Bama for "Regular" kid

@DCNatFan
Doesn’t really answer your question, but do remember that far more students are not in Greek life than are in it.

@Roo17 @Southlander Wow! Neither my husband or I participated in Greek life so this is all new … and overwhelming. How do the girls find women from 17(?) different Sororities to give a rec?

I need to ensure my D is aware of this. I’m assuming UA is more competitive that the average college.

Unless something changes, she will apply when the application goes live this Summer so she has a year to figure it out.

@DCNatFan - my D is a 19 grad as well. May I ask what other schools interest your D?

@houndmom We are still putting together our list which seems to change from day to day. Right now: Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Ole Miss, Elon, JMU, Delaware, College of Charleston, LSU, South Carolina and a couple in-state options (Towson, Salisbury and UMD).

When I read those posts, I wonder where that thinking comes from. So many college students do well. Many students end up on the Dean’s list. The idea that the school is going to hand out money for good grades is just crazy.

@houndmom It took a lot of networking and persistence on both my part and my dd’s part. She reached out to her teachers, coaches, older friends, camp friends etc… we both posted on facebook numerous times. Eventually she had one for every sorority except for one. She had a great rush and loves the house she is in. We are from the northeast so although it was a challenge it can definitely be done.

Roo17 is right - start asking around now and keep a list as you suss them out. You’ll be surprised by how many you’ll find! Once you find a sorority alumna, ask if she knows women in other sororities - they often do. One thing we run into is that (especially in the NE) is that even though every sorority’s rules require them, recs are something that are often ignored and sorority alumnae don’t know how to do them. They can contact their sorority’s national HQ - really! The folks there are very nice and extremely helpful.
Since your daughter is a rising high school senior, you’ve got lots of time to do all that. Just keep plugging away.

@Roo17 @Southlander Spoke with D about recommendations, and she seemed confident she could get them from any number of people … whether she is correct or delusional, time will tell. She is very outgoing, so she will likely track them down.

Still, I’m glad you shared this info. Once she narrows down colleges (and is accepted!), I will remind her that she should take a thorough read of Panhellenic websites.

@DCNatFan Between 2 kids, we have toured Alabama, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and CofC. Both kids agreed Charleston was a great city, but campus was hard to distinguish from city. All seem like great places to get traditional college experience. Good luck

@houndmom Since it is unlikely we will be able to visit all of the schools before applying (except College of Charleston) can you tell me your opinion on how walkable each campus is for the students. D19 wants the big schools feel but also a somewhat self-contained walkable campus. We have looked at maps, etc but hard to get a good feel.

@DCNatFan In my opinion, they are all walkable.

Bama was largest, but still seemed walkable and football stadium and sports’ complex are on campus. We easily walked into town for lunch. The area with big box stores, etc. was nearby, but required a car. My D and H went for run on riverwalk near campus and said it was great.

Ole Miss was very walkable with stadium and “The Grove” central to campus. Oxford was maybe 20 minute walk (toured few years ago) through lovely residential neighborhood. My S and I walked into town several times while visiting. Big box stuff also required car or shuttle

A quick visit to USC was reason my son realized “big” schools were not overwhelming - ended up at Kentucky (also walkable). Toured for real with D in March and thought campus was very manageable. Easy walk to college-y bars and restaurants on one side, and State Capitol area on other with more restaurants, shops, etc. However, football stadium was a couple miles away so kids take shuttles to games.

I know you’ll see College of Charleston, but it’s definitely walkable. It was our 1st tour as family. S (and D who was in middle school at time) thought it was hard to distinguish campus from city. I liked college, but I think our charming, but totally hungover guide through my S a little!