BB Advice for Those Still Attending

<p>Loved the orientation at University of Minnesota-Twin Cities for oldest S - it actually made me fall in love with the school. Looking forward to Bama Bound on June 20/21st and falling in love again.</p>

<p>Bring a sweater or jacket to the parent orientation. It was freezing</p>

<p>With so many businesses cranking up the AC, I’ve gotten into the habit of keeping a long and wide silk scarf folded into a baggie in my purse. It takes little room, but it sure does the job when a restaurant or whatever is freezing.</p>

<p>One last tidbit - if getting an override and there is any chance at all you might want to change from honors to non-honors (or vice versa), have an override processed for both the regular and honors course. My S had an override at BB for PH126 but couldn’t fit in an engineering course - so he decided to take a regular section instead. When he went to swap it out he was dropped from 126 but couldn’t pick up 106 due to no override.</p>

<p>Can someone tell me what the siblings might be doing? Have any of you brought siblings? My 14 year old son is very curious to know. Thanks.</p>

<p>Our two younger daughters went last year. They went on a walking tour and scavenger hunt around campus as a group. There was a swimming/water park activity planned for them also. Our girls did not particularly enjoy the sibling orientation and decided to stay with us after lunch. They said the group of siblings they were with was very immature and not well behaved. To be fair, our girls were already familiar with campus having visited many times and are very mature for their ages. As I suggested on another thread, send your child with cold water bottles. I’m sure it must have been an oversight somewhere, but the kids were not provided water during their activities last year. That isn’t typical of how Bama treats guests. I hope your son has a great time!:)</p>

<p>I meant to add that I think they had also been scheduled to tour the stadium and go to the Rec Center last year which would have been fun.</p>

<p>Will D need to get an override for a class that has prerequisites that she is assuming will be fmet by AP credit? If so, do you get the override at BB or email someone to have it before BB? Or does the computer let you register for a class even if you don’t meet the prerequisites?</p>

<p>My son registered for Calc III, even tho his AP credit/score has not yet been posted. There were no problems doing this whatsoever.</p>

<p>^^ On the other hand, the system would not let my D register for AC 210, for which EC 110 is a prerequisite. An acceptable score in AP Microeconomics would give her credit for EC 110. We got an error message to the effect that a necessary prerequisite had not been met. We didn’t pursue it because she decided to wait until spring semester to take the accounting course.</p>

<p>S had no issue with the Math pre-req but did with Physics - both dependent on his 2012 AP scores. </p>

<p>One other tip - there is NO breakfast for anyone on Day One but there are free granola bars in the credit union - as I was reminded by the post card received in today’s mail inviting us to stop by for our free breakfast on Day One.</p>