Best and worst PASSHE school?

Thanks @sevmom. Stark contrast between $300/credit Hour (Cal U) and $800/credit hour (Temple), at least OOS.

I was just looking at our community college (Montco) and I never realized how many gen-ed options are offered online. You could take your whole first year (or two) online, never have to deal with stepping on campus, commuting, driving those PA winter roads and still transfer pretty easily, at least with those schools that have agreements.

I know many HS kids start this process early while still in HS, but for those who don’t, this is seems like a decent option for year 1. Drawbacks, other than missing out on the “college experience”?

You need to be self motivated, driven, organized, with excellent time management skills. And many 17-19 year olds don’t have that, especially those in range for PASSHE academically (it seems to me they’re smart but not very driven nor organized, and/or have other priorities.)
It’s lonely and fairly isolated, socially speaking. If your friends went away to college you end up fairly alone or just hanging out with what’s left of your HS crowd (which isn’t growth-inducing).

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2017/03/16/PA-State-System-universities-Cheyney-Edinboro-Lock-Haven-West-Chester-struggling-to-retain-students-but-rates-vary/stories/201703160044f

http://www.pennlive.com/opinion/2017/03/these_are_the_two_things_pas_s.html#incart_river_index

No mention of the success of the PSU/Pitt Branch CC’s or their retention/success rates.

It would have been interesting to have seen if the PSU/Pitt Branch campuses had increased enrollments while the state schools have dropped.

With DD graduating in 2018, I know I would, at this point, concentrate on only 4 specific schools. They would be West Chester, Bloomsburg, Slippery Rock, and Millersville. From the links above, they seem to be ones that wouldn’t be closed if it comes to that down the road.

Hello, what is the Lock Haven campus and town like? Trying to look at all the 5 year PA programs in NJ and PA
thanks.

@fleishmo6 …I was just there. Stopped on our way home from the state championship swim meet at Bucknell. The town is small and like many rural PA towns, it has seen better days for sure. Campus is cute, not really updates, lots of 1960’s70’s style buildings. I have heard good things about the PA program tho. Lock haven has managed to keep from having to keep up with Jones. I do not believe they have crazy outstanding debt because they really do not have many new buildings or dorms. If you can handle a small town that feels like the stepping into the 1970’s, older kind of ugly buildings…there is some value there…no doubt.

@fleishmo6 which 5 year programs are you interested in? Thanks.

The PA program, Physicians Assistant

@bester1 Thanks, hope your swim meet went well, ours is next week

@fleishmo6 …thank you for the well wishes…I hope yours goes well too. Ours was condensed because of the large snow storm and it was timed finals and that really took away from the meet. Having said that…still a great experience!!! What state are you in?

We swim in MidAtlantic LSC, its southern NJ, Delaware and PA but near philly
our meet is up in york

USA Swimming? Our meet at Bucknell was the PIAA High School meet. Glad it is over!!!

Never too late…interesting way to position CALU to help with political clout…http://www.observer-reporter.com/20170319/never_too_late_cal_u_offers_tuition-free_college_for_60_and_older_students

With the enrollment stats being what they are, I expect all sorts of things to start happening from PASSHE schools, including ramped up positive public relations, marketing campaigns, etc. Saw one today on a “mascot” bracket. Maybe it is just me paying more attention!

Think about it…how can they close CALU…they give free education to those over 60 and…oh, by the way…those are the people that vote! Brilliant! This again shows how backwards this thinking is…force teenagers to go into crippling debt for years yet give it for free to seniors that are mostly baby boomers that have more discretionary funds than any generation(because they vote). Same as YMCA/Rec Centers…free memberships through health care/silver sneakers for the seniors but we are all concerned with childhood obesity and diabetes but kids have to pay…call me crazy!

You’re not crazy @bester1. I wrote a similar comment.on another thread. The ability to pay inflated tuition is about to get worse, in that MOST parents of college students in the past 2 decades were Boomers, many of whom had accumulated wealth to pay something for college for their kids. The next generation of parents, Gen X, is smaller, was hit really hard by the housing crisis and doesn’t have (generally) the same money to pay for their kids. I see it in many of my friends who have junior high kids who have no idea how they are going to help their kids with college.

I’m the first year of Gen X (or last year boomer, depending on how you slice and dice) - can definitely relate to that, @Portercat … not only the housing crisis, but the death of the work-for-one-company, get-a-pension model. I’ve been laid off, downsized, rightsized, moved laterally, screwed over on multiple pensions and been through more than one recession that wiped me out.

We look at the accumulation of wealth of our parents and the solidity of their lives and there is no comparison.

@Gatormama, Yep, I see all of these analyses on the demographics of the HS students (Millenials vs, Gen Z, whatever) but very few on the demographic changes of the PARENTS, who are expected to pay the bills.

Curious, does anyone know how the summer development programs work at PASSHE schools? It seems like it opens admissions substantially, as long as a prospective student takes the summer program going into freshman year?