Bama Bound - More Tips and Hints

<p>We attended Bama Bound session 6 on June 12/13. We parents had a great time and our student had a super time. We really appreciated the tips from earlier attendees. Here are some tips that we thought might be useful for others.</p>

<p>Our student spent the previous night in a dorm, and it was well worthwhile. He met more people, and already had new friends to hang out with before the start of Day One of the program.</p>

<p>It was not cold in the rooms so they must have paid attention to feedback. It was in the high 90’s outside yet comfortable in all the meeting rooms.</p>

<p>Registering early then going straight down to Starbucks is a good idea, because the Starbucks line quickly got very long behind us.</p>

<p>Rexpo (student visit to Rec Center at the end of Day One) requires a parent-signed form. Stay in touch with your student as they register so you can sign that for them.</p>

<p>You get a coupon for a 25% discount on a single item at the Supe Store in the parent registration packet, so save major purchases until you get that.</p>

<p>The presentation by the advisor at the College of Commerce was excellent. It was very entertaining at the same time as having tons of useful information for the students and it kept them engaged.</p>

<p>BB is very different, it sounds like, compared to when my son did it in June 2009. He was in CBHP, IHP and UHP but could not attend the honors sessions. He armed himself with his list of classes, put together a schedule, showed it to an adviser and was done. No one gave him a hard time about placements. He already have been offering scheduling advice to his kid brother – should he go to UA. </p>

<p>collegebound9194: You are correct. You do need to fight for your schedule. You know, in most cases, what you can handle. You know if you had an excellent BC Calculus teacher and a high score on the AP Exam if you can go to Calculus III (my son’s teacher already told him that is where he should be placed, and he still has a year of HS left). You want to be challenged but not overwhelmed. My older son has a list of great classes ready for his kid brother – again, is he goes to UA and wants the assistance.</p>

<p>BAMA really gets most everything VERY RIGHT. </p>

<p>DD sent an email to <a href=“mailto:Receivables@fa.ua.edu”>Receivables@fa.ua.edu</a> and got a personal response within MINUTES.</p>

<p>The system at UA is, except for the growing pains experienced at registration ( which have been resolved through multiple emails begging for help) exceptionally well-thought-out and remarkably efficient. Correspondence is very quick and REAL PEOPLE SIGN THEIR NAMES AND OFFER TO HELP.</p>

<p>AMAZING.</p>

<p>ROLL TIDE.</p>

<p>I have a quick question… My mom didn’t want to be at the parent session alone because she hated it at my older brothers orientation, so she is bringing along one of her friend’s. Is anyone else doing something similar?</p>

<p>It will be fun for her and no one else will notice except to say hi and perhaps start a conversation. No worries.</p>

<p>Thanks TXArchitect!</p>

<p>Leaving for BB tomorrow! Thanks for all the comments about previous sessions.<br>
I don’t know if there is another way to look at the scheduling than what we are doing. It seems like all the classes DD may need to take are currently closed. There may be a few open with instructors that are TBA. I’m assuming more sections may open up with the Honors BB starting on 7/8? I don’t know how to help her be strategic about her schedule before arrival.
I feel like I only have enough information to be dangerous. :)</p>

<p>Thanks a ton for this thread! Have been wondering about the parent part of BB … you’ve answered a lot of my questions.</p>

<p>Make sure you/your child have plenty of other options in case your classes are full. I went in to register for classes and didn’t get a single class I had wanted. I managed to get a decent schedule, but I had to do a lot of improvising.</p>