Best and worst PASSHE school?

@mommdc Thanks for taking the time to dig into this. Accepting more students is not necessarily good news. It may either lead to lower graduation rates, or lower academic standards to prop up students who are not ready or suited for college coursework.

@Portercat …good point. Also remember the role of the PASSHE and other state systems is to provide educational opportunities to the masses…basically to give just about everyone a chance to obtain a higher education if the desire(that is why it is supplemented with tax dollars)…not to compete with Harvards/Yales…well, you know what I mean.

@Portercat, yes I believe Edinboro has faced that problem in the past, and that they are now trying to change this.

We also have so many schools in PA, if cost constraints don’t require students to attend the closest commutable school, and you are not accepted at Pitt, Temple or PSU UP, then there are numerous LACs to choose from (in PA and Ohio for example). And some students prefer to be at a smaller school.

With merit and need based aid those privates are comparable in price to Pitt, PSU branches and PASSHE.

LHU’s outlook is a positive one…
http://www.lockhaven.com/news/local-news/2017/09/lhus-outlook-is-a-positive-one/

Cheyney honor students expand cultural horizon in Belize…
http://www.phillytrib.com/metros/cheyney-honor-students-expand-cultural-horizon-in-belize/article_7adfc42e-86c4-5d1c-b62f-c5124dea1f97.html

CCP Partners With Kutztown University To Offer Core-To-Core Transfer…
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/09/21/kutztown-university-and-ccp/

PA Average debt at graduation is staggering…
https://ticas.org/posd/map-state-data#overlay=posd/state_data/2017/pa

Wow, @bester1 - that’s a ready sobering chart. Thanks.

Awful.

Second-worst in the country, behind li’l ol’ New Hampshire.

@bester1 Interesting debt report. Cal U (from the ones listed) seemed to have the lowest debt for PASSHE schools, but on first glance there were some missing, like West Chester.

West Chester is in there…scroll to the bottom of the publics…

West Chester University of Pennsylvania
Average debt of graduates 2016
$33,814

I wonder why Cal U and East Stroudsburg debts are significantly lower?

I can see some schools might be better for commuting, which would lower costs. My friends son went to ESU and dormed but started coming home on weekends as he felt campus was dead on weekends.

And several seem to offer some grants/scholarships which might help to lower overall costs. Above kid did get about $3K. Bloom I understand is really terrible in this regard, but we’re still giving it a shot.

It is a shame though as those numbers are pretty darn high.

How, though, is it $35k when you can’t borrow that much as a student? Are they somehow taking out private loans?

The parents might have taken out Parent Plus loans, or they qualified for Perkins loans, in addition to direct student loans.

Undergraduate loan limit is $31,000.

If parents are denied Parent Plus loan, student can borrow an additional amount of $4,000-$5,000 per year I believe.

Also, the site show percentages for private loan debt and nonfederal debt; that would allow for higher debt numbers than accrued through federal sub and unsub loans.

If the federal loans are taken unsubsidized, interest accrues while they are in school, which may bump up the overall debt number above the initial loan amount.

crossposting from the parents’ thread:
My D and H are at a preview day for West Chester University (state school near Philly) and it’s mobbed. It’s a gorgeous day, though, and she texted me, “I like it here and we haven’t even done anything yet. Even the strip malls are nice. It’s not isolated and we talked to one of the volunteers who’s majoring in political science and she said the whole atmosphere is really great and they’re all cheery here and also they gave us food.”
So for D, the important stuff is sorted.

I will post something more thorough, hopefully, after she emails me a full report. They’re on their way home now but D is over the moon. She texted me later, “Is it bad that I’m basically in love with West Chester but it’s my safety?”

Tell her, it’s great to love your safety!