Banking Questions for those with an OOS current student

<p>I was just wondering what OOS students used for their bank account? Did you open an account with the Alabama Credit Union? I checked and we don’t have a shared branch in our area, so I’m not sure I want D to go this route. Wachovia/ Wells Fargo also doesn’t have branches where we live. Or did your student just keep a bank at home and use their debit at school? If so, how is this working out? Where can a student go to get cash back on a purchase?</p>

<p>Great question…we don’t have any of those banks nearby either. I’m thinking a debit card from the local credit union where S has an account - but would love to hear what others are doing. (Can’t believe I need to start thinking about all this already - starting to freak out a little!!!)</p>

<p>During Bama Bound, my son and I opened an Alabama Credit Union account, as I wanted him to have access to a bank on campus – it’s located in the Ferg, and he goes there regularly for his mail, a meeting or lunch. We also have a Wells Fargo account for him.</p>

<p>We diligently listened to all the advice about opening an account at a bank with a presence in Tuscaloosa, but in the end decided to stick with what she had. She already had a debit card through Bank of America (which is available everywhere except T-Town :wink: I can easily transfer funds since my accounts are there as well. You’d be surprised to find out how infrequently the kids need cash, but since D goes to Publix 1-2x/week, she’ll just get cash back when she does her grocery shopping. She does the same at Target occasionally as well. </p>

<p>One thing we didn’t do right away, but took care of before she did her study abroad, was get her a credit card. It’s in her name but on our account.</p>

<p>We opened an account at home that also had a branch in Tuscaloosa. We also ordered her a credit card in her name but on our account. She hasn’t really needed her checking account since she has only written one check, but it is nice to have access to a local bank.</p>

<p>RobD or anyone else whose child is using a debit card - when they get cash back at a place like Publix, is there a charge? No one in my household has or uses a debit card (we use credit cards or cash), so I’m not entirely sure how they work. My current plan, if D ends up at Bama, is to have her open an Alabama credit union account. There are affiliated credit unions up here where we could deposit funds for her. D has a credit card, but a debit card seems like a good idea as well.</p>

<p>We are using the bank here, it is much easier to transfer $$. There are fees however. He usually has 1 a week if he goes to the ATM. I have told him to buy something & just get cash back but apparently he is very busy. Our bank waives their fees for the first 4 ATM charges per month for a student account, but there is still the other bank fees.</p>

<p>There are several ATMs on the side of the Ferg of different banks. Perhaps someone can list which ones they are.</p>

<p>*Did you open an account with the Alabama Credit Union? I checked and we don’t have a shared branch in our area, so I’m not sure I want D to go this route. *</p>

<p>Did you check the [url=&lt;a href=“http://www.creditunion.net/]CUServiceCenter.com[/url”&gt;http://www.creditunion.net/]CUServiceCenter.com[/url</a>] to see if another credit union is a CU Service Center? There are over 4500 in the US.</p>

<p>A list of the ATMs at the Ferg would be great.</p>

<p>Yes, I checked to see if a CU service center was near us, but there are none that close.</p>

<p>My DD has a debit card that she uses to get cash out (usually at the Ferg). We have the card through our local credit union at home and so far we haven’t been charged any fees (although there might be a limit - she doesn’t withdraw that often). She also has a credit card that we opened for her on our account. She tends to use the credit card when she goes grocery shopping or goes out to eat because she doesn’t have to worry about if there is enough in the account to cover her transaction (as she does with the debit card). I also wanted her to have a credit card when she was traveling in case she she needed it for unplanned transportation or hotel rooms. She uses her Dining Dollars on campus (such as at Starbucks and Subway) and her Bamacash to do laundry. Between all these options she has been well covered and we haven’t had any issues. I recognize giving your child a credit card might not be the best option for every parent but in our case it works out fine - DD is very responsible with how much she spends.</p>

<p>we ended up just having her keep and use her bank account at home. there has been approximately ONE time that she has needed a check for something.</p>

<p>we started to open an acct at the crdit union, but my DD’s driver’s license was expired so we couldn’t.</p>

<p>IMO, not necessary … at least for us. your situation may be different.</p>

<p>Using her debit card to get cash back at businesses (i.e. Publix or Target) does NOT levy a service charge; using her debit card at another bank’s ATM does.</p>

