. I have gotten 2nd place at a regional competition twice recently. I have composed a few things and I am about to enter a composition into a competition for the first time.
I would really like to be out of the Southeast area. Tenessee is about as far South as I’d like to be unless it’s West Coast.
Thank y’all so much!

First, have you read the Double Degree Dilemma essay in the Read Me thread here on the music major forum? It is really about different ways to study music, using hypothetical individuals. You already know some of the options but the essay might be helpful over time.

You are only a sophomore so things may become clearer!

I am unclear on whether you are envisioning a double major of biology and music. That can be pretty intense, as you can imagine, especially with any performance aspect, whether curricular or extracurricular.

You might want to look at Oberlin’s newish Musical Studies BA which allows for studying other areas but also gives access to Conservatory resources. In many instances, if you do a BA in music, you want to avoid schools with BM programs because the best teachers and performance opportunities go to the BM students, but Oberlin established the Musical Studies degree to address this, and if you look more deeply into various music BA programs, you will find many others.

That said, it is also very possible you can find a good fit in a school where you do a BA or BS in biology (or whatever interests you in two years) and continue lessons and performance as an extracurricular. Many schools will give credit for these and provide funding as well. Some examples would be Ivies and Little Ivies but many others. Tufts is one example with a very active music program, Vassar, Clark…many others.

If you do apply to schools for a BA/BS, whether in music, biology or both, you can submit a music supplement with recording/video, music resume, and letters of recommendation related to music, if your schools accept them. This can help with admissions regardless of major.

3 Likes

Thank you! I had looked into Oberlin, and I like it except that it is in the middle of nowhere. The BA program there sounds great though! I can’t do Ivies because they don’t offer any merit aid. What are some examples of schools that have decent music programs but not a BM?

My oldest went to Chapman University (Southern California) entering as a double major in biochemistry and music. She later changed to Music Performance. It was a great school for both majors and they are very accommodating of students who want to pursue music along with another major. Lots of opportunity to perform in orchestra, chamber ensembles, opera. I would say more than half of the students in the music program were dual majors. They seem pretty generous with scholarship money, mine received a half tuition academic award along with a music merit award. Good luck with your research!

3 Likes

Off the top: Oberlin, MacAlaster, Tufts, Clark, Vassar, Davidson, Williams… Other people can chime in.

There are also some great schools that offer both BA and BM. I was just looking at College of Wooster.

I wonder if your composing will take off-? A BA in music can work well for some composers.

There is a thread in this forum on merit aid. I take it that you are not planning on financial aid.

I hope others come on to suggest schools. But I also would counsel you to wait a year, and enjoy the rest of sophomore year. Lots of changes can happen in the next couple of years!

1 Like

Thanks!

Thank you @anotheroboemom!

what about vanderbilt’s bachelor of musical arts? Is this what OP is looking for?

As @compmom mentioned, there are universities where you can continue with performance (for credit) while majoring in biology. Indiana University has a fabulous music program, and I know someone who majored in biology while continuing in cello (did a minor, I believe). There may be other opportunities at IU to combine degrees, particularly as IU is very generous with AP/dual enrollment credits and letting them count towards distribution requirements.

2 Likes

Lawrence?

5 Likes

I just looked at IU’s webpage and the Jacobs School of Music offers a B.S. in Music and an Outside Field. So you could do composition and an outside field (i.e. biology) or Piano and biology, or if you just want to enjoy the music options as a nonmajor.

2 Likes

Yes, I would look at Lawrence. They are very flexible!

2 Likes

Bard

But the OP can also consider schools that do not have a conservatory or school of music (BM). Musicians can continue with lessons and performance as an extracurricular if not part of the music curriculum, or if they want to major in something other than music. They can also take music electives if pursuing a different major.

2 Likes

Have you looked into Belmont? They have a new BA program in MT Performance created specifically for this. B.A. in Music with an emphasis in Musical Theatre Studies | College of Music & Performing Arts | Belmont University

1 Like

Bard seems so cool, my son applied as a music major in the college as opposed to the conservatory. I’m still a little confused about what the BA looks like there other than HIGHLY flexible, I guess we’ll see on the slim chance that he is accepted and ends up going! But great recommendation for this student.

