Batten down the hatches

<p>Well, make sure and let people know that Tuscaloosa was not ‘wiped off the map’. Far from it. In most of the city, you’d never know anything happened.</p>

<p>*Well, make sure and let people know that Tuscaloosa was not ‘wiped off the map’. Far from it. In most of the city, you’d never know anything happened. *</p>

<p>Very true. People first acted like the entire city was “gone”…in reality only a small % was affected long-term (everyone was affected by power loss, etc). </p>

<p>That’s what is weird…you can be on a street where everything looks normal (like McFarland off the interstate, and then approach 15th St cross street and it looks like a war zone…and then continue north on McFarland, and it looks normal again.</p>

<p>*I saw one news report where the anchor is suggesting that parents are nervous about sending their children to Tuscaloosa, given the devastation. I thought that providing hard numbers of numbers of apartment units destroyed might clarify the situation. *</p>

<p>You hear this kind of talk after any disaster that occurs at/near a college. After the VT tragedy, people were saying this. After UAHuntsville shooting last year, people were saying this. In truth, there is no place that is 100% safe…not even in one’s own hometown. </p>

<p>The truth is that this Tornado storm was a “once in a century” or “once in a half century” event. The likelihood of anything like this happening again in the near future are slim.</p>

<p>As for apartments…the school guarantees housing for frosh, so no immediate worries (and most frosh already have their dorms). A year from now, the salvageable apts will be fixed, some new ones will be near-built, the ones “in progress” will be complete (there are many apt buildings that are “in progress” right now), and there are apts that had vacancies…like The Retreat and The Bluff. The Bluff is adding 22 more units, which will add about 80 more bedrooms.</p>

<p>Well this is my concern, that many of the people I have spoken with think that the town “was destroyed”. That kind of thinking could impact UA. This is not to minimize our loss. But it is kind of a catch 22. We need to get help to Tuscaloosa, but we also need to remind folks that UA is as strong as ever, well at least physically, and that substantial parts of the town were left untouched.</p>

<p>It’s just a natural short-term reaction to a disaster, ATL. I would not put too much stock into it. Are people never going to go to Phuket or Sendai again?</p>

<p>I’d go to those places if I knew where they were. Guess I better look at a map. </p>

<p>Oops I forgot that most U.S Americans don’t have maps. Maybe Miss Teen South Carolina will go with me :-)</p>

<p>My husband’s family in Alabama were so worried that we were going to change our minds and our daughter would stay home for college. That never even crossed our minds! </p>

<p>Unfortunately, natural disasters are a part of life. California has earthquakes, which I hated more than anything when I lived there. In Hawaii we have hurricanes and tsunamis. The important thing is the responsiveness of the university, and I believe their handling of the situation from the beginning has been amazing!</p>

<p>Yes, most of the city is absolutely fine. I think the problem might be that people might think that that T-town is a small college town therefore any devastation would mean that the functionality of the city was destroyed.</p>

<p>T-town is not a small city. It is 56 square miles. In comparison, Manhattan is 23 square miles. When 9/11 hit, it destroyed the end of Manhattan where the Twin Towers stood. Most of Manhattan didn’t sustain any damage. If you visited Ground Zero shortly after the disaster (we did), the Twin Towers area looked like a war-zone and then you’d walk a block away and everything else was perfectly fine.</p>

