Best and worst PASSHE school?

Do any of the schools offer study abroad in China? Maybe they could take a class while there?

@Gatormama I wonder if more of the parks management curriculum is available at schools like ESU, Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, closer to actual large state parks?

Well, I think i’ve mentioned that my D has said if the only school she can get into is ESU, “shoot me now.” :slight_smile:
That said, ESU does offer it.
I just checked - according to the College Board search function (the best I’ve found overall, btw), there are 137 schools with Parks, Recreation and Leisure Facilities Management majors. Of the schools we’ve examined even cursorily, these are the ones that offer it:
Slippery Rock, ESU, WVU, U of Dayton, looks like all PSU campii, Lock Haven, Kent State, Cheyney and CaliU of PA.

Some nice new dorms at PASSHE schools…

Bloomsburg
http://www.dailyitem.com/news/local_news/facility-fills-housing-need-at-bloomsburg-university/article_45851df7-1c0a-5300-baae-d13bc3675f67.html

East Stroudsburg
http://www.poconorecord.com/news/20170818/esu-unveils-new-sycamore-suites

and Cheyney gets a $30 million lifeline…
http://www.philly.com/philly/education/cheyney-university-loan-state-forgives-30-million-20170822.html

Unfortunately, the new dorms come with a significantly higher cost than the older dorms, just adding insult to injury for low income students trying to keep COA down. Fortunately, West Chester still has the option of older dorms, which are at least $4000/year cheaper than the newer suite-style dorms. Some (maybe most) of the PASSHE schools have replaced all of the older dorms with new ones, so there is no low-cost option.

I wonder if there are any long term plans for the old dorms to be removed at WCU (thus removing the option)? I am thinking for my younger kids. I seem to remember that the newer Bloomsburg dorms were not as expensive as the affiliated dorms at WCU.

Looking at this from Bloom, the largest price difference between the new (suite) and old (without AC) is about 2400 per year. Not miniscule, but less of a difference than WCU.

http://reslife.bloomu.edu/costs.php

Yes, and there might be a one or two year requirement to live on campus. SRU still has a traditional dorm option and I think only one year living on campus requirement.

At IUP honors college has their own residence hall, which used to be cheaper than the other housing, and should definitely be cheaper than suite-style. And they can get extra scholarships.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the “party” atmosphere about some of the PASSHE options discussed recently? I know we heard that IUP had some crazy parties. I have heard (in our town) that Bloomsburg can also get rowdy. Of course much of this is rumor. Didn’t know about WCU?

Not that I don’t trust my kids, but I know one of them may be more succeptible to bad behavior than the others, especially if presented with more opportunities.

I think the newest dorm built at Bloom is only for upperclassmen. I actually plan on DD living in older style to save some money. A few thousand does matter to us, whether DD likes it or not.

@Portercat I know my friends nephew got into some trouble at Bloom, but he was also in a fraternity. I think Greek life itself is often more known for partying, so take that for what it’s worth. DD is nerdy and annoyed by most of her high school classmates, so I don’t expect her to get into that behavior, no matter where she ends up, at least I hope not.

@mommdc, from what we have researched, and a big draw for DD, is the ability at Bloom to do a full semester abroad, and attend an actual Chinese university. She really does have to start pursuing these aspects more thoroughly though.

@Gatormama, DD has received some merit aid from CALU on the raise me site. It’s only a couple of thousand, but guaranteed. I haven’t really looked into the school too much, though the brochure looked really nice. I’m hadn’t really looked at it as a possibility as we were only looking at the ones that still seem the most stable/gaining enrollment.

Do you all think it might be a viable option, or should we maybe steer clear of it?

I have a good friend who just dropped his kid off at IUP. Which I thought was also in trouble. I honestly don’t know. Allegheny, which is a CTCL school and hardly affordable, but which apparently offers lots of merit, has debt service or revenue problems - I forget which. So does Drew U. Just got its rating downgraded by Moody’s.
It’s all a bit of a crapshoot, I suppose, but I would like to try to steer clear of the more obviously struggling schools.

I think Clarion and CalU both give some merit. I thought CALU was rated pretty highly. It’s supposed to have a good business program.

Bloom with merit and the traditional housing, or IUP with honors scholarship and honors housing should be a few thousand cheaper than the regular PASSHE COA.

I would apply to a few and see what you get.

As far as partying, I think WCU has a party rep too, as well as probably most colleges with greek life.

If my son gets into the music ed program at IUP, he will be doing music all day long.

Music and education classes, voice and piano lessons, ensemble rehearsals, performances, etc will keep him busy.

At our info session they said the kids should stay away from Homecoming and St Paddys festivities.

If the school offers other things to do, then it should be easier to stay clear of the party scene.

IUP president sets positive tone as new semester gets underway…
https://www.indianagazette.com/news/local/iup-president-sets-positive-tone-as-new-semester-gets-underway/article_b3cdae62-900b-5d99-8642-1139f34075bd.html

I read articles like the above, and actually feel badly for these schools, they have such a huge hurdle to overcome w/ all the PSU & Pitt branches out there.

I looked at their website last night, and looks like they have tuition based on 15 credits, so isn’t this a change? thought they were one of those charging by the credit.

@laralei I am curious, what was it specifically about the PSU branch that your daughter did not like? Lack of engagement or sense of community? Thanks.

FWIW, just signed D up for two more preview days. I’m not sure we’ll actually get to the WCU one we already signed up for, as husband has to go down to Texas because of the disaster down there and I have to work the weekend of the event. But WCU is close enough – about 2.5 hours – that we can hop down there any day.

WVU has “discover” days in October and November; signup is here:
https://admissions.wvu.edu/visit/discover

And Ohio U has the same kind of program, on different weekend days, here:
https://www.ohio.edu/admissions/visit/special-programs/discovery-day.cfm

We couldn’t see the point of going to those two schools on completely separate weekends - each is 6-7 hours away - but only 2.5 hours from each other.

Serendipitously, there’s a Discover the Arts day at OU on the Columbus Day Monday, the same weekend that WVU has a discover day on the Saturday, so we’re combining the two. Even though D is likely not going to major in theater, she still loves it, and it’s an entryway into a full-day visit that we wouldn’t otherwise be able to make.
I’ll cross-post this in the parents of 2019 thread…

We went to the WCU preview day last year. It was exciting but a bit overhwhelming. Very crowded, tons of prospective students and we received mixed messages from the faculty break out sessions. One was much more positive than the other. We went back at another time for a “regular” tour, and enjoyed the day much more.

Thanks for that. I’m not sure WVU will ever be affordable to us, but it’s another in my long line of attempts to get D to freaking focus.

There is a WVU app that is pretty nifty. They recommend you DL it once you’re registered. Has schedules, maps etc.

@Gatormama, I was referring to WCU not WVU. I corrected it, apologies :slight_smile:

Oh right, I remember your posts! No worries - it’s all good.