1 Like

Oberlin and Bard have a “low wall” between Conservatory and college, which would make it ideal for this student. Maybe Lawrence too. I know a student who majored in biology at Bard, and did composition there as well. She is now getting a PhD in music. I am a fan of maintaining that kind of flexibility of choice as long as possible unless a student truly wants the full immersion of a BM.

3 Likes

You are young…so I agree with @compmom to simply stay flexible right now.

One comment about a school like IU: it can be harder to get the flexibility at some of these big programs. It doesn’t mean you can’t find examples or find it on the school website (as @AustenNut points out). My D went to IU and actually did their music BS (OF) in music and theater. So I do have some insight into how it works (or doesn’t). @AustenNut when my D was there the BSOF was limited to fields with some arts/performance overlap (theater, languages and arts admin for example…a few years ago Biology would not be common enough to overlap…but it could have changed…idk now).

You need to be aware that almost all music admissions and website will say: YES, you can make your dreams come true at our school. Please APPLY!!

Then you hit the reality of the audition. At select schools, the teachers get to pick you. They will look at talent but also other aspects of your application. And, in many cases, they want pretty much ALL of you…if they are going to give you a spot in their coveted studio. Why give you a spot if you offer all 50% of yourself, when another talented student will give 100%?

My D’s teacher was “supportive” but only too a point. She was always working to have most of my D’s time…dedicated to the conservatory. Sure she could take a few theater classes. But when it came to ensembles etc, she was advised to be in the operas.

Now, this may feel worrisome. You are still young…and there are schools/teachers that understand this…and will want a student like you. Oberlin, Lawrence and others (mentioned by @compmom including some very selective schools) may be very excited to have you and will have specific programs to attract you. And those are the schools you should target NEXT year…if your direction doesn’t change.

Some of the big BM programs (IU, Michigan, Eastman), I think that you can consider them…but be sure to look closely at curriculum and ask how many students actually do what you want to do (I sat at the IU commencement and did not see a lot dual degrees). Maybe speak with a student doing two degrees at the school. Ask them the pros and cons. Does the school truly support you…or are you on your own. That is very important for students wanting dual degrees. You also need a teacher and advisor that will help clear roadblocks (my D’s advisor had to do special work to get her into classes so she could finish her degree on time).

So be sure to look at great academic and music schools that support students like you. They do exist. @compmom is a good resources for that.

3 Likes

St. Olaf! Great music, great biology, good merit.

4 Likes

I second St. Olaf as they are great in the sciences and have a good music program. My daughter is at Luther College in a BA program, as well. She was accepted to Lawrence, and that also seemed a great choice for a dual program.

If you prefer city life, there are some great colleges with dual programs at local conservatories (I’m thinking of Boston with, I believe, Harvard, Tufts, and Northeastern partnering with conservatories like Boston Conservatory and New England Conservatory).

Boston University also allows double majors, although I don’t know how easy it would be to double major in practice.

When we looked for my D, we used College Navigator (federal college search engine) to determine how many students graduated with a music major each year. We did not want her to be one of the few music majors on campus; college brochures don’t tell you how small or large the music programs really are, but grad rates tell you an approximate cohort size.

3 Likes

I thought this OP didn’t want a dual degree. Which is why I was suggesting he make sure that a non-BM student, whether BA music or BA/BS biology, can study with good teachers and have good performance opportunities at schools where those may go to the BM students.

Or, alternatively, that the OP consider a university or liberal arts college that has a great music department with extracurricular lessons (sometimes you find a teacher yourself but get credit/funding) and excellent extracurricular performance opportunities.

Someone brought up Tufts which has both a double degree with NEC, and an excellent music program in-house- but not a BM. And excellent science.

Again wait a year or even more to see what you really want- things change!!!

1 Like