Best and worst PASSHE school?

An FYI, it looks like York College of PA is no longer offering the guaranteed merit awards! I have searched their website and though it has info on “merit awards”, they aren’t listed like they were, only competitive awards.

They do have the raise.me site listed and DD did get the maximum there, but only $6500.

Wonder when this changed, as I think we discussed them on here not too long ago?

@laralei I noticed this too a few days ago. I guess they had too many takers for the automatic scholarships and had to cut back (like Temple).

@laralei, that is interesting about York. Last spring it was spelled out very distinctly. Maybe they just changed the name to “competitive sholarships”? https://www.ycp.edu/admissions/cost-and-financial-aid/scholarships-and-grants/

@Portercat, I believe the best award was the Presidential, and that isn’t even listed under competitive awards. I do see they have a full tuition.award for 8 students; DD would just need to start loving the US Constitution! :wink:

Wow, I just looked at the York scholarships in more detail. If you scroll down and read each scholarship, there are far fewer (!) and for very specific criteria: Alumni, Transfer students, Music, and Community Scholars.

No surprises, some challenges for new Bloomsburg University president Hanna…
http://www.dailyitem.com/news/local_news/no-surprises-some-challenges-for-new-bloomsburg-university-president-hanna/article_bad01325-f9be-5f92-bd12-d2d5064a0225.html

Our view: Edinboro faces change with resolve…
http://www.goerie.com/opinion/20170917/our-view-edinboro-faces-change-with-resolve

Anyone going to West Chester U’s preview day this weekend? D and my husband are going; will try to wheedle a decent visit report out of them, but I don’t have high hopes…(for the quality of the report, not the school!)

Cal U. enrollment numbers in for 2017-18…
http://www.observer-reporter.com/20170919/cal_u_enrollment_numbers_in_for_2017-18

@Gatormama I have written on West Chester U preview days here before. They are good but very busy (tons of kids). I would try and get into town for a walk if possible, and think about what department you would like to visit for the breakout session.

I would love to know WHY there are all these enrollment increases in PASSHE schools. I’m not complaining, this is good news but would love to see a poll as to why, especially as HS graduates are declining in PA.

^Cost. Most families in PA can’t afford their “state-related” schools or privates. Also, many don’t know to look at schools which offer merit aid (e.g., Ohio publics, some privates). So they assume that the PASSHE schools are the most affordable other than community college (and depending on a student’s stats and family income, they may very well be correct).

I agree with you kidzncatz, but not all that much has changed in any of these situations (PASSHE, Privates, etc.) between 2016 (PASSHE enrollment declining) and 2017 (PASSHE enrollment increasing). Yes, cost is up but is also up at most places.

Was there a breaking point between 2016 and 2017, and if so wouldn’t you notice that nationally?

Well, aren’t we seeing problems starting to manifest themselves at the mid-tier private LACs nationally also? I think families are at a breaking point: They’re not seeing income going up but they’re seeing tuition skyrocket and not necessarily feeling like it’s worth the money. Maybe it’s just taken a few years for that to result in actual lower enrollment. Not sure why that would be but it might not be an instant reaction.

I don’t know of any specific reasons for the change from 2016 to 2017. I think many of the small private schools (other than the most elite) are seeing enrollment drops due to more and more families just saying no to the astronomical (and still rising) costs. There were 44 PA schools (mostly private) on the NACAC list of schools that still had openings this past May. It doesn’t bode well for our many small privates.

@Gatormama Great minds think alike! (I was composing my post at the time you posted.)

I was at my other kids HS Soccer game the other night. Sitting behind me where a group of parents that have seniors, talking about college. 1st Choice was always PSU, Pitt or Temple. No matter how explained how expensive they are and I am not sure that the return in an undergraduate degree is enough to warrant serious debt. They would not even consider any local PASSHE schools and had never heard for Bloom or West Chester. They were willing to take out major loans for Dayton, Duquesne and Delaware. When I mentioned Cleveland State I felt like it was viewed as a homeless shelter…lol…no kidding. Times are crazy for sure in the perceptions of Higher Education.

There’s a financial aid night coming up at school and I’m afraid to go. Last time I heard parents talking about paying for college, they were very hung ho about paying with loans. I felt like screaming, no!!!

If West Chester enrollment went up, it might have something to do with Temple raising their freshman academic profile in recent years. Now some kids who previously got in at Temple no longer do.

http://www.temple.edu/ira/data-analysis-and-reporting/institutional-reporting.html
The common data set from 2016/17 states that of a total 33,139 applicants, 52% were accepted. In 2015/16 there were 28,886 applications and 56% were accepted. And in 2014/15 total 26,496 applications and 62% were accepted.

With CalU I really don’t know. Maybe the kids that would have went to Edinboro decided to go there.

Looking at their CDS http://www.calu.edu/academics/institutional-research/external-data/index.htm, it looks like the number of applications actually went down in recent years, but they have accepted more students.

2014/15: 3,714 total applications, 74% acceptance rate
2015/16: 3,691 total applications, 82% acceptance rate
2016/17: 3,202 total applications, 93% acceptance rate

@MACmiracle One word about Financial Aid or “Paying for College” seminars offered by the school. Sometimes (not always) they are run by financial advisors who are looking for you to invest with them. They could be legit and have some good ideas, but they are often looking for business.