<p>I use my debit card all the time & when I need cash that’s how I do it as well, if a BOA atm isn’t convenient.</p>

<p>Thanks RobD!</p>

<p>We’re from IL, and my D uses her debit card exclusively. Our bank has a special program that allows us visibility into her account and we can see all her expenditures, and we know when to add cash, etc. It really has been NO problem whatsoever with her making any purchases either in T-town or B-ham. She really has NO use for cash, although she says she likes to have $20 in her purse just in case, she rarely uses it and rarely uses an ATM.</p>

<p>We are from TX and agree with everything Dad2ILD said. It has been no issue at all for her to use her debit card. It is attached to our bank account and we put money in when needed (thankfully not too often!!).</p>

<p>Hopefully, a student who walks past the east side of the Ferg can tell us what the ATMs are that are on that side.</p>

<p>Chase Bank has accounts for college students
College Checking
For students ages 17-24</p>

<p>All the benefits of Chase Total CheckingSM, plus:</p>

<p>Minimum Deposit to Open
$25
No Monthly Service Fee
If enrolled in college for up to five years;
OR, with monthly direct deposit
Otherwise a $6 monthly Service Fee</p>

<p>If your student plans on working, they can direct deposit their paychecks as well. They can get the direct deposit form from the bank prior to leaving for college and submit the form when they get a job.</p>

<p>You don’t have to link this account to a parents account, it is their own account.</p>

<p>If you also have a chase account, you can easily transfer money to your student’s account.</p>

<p>**Note in Alabama a student can not open an account on their own until they are age 19, so a parent must be on their account. Since Chase allows accounts for college students at age 17 this can be opened before they leave for college. They will have a debit card and checks which can be used at the SUPE store to purchase books etc.</p>

<p>The following Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) are located on the east side of the building outside the theater: Regions, Alabama Credit Union, BBVA Compass, BB&T 24</p>

<p>[Ferguson</a> Center](<a href=“http://ferguson.ua.edu/retail.cfm]Ferguson”>http://ferguson.ua.edu/retail.cfm)</p>

<p>Wells Fargo also has a store and ATM (their term for “branch”) on the Strip. Regions also has an ATM on the Strip (next to Gallette’s).</p>

<p>Publix has a ATM that allows you to make cash advances on your credit card.</p>

<p>linnylu,</p>

<p>D has an account at the Alabama Credit Union and I can deposit funds at the Firemens Credit Union, They have locations near airport/Grayton Road and downtown.</p>

<p>It has worked well for us. The funds are usually available same day.</p>

<p>We set up account at Bama Bound freshman year, both she and I are on account.
That makes depositing go smooth from up here.</p>

<p>We have a (Ohio) friend who used Regions bank and did everything over the internet. FYI</p>

<p>Publix allows cash back for free when you make a purchase with your debit card. It also has an ATM outside that is free for members of certain financial institutions [Publix</a> Presto! Network Members](<a href=“http://www.publix.com/services/presto/NetworkMembers.do;jsessionid=3F6F5ED2508D2CCF0728576D43458E95?LetterId=1]Publix”>http://www.publix.com/services/presto/NetworkMembers.do;jsessionid=3F6F5ED2508D2CCF0728576D43458E95?LetterId=1). Many OOS banks and credit unions are included.</p>

<p>While I have an Alabama credit union account, I use it maybe twice a year. My primary credit unions are part of the CO-OP Network, but I don’t have a need to transfer money to the Alabama CU account.</p>

<p>I’ve reached a point where 99% of my purchases are done via credit/debit card, usually the credit cards because of the rewards, which are then paid off before interest accrues. I’ve never ordered checks and keep cash only for emergencies. Even after the Tornado, Target was accepting credit cards as they can always be processed offline if needed. </p>

<p>UA’s Office of Student Receivables will cash checks for students at no charge.</p>

<p>A note about account fraud: if a student’s credit or debit card number is stolen, it is a relatively simple process to get a new card and dispute the fraudulent charges. I would highly suggest having multiple credit/debit cards with the students’ name (most places don’t check the names, but the Supestore and Student Receivables do) and $100 or so in emergency cash.</p>