Best and worst PASSHE school?

WVU’s President Gee says Higher Education can not cut its way to prosperity…

http://wvmetronews.com/2017/04/04/wvu-president-pushing-for-calls-to-lawmakers-to-stop-higher-education-cuts/

@bamamom2021 yes we have a good offer from York but D1 doesn’t see the fit and was talked out of it by some peers unfortunately. My younger D liked it and will make more sensible decisions on college cost in general, I think. She is not that picky, lol.

I checked into Susquehanna and Lycoming and don’t think it would be comparable to PASSHE cost, even with decent merit unless you throw some need aid on top. Maybe I’m wrong.

My D1 has MANY friends going to Pitt next year, and we live near Philly.

@bester1 Thanks for all of the aerial tours! Definitely more time effective than the long virtual tours (but those are good too). I personally don’t prefer the campus look of the buildings at West Chester vs. the others, but the town is certainly great.

@bamamom2021 Our DD will also be attending Bama in the fall on a scholarship. Hard to push her to attend anything local with UA offering what they did. Son is at Bloom because he did not have the grades for a scholarship or desire to be far from home (we are in NJ) and is very happy there. Roll Tide!

My daughter went on a recruiting trip to Shippensburg last spring. Had a great experience and loved it until she went to school and a girl at the lunch table called it “country ghetto” that was the end of that and sent us into a tailspin…lol. Ironically, the girl that made the statement went to Alabama and lasted until December. She loved parts of it maybe too much. She is enrolled at CCAC(our local CC) and last I heard wants to commute to Pitt. This entire process has gone mad… We have another friend who will be attending Alabama this Fall and she will be swimming for their swim team.

@Portercat , Sorry to hear about all the arguing in your house about choice of school. If a budget was set and schools that were acceptable to apply to were discussed before applications were submitted, maybe letting your daughter decide would keep peace in the family? Unless finances have changed significantly since she applied to colleges? Good luck!

We may be taking a road trip on Friday and may end up going through Slippery Rock.

A budget is set on our end, but it is dependent on debt on her end. She understands all of this, pretty much. If top line tuition were frozen, it would also help to budget, but it is an unpredictable variable. She also received a modest presidential scholarship that didn’t show up on the NPC and we wouldn’t have seen unless she applied to that one school.

Things that make you go hmmmmm…state system per credit experiment (so why doesn’t PSU/Pitt and Temple do this?)…all about raising revenues with no regard

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2017/04/06/State-System-per-credit-experiment-up-for-extension-millersville-vote/stories/201704050153

@bester1 Another investigation! Agreed, it is about raising revenues. My advice, take a CC course online during the breaks and transfer in, if they let you.

Sandusky scandal at Penn State now costs over $220 Million…

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/04/who_got_paid_in_the_jerry_sand.html

We drove through a couple Pennsylvania schools yesterday - one private (Grove City, where MIL went) and one PASSHE, Slippery Rock. It was a cold, dreary day so didn’t get out of the car. Both seemed like nice, well maintained campuses. Grove City seemed bigger than I remembered it. Slippery Rock seems compact and manageable, not super big. There was a SRU bus that was transporting people. There looked like there are some fairly new student apartments outside of town. The main street is cute. There is a local brewery and cannery (North Country) in town.

Grove City has a good music program I think. But they don’t participate in the federal aid program, just state.

So not sure how the finances would work out.

Also, GroveCity is a conservative Christian / evangelical college. So, if you want to grow in your faith it is perfect, but if you don’t, it’s difficult to withstand. It takes more than cost, you have to look at fit. It’s terrific for some, and terrible for others.

Yes, I think there are requirements to attend service a certain number of times per year at Grove City. They have done a good job in keeping their tuition sort of low (for a private). Not sure if this will continue, as I know their admission rates have gone way up recently.

Just back from Bloomsburg University accepted student day. Left at 4:30am…4 hour drive. Beautiful day. The program had a really slow start. Almost 2,000 in attendance and seemed like they were not ready for it. They pointed out a family that came in from Alaska and another from california. After the start, went into the college of science breakouts and they were both very Informative. They had sibling day going in the quad. It seemed like great fun. Tours, met with the swim coach…Had an increase in scholarship money…Daughter still confused. Down to three schools for sure??? Lol. Cleveland state, Bloomsburg and WVU. Cleveland is least expensive, Bloom is next and WVU right behind Bloom. All and all a fantastic day.

Grove City is not for most. Sorry to bring it up! Fit has been important for decades. My MIL and her sister started there in the late 30:s, daughters of a Pittsburgh doctor , Scottish Presbyterians. I don’t think it is Presbyterian but has some early ties? Both went onto Pitt for graduate degrees. Mil was not evangelical , liiked a good beer or cocktail. We did not consider religiously affiliated schools for our kids but some might .
I am pretty liberal, not trying to endorse Grove City. Families can figure out fit for themselves.

I think for some Grove City may be a good affordable option. I do like the fact that they kind of took a stand against federal funding, and keep tuition low as a result. In many ways this is why we are where we are in this country. I often wonder where tuition would be if we didn’t have the Higher Education Act of 1965, which authorized federal loans.

@bester1 does Bloomsburg have sports scholarships? If not how did they increase it?

@portercat…Yes, Bloom is a D2 university(PSAC conference). They provide athletic scholarships. Because of the outcome of my daughter’s season, they increased the amount. Keep in mind that these are partial scholarships. They have a limited amount that must be spread out over the entire team.

DI and DII are permitted to provide athletic money

Went to Lock Havens open house yesterday with my daughter. was very impressed with their Physicians Assistant program. The Pre Physician Assistant program appeared to have by far the most interest of any concentration. Extremely competitive but very well structured