Best and worst PASSHE school?

Decisions decisions! I can’t wait for this to be over! Lol. My son said last night he doesn’t want to wrestle in college. So I think that puts Millersville over York since he wants to be an education major! I think I’m more stressed over this than he is!! We’ll hit the accepted students days and hopefully have a decision before Easter!

@NJWrestlingmom
did you guys look at TCNJ? Their education program is second to none in the state of NJ

^ my guess is that TCNJ for 35K vs. PASSHE for 24k makes the difference, or that the student did not get in (TCNJ is significantly harder to get into than even the most selective PASSHE school).

@MYOS1634 we are actually in state in NJ, but you are correct in difficulty! My son would never get in there! They wanted minimum 3.5 gpa and 1380 on SAT for the education department. TCNJ is the hardest state to get into at this point, except maybe Rutgers honors college. He didn’t like Rowan at all, and they are having some growing pains. We do still have to tour Stockton. But as I said earlier, with the awards we’ve gotten the PA schools are all about the same as the NJ schools in state ($25-30k range depending on housing choice).

Seeing your name, I figured you were from jersey. Glad to hear the finances will work out as if in state

@shelleyr25 …Thank you for the update on Bloomsburg! Anymore that you can provide? Life at Bloomsburg? How does he like the town(I really like the town…close to both Bucknell and PSU and easily accessible from campus/decent size)? How are his classes, did they help him adjust to college life, activities? I visited many, many of the PASSHE schools and I found Bloomsburg to really have it together, beautiful campus, cozy, decent sized town, solid academic programs, activites/clubs and a $19 - 20,000/yr price tag. The ROI from Money Magazine places it in the top 200 schools in the nation. Strong DII athletics. I think many of us would like to know your experience. Thank you!

@bester1 He is has been very happy there! He is a freshman and has had a very positive experience so far. Yes! The town is awesome! Walks right down for pizza/Chinese food etc. Did not bring a car and has not asked for it. He can walk everywhere. He likes his classes so far although he is in the process of switching majors. For a small school they offer a large variety of majors and a ton of activities and clubs. He was an average student in high school so did not get any substantial merit aid from any of the schools that he applied to. Even though he is OOS we are paying only a little above what a in-state NJ school would have cost (Rutgers would have been his choice but did not get in). Any other specific questions, just ask :slight_smile:

@shelleyr25 …Thank you. My D is comparing West Chester and Bloomsburg. She preferred Bloomsburg’s campus by far but enjoyed the Town of West Chester more. The cost to attend and live in West Chester is higher. I think if you are choosing a PASSHE school, Bloomsburg is tough to beat. Glad to hear that your son enjoys it. Any cons or concerns to mention?

@bester1 I am not familiar at all with West Chester. My son’s guidance counselor recommended Bloom, we visited and he loved it. The one thing- which I am sure is true of any smaller school in or near a small town is a need for the student to be involved in either clubs or activities or else they will be bored. There is no train service and only Susquehanna tours that offers busing (service is to limited areas- you can look up the routes on their website) so you are basically stuck there. The school offers soooooo many clubs and activities that take place during the week and on weekends but the student needs to seek them out and become involved. The school has an amazing theater program and performs at the local theater in town to audiences of students and the public. That is just one example, there are many more. My son is not a city kid at all so this environment was perfect for him.

@NJWrestlingmom seems you looked at many of the same schools that my son did. We both hated Rowan, Stockton was ok but too small, could not get into Rutgers or TCNJ. He wanted to go away so we were left with PA or SUNY as our options.

@shelleyr25 it does seem so! We haven’t seen Stockton yet, but it’s close to the in-laws and Grandma keeps saying she’ll come visit - think that’s enough to scare him off!!! Lol. I missed the Ramapo tour, my husband loved it, my son said it was nice and he didn’t want to go there! Hard to get him to articulate what he likes/doesn’t like. My biggest worry at Bloom was the lecture classes, but it’s a popular choice at our high school (his counselor actually wrestled D1 there). I thought it was more than Millersville but I might have to go back and check that. Seems certain schools are very popular in NJ! My son also is not a city kid, but he’s definitely ready for something bigger than is 750 kid high school!

Lock Haven considering cutting two sports instead of three…http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/03/lock_haven_university_now_cons.html

PA Colleges must adjust to a new reality…http://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/opinion/editorials/2017/03/06/editorial-pa-colleges-must-adjust-new-reality/98638640/

Glad to see that girls swimming still has a chance to survive the cuts. My daughter is looking at 5 year PA programs that have swimming so Lock Haven fits the bill.

@fleishmo6 …be sure to check out Gannon. Seems much more stable and competes in the PSAC.
http://www.gannon.edu/Academic-Offerings/Health-Professions-and-Sciences/Undergraduate/Physician-Assistant/

yes, thanks
also Kings, Marywood and Le Moyne in NY have swimming and 5 yr PA program

St Francis University has a very good 5 yr PA program as well.

If Bloomsburg has theatre, does it have music education? Might have to take a look at it.

@mommdc yes, Bloomsburg does. http://www.bloomu.edu/music

Mansfield also does and is pretty good at it. Small school, so lots of individual attention. New dorms. Quite isolated - closest town/city is Corning, NY. Nice town, great museum. Then it’s about 3(?) hours to NYC. Plenty of jobs around due to Marcellus Shale works.

@mommdc , I forgot about St. Francis
thanks