<p>I think it is a parents natural instinct to protect their child. I understand that some parents who are considering UA for their child’s college experience might be wary due to last weeks tornadic events…do not be!
When we visited for the first time it was right before a very large tropical depression was slated to come on shore…did we worry about our DD being in a hurricane while at UA…no. We have always told our children that everything happens for a reason and you just cannot second guess God’s plan.
Our oldest survived 911, she was filming her first movie at World Trade 1. She and her boyfriend always had coffee in the Starbucks at 8:30. Her director changed his mind at midnight and asked her to come to Queens fro a script rewrite…it most likely saved her and the boyfriends lives. We all watched that disaster unfold on tv (just as I watched the tornado take direct aim on Bryant Denney and Tut and the turn). As a parent that’s a scary thing. We want to protect our children, keep them safe and shelter them from harm both mentally and physically. Did I want my oldest D to leave NYC and come home to the “safety” of the Midwest…sure, but realistically I knew that as scary as this experience had been (she called crying as she stood at her office window and watched the towers collapse, had to walk across the Queensboro bridge into Manhattan to locate her boyfriend whom she found in an emergency room while carrying with her a borrowed inhaler in case she had an asthma attack from the compromised air) that somehow she would come out of this a stronger woman for it.
We spent all day yesterday in Tuscaloosa, volunteering, taking supplies (diapers, tarps, water, sports drinks…the list goes on and on) and just processing the damage. I will say that to experience seeing the devastation first hand was something that I will remember for a long time…the pictures y’all have seen do not do it justice! I was amazed/surprised at the swath of damage but also it put the damage in perspective. the media has portrayed that the destruction is much more wide spread than it is. Oh don’t get me wrong…it’s tragic…so horrific but the town of Tuscaloosa is so much larger than this path of devastation…I think for those parents who have not been to T-Town or who are looking at the pics and are not familiar with the big picture, it appears that the town is severely impaired…in all actuality the vast majority of the city stands, arms out streached helping those who are in need. DD commented on how lucky they were on campus and as we drove we picked out what used to be familiar stores, restaurants ect that are now piles of rubble.
We ate at Mugshots for lunch and it was that conversation that made an impact on me. My DD looked at me and said “why not me mom?”…my answer was “Because the work that God has intended fro you to do is not finished. He expects you to do great things with your life. This disaster only adds to the resume that will prepare yo to keep doing his work”. She was thoughtful and then said, “But what about all the people who died”, and the she stopped and smiled and said “their work here on earth was done and now they are working up in heaven…right?”
So for those parents who read this forum I want to reassure you that your children are safe at UA. Tornadoes happen. This type of tornado is a rare experience but has been a growth experience for my child, who was there. she is changed…I hate to say this because it makes it seem that she learned at the expense of others but she is a better person because of this. She has grown in the compassion and the caring of others. The University did the best job they could in this situation…they acted in a way that was protective of our students and their faculty and staff. So many of our kids have volunteered. Parents who are looking at UA should say “WOW” look at what kinds of kids this place is turning out…and it continues even after they graduate.<br>
I was lucky enough to talk with Javier Arenas as he was loading my items that he was taking down on Monday. What at great guy!..a product of that wonderful UA education.
So am now climbing off my soap box (before I fall) but felt that this needed to be said…sorry for the lengthy post. UA is a GREAT place to send you kids to school…wouldn’t have it any other way!</p>

<p>My D will be a Freshman in the fall and we have never wavered concerning D’s decision to attend UA. We were very pleased in how the University handled the situation. D would prefer to be out of school now and on campus assisting. Also watching how everyone on this board was/is willing to help the community and other students makes D’s decision to attend a no brainer!</p>

<p>ahpimommy: What a wonderful post!</p>

<p>I truly do not believe that the tornado will have a huge impact on whether or not parents allow their students to attend Alabama. My high school lost a former student in the VT shootings, and two weeks later, kids committed to attend that school. They are graduating in the coming weeks and have loved their time at VT. One plans on attending VT’s vet school. </p>

<p>This year, I have six students who made VT their college choice. Last four, we had four.</p>

<p>My youngest son is college shopping (he’s a HS freshman). When the tornadoes hit T-Town, I asked him if that would deter him from attending Alabama or any school in the deep south. He said no, because tornadoes or bad things can happen anywhere. You just cannot dwell on that.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>haha</p>

<p>Phuket is the resort city in Thailand that was hit very hard by the tsunami that killed 100,000 people a few years back. Sendai was the city that was hit by that tsunami in Japan a few weeks ago.</p>

<p>Hi There…I have been lurking here since I posted a question about how a Northern girl would fare down South. You were all so amazing with your help and information that I was hooked! As is my DD. We have spent hours going thru the school website, reading ‘*******’ and other review sites. She has taken the ACT for the second time trying to get that damn magic 30. She wants to be in the honors college and wants to play club soccer. She is still only a junior (for another 3 weeks) and as soon as we can apply we will.</p>

<p>I wanted to respond to the question or the statement that the media made about parents being fearful of sending their child to Alabama after the Tornado. (Yah, I meant to capitalize that T…anything that big deserves respect).</p>

<p>We live in Chicago…we have tornados, we have ice storms and wicked blizzards, we have big city issues like gangs and random crime. I am fearful when my kids decide to head into the city, but they are street wise (I grew up in the city) and they know how to handle themselves. </p>

<p>I sent my middle child off to college this past year…was I fearful…YOU BET! Did I kiss her and push her out of the house. Yup.</p>

<p>As parents, we are fearful always that something may happen, could happen and might happen. I don’t know about you, but I ALWAYS think of the worse thing that could happen…and let me tell you an F-5 Tornado is right up there with my worst fears. However, I cannot let my worry and my fears stop her from her dream of becoming an Athletic Trainer in one of the top programs. I cannot tell her that just because an F-5 happened once, it will or it won’t happen again.</p>

<p>I will kiss her on the forehead, tell her I love her and kick her cute little blond butt out the door…(after I give her lots of lectures about listening to the weather and getting to a safe place) lol </p>

<p>You are all an amazing group and I am keeping my fingers crossed that we see a 30 online soon.
j</p>

