Behavioral differences

<p>what are some differences in behavior between people in the south, like in alabama, and other places?</p>

<p>for example, people on the west coast can walk slower in public and talk more emphatically without being called out than people on the east coast. i dont know if that’s actually true or not…but hopefully you get the gist of my question :)</p>

<p>I am in South Carolina, so it’s not Bama but I’d imagine the people are similar. People tend to be very friendly. My mom grew up in New Jersey and she says she’s still not used to all the waving and hello’s from strangers that you’ll get down here. It’s true that people here tend to be more religious, but as a non-religious person I’ve never really felt like an outcast or disliked for it. We take football seriously, like really really really seriously. College football is more closely followed than the pros, though. Um I don’t know, you’ll meet the occasional redneck stuck in the past but for the most part living in the South is great. I hope to stay around here for a while.</p>

<p>When you go to check out in retail & restaurant establishments, it generally takes longer than in the northeast because people make eye contact and make small talk. I’m used to it now and enjoy it (most of the time) but I remember the first time I went into a Starbucks in TN I got very impatient because the barrista was chatting up the folks in front of me. Lets go, lets go, lets go! I need my joe :slight_smile: </p>

<p>And my mom was convinced that everyone in Publix REALLY liked her because they quite emphatically told her “now y’all come back soon, OK?”</p>

<p>what are the young people like? do they have different tastes in music/clothing etc…?</p>

<p>how are relationships (both friendships and romantic ones) treated?</p>

<p>FWIW, my son told me the other day that he’s experienced “zero culture shock” living in Alabama and attending UA (“I’ve learned that people are people, Dad.”). Prior to college he spent his entire life living in Hawaii, one of the most politically liberal and culturally/ethnically/racially diverse places you’ll find.</p>

<p>Well more people like country music than in other parts of the US, but I wouldn’t even say that’s too big of a deal. The most popular radio stations are still going to be the top 40 type stuff you’d hear anywhere playing pop/rap. As far as clothing goes boys and girls tend to be a little on the preppy side. It would not at all be unusual for a straight boy to be wearing pastel colors. You’ll see a lot of rainbow flip flops and crokies (both of which I will be able to use into November/December). In the winter there are a lot of North Face jackets. On football gamedays a lot of people (certainly those involved in greek life) will dress up.</p>

<p>My S went to Ole Miss for a month this summer, we are from the NE. His roomate was from MS and they were so much alike it was funny. Same taste in music and when S walked in he saw a 12 pack of his favorite beverage, Dr. Pepper so that made him feel at home.
The one difference he noted was that the Southern kids he met weren’t so obsessed about where they were going to college and that it was likely to be closer to home.</p>

<p>Kids are kids. There aren’t big differences.</p>

<p>I spend my time between Calif and Alabama. I notice no differences.</p>