<p>buzymom - what score does your D have now?</p>

<p>Hi all; I haven’t posted since we got back from our trip to Tuscaloosa to complete move out. It was so surreal. The vast majority of the trip everything looked “OK” even when we were passing through areas that we knew had taken a hit (Huntsville, Cullman) although there were some incredibly twisted high hat lights on I-65 at the Fultondale exit. Truly a testament to the power of nature. </p>

<p>Seeing the devastation at 15th & McFarland was very emotional, yet blocks away all looked as it should. That’s the thing about tornadoes, unlike hurricanes or blizzards; they’re just so incredibly localized. </p>

<p>The people at the United Way of West Alabama were incredibly sweet as we dropped off some supplies. </p>

<p>One thing D mentioned to me that I thought I’d share: she and her next year roomies were talking about getting a “real” weather radio, like the one I have at home. DH & I immediately said we’d be more than happy to buy one. Even though UA is great about sending the texts and getting everyone to a safe place, in the middle of the night it’s easy to sleep through a text. Those weather radios can wake the dead, and can be set to only get severe thunderstorm & tornado warnings.</p>

<p>Hi Mike…she has a 29 from the test in early April. Just retook it at school and is waiting for the results. She is also signed up to take again in June. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>I’m a current HS senior and scored well on the ACT. What are her problem areas?</p>

<p>Hi PNGbamakid…she has a 31 in English, a 28 in math, a 30 in reading and a 28 in science. We did a review course, but I am looking for something online that she can do. Might help get her the little push she needs. She is a bright kid…4.2 gpa. But she has never been able to finish the science section without guessing the last few answers…that might be part of it. She is currently in AP Calc … cannot remember if it is AB or CD. </p>

<p>I am open to any ideas…or helpful hints.</p>

<p>I took the ACT twice, once towards the end of my junior year and once at the beginning of my senior year. I scored a 32 the first time around, but my science score was a 27 and I decided to try and bump it up. I took it on a Saturday in September and scored a 28 (I fell asleep in the math section; I’m in the band and we had a distant out of town game the night before). Every score dropped considerably except, ironically, science, which rose to a 28.</p>

<p>What I remember about the first time I took it was that the science section was almost entirely chemistry based, and chemistry wasn’t really my thing. The second time, it was physics based with a little chemistry, and I personally am a lot better at physics than I am at chemistry. Basically, the science section is luck of the draw. Towards the end of the section, when you get into those labs and data tables, just read carefully. I’ve had many friends just look at the amount of information and freeze up, when in reality it’s not as complicated as it looks right off the bat. If she gets tense in that area, just tell her to take a deep breath and look at the questions as objectively as possible. Also, if that’s her problem area in the science section (I know for a lot of people it is), it’s probably a good idea to get some examples from that section and sit down with a science teacher to work it all out. It’s normally not as complicated as it looks and a good science teacher would probably be able to break things down into simpler terms and teach her how to analyze it.</p>

<p>In case you couldn’t tell, science was my biggest problem, lol.</p>

<p>From what I can remember (when I wasn’t dozing, lol), the math section was pretty consistent. It seemed that most of it was based in Pre-Cal with some Geometry and a little basic Calculus mixed in. Review the equations and how to apply them the night before the test and that score will probably rise.</p>

<p>Reading and English are a little harder to gauge. The best I can offer there is to stay on top of your definitions and read carefully. It might be a good idea to see if her English teachers have any ACT materials they can offer; those typically have all of the words, analogies, and formats that might get thrown at her on the test.</p>

<p>The best advice I can offer honestly is to play to your strengths. If you’re good at math, pay close attention to the math section; a lot of kids will give a great deal of focus to the sections of the test they think are harder and will pay less attention to an area they feel confident about. Also, keep taking the test right up until the application deadline. The more you take it, the more accustomed to the test you become and, normally, your scores will reflect your experience.</p>

<p>Also, be careful not to overthink anything. A lot of times, the question isn’t really that complicated, but you’ll sit there and think, “it just can’t be that simple.” More often than not, it really is that simple. Occasionally, you will run across those questions that imply one thing when they really mean another, but reading carefully, focusing, and being careful to keep from feeling overwhelmed can help to clear a lot of that up.</p>

<p>Has she taken the SAT? My observation was that the SAT math section was based more in Algebra than anything else, so she might have better luck with that if she’s better at Algebra than Pre-Cal or Calculus. Also, the critical reading portion seemed generally easier to follow (fewer “literary traps” and “word puzzles”).</p>

<p>*Hi Mike…she has a 29 from the test in early April. Just retook it at school and is waiting for the results. She is also signed up to take again in June. Any suggestions? *</p>

<p>I would suggest also taking the SAT. For some, it is easier to get the needed M+CR on the SAT for 2/3 tuition ( 1330 is needed). For full tuition a 1400 is needed.</p>

<p>since your D’s lowest score is in Science, it’s likely that she’d do better on the SAT…which doesn’t have a science section.</p>