Best and worst PASSHE school?

@Gatormama when we were there, DD really, really liked it as well and came away thinking she could see herself there. I think it is one of the most expensive schools of the 14 though.

I really dislike the traffic and the drive, but she’s going to apply anyway. Will be glad to read your extended report!

Our HS brings in one woman to do the college transcripts, so I am trying to put together a list this weekend w/ our final selections. So many kids in my son’s graduating class in 2015 never even had their paperwork sent to their schools, so I want her to be one of the earlier ones to submit with all schools, so it will actually get done.

@laralei and @Gatormama West Chester is not generally more expensive than other PASSHE schools if you do not choose to live in the affiliated (new) dorms, or off campus in junior/senior years. That is where the extra costs are.

I didn’t go to the tour of WCU yesterday - in querying my D today about the visit, how do I determine which dorm they saw? What are characteristics of the affiliated dorms, other than “new”?

@Gatormama They have bathrooms in the room (sometimes shared in a suite), central air, drywall walls (not cinder block), kitchens in the floor meeting rooms, and movie rooms on some floors. They are run by a rental company, hence the term “affiliated” and run about $2K additional per semester over the traditional dorms…or $4K per year. They are very nice actually.

Some PASSHE schools are transitioning all of their dorms to this new suite type, so you may not have a choice at some going forward. WCU still has both. At Bloom, the price difference between the old and new is not as drastic as WCU.

crossposting from 2019 thread, and yes, @Portercat , your info jibes with what my D told me:

OK, more info from the daughter on her visit to West Chester U.

Two campuses - north and south, and even an “east” which I think is more commuter. South is most of the sports stuff. Shuttle buses. D liked the look of the place a lot. Adjoining town very quaint, lots of places to get a basic retail job, she said.

An older student union at the south campus and a newly renovated one at the north campus, which shows first-run movies about six months after they come out.

Food: Chick Fil A and Starbucks. Buffet style cafe. Other options. We didn’t dwell much on this as D will eat anything.

She talked to the lax coach despite being so terrified she was close to tears. (Powerful goddess-women do that to her). Coach told her to get film and invited her to come to a tourney/camp - pretty standard stuff. It’s a pretty successful program; not sure there’s a place for D there.

There’s a whole department called exploratory studies, which appealed to her, as it’s designed to get her eventually into a major but in the meantime lets her dabble. No Chinese but head of languages was very nice to her and they talked about a study-abroad thing to China that could be great.

They talked to the theater people, and got a weird vibe. My H described them as not…theater-y… Very nice, but more mainstream and I guess not all flailing arms and drama queens and extroverted? That’s the only thing I can glean from it. Anyway, they’re doing Romeo and Juliet and D wants to go back down for that later in the fall. Didn’t see the facilities, as all the theater people were at the area where all the departments and clubs etc were clustered, so she didn’t think she’d be able to see anything (obv., if I had been there, trespassing would’ve been de rigeur…I’m much less bothered by rules…)

She saw both kinds of dorms: older traditional and newer, “affiliated,” which I understand are about $4k more a year. The older dorms have a/c units in the rooms and communal bathrooms for each floor. The affiliated ones are more like what my H described as a Marriott hotel room: you enter into a foyer with closets on either side, then it’s a big suite-style room, with I think a shared bathroom between two suites. Some “pods” for upperclassmen can have as many as four or five single bedrooms clustered around a LR/kitchen, my H said he was told. Both types of buildings have stairs and elevators; the affiliate dorms have ritzy bottom-level gyms and lounges while the traditional dorms have less ritzy stuff.

@Gatormama the first dorm they showed us was a traditional dorm, Killinger Hall. Nothing fancy of course, however, it wasn’t bad. DD didn’t like the communal bathroom set up, but did have air and that is where she will end up if she goes.

I will say I was less than impressed w/ the semi private suite in Commonwealth Hall (we both think this is the one we were shone as new dorms). Two beds in the same room, bunked, to make it seem a little more spacious, but I felt the actual sleeping area wasn’t any bigger than the traditional room. Benefit though of having their own bathroom for the two to share and decent closets in the “foyer” area.

Of course, when I think of suite style I go to DS’s at Bama. Though 4 in the suite, he had his own bedroom, large closet, shared living room, kitchenette, and had to share a bath w/ one of his roommates. So I wasn’t as impressed w/ the ones at WCU, though DD was. :slight_smile: WCU’s is more expensive for less.

I did look at costs if DD went with traditional, and might be able to pull it off, if she does traditional dorms all 4 years. I am very annoyed w/ her as I have told her repeatedly she needs to contribute by working a part time job. All summer and she never followed through on it. Now with school back and a heavy course load, she doesn’t think she will have time to work. She tells me she is looking at scholarships, but I doubt they will amount to much if anything.

Why they fight you on everything, IDK.

@laralei I agree 100% that the “affiliated” dorms at West Chester are not worth $4,000-5000 more/year than the “traditional” ones. My daughter “hated” the traditional ones on her first visit to West Chester, but came around to accepting that I wasn’t going to pay that much more for affiliated. She is now in Tyler and doing just fine. She and her roommate have decorated with inexpensive wall tapestries and throw rugs. She still doesn’t like the communal bathrooms, but she’ll survive. At least she doesn’t have to clean them, as she would have to do in affiliated. I think she would dislike that just as much.

Faculty layoff threat removed at four state universities but it remains in place at Cheyney…
http://www.pennlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/09/faculty_layoff_threat_removed.html#incart_river_index

@bester1 Thanks. While that sounds like good news, I hope that they can turn their attention towards mitigating tuition/fee increases.

I don’t see the tuition/fee increases abating any time soon. I do think PA residents would be better off if they did close/consolidate some of the poorer performing schools and redirect those funds to the remaining ones.

We have none in driving distance so no matter which one we go with DD will have to dorm.

Déjà vu: SRU again enrolls largest class in school history…

http://www.sru.edu/news/091917c

PA people, I need a little help.

If I were to travel from the Philly area and couldn’t make the full drive in the morning for an open house type of event in the Pittsburgh area, where would be a nice stop-over if I left Friday afternoon or evening and had to be there around 9 am?

Advice on town or reasonable hotels welcome.

P.S. I like free breakfasts.

Where are you going to visit? It matters as sounds like you want to get up and go to an open house…correct?

@bester1 Grove City

Nevermind

Grove City College is in Grove City. It seemed to offer some scholarship for S when I ran the NPC, but they don’t participate in the federal aid program. They do offer some of their own loans.

If you are leaving Friday afternoon, I would drive as close as possible to Grove City. You can stay along the way in a motel with free breakfast.
Then you won’t have to get up that early on Saturday to get to the open house.

@mommdc Thanks. How close I can get depends on what time we can leave on that Friday.

I was told Grove City College offers some merit but that seems to be tied to a history of demonstrated faith commitment, involvement in ministry and things like that. Otherwise the price is pretty much equivalent to my instate publics without merit. Sciences seem good with a lot of personal attention.

If you are going on I-80 there should be lots of food and lodging along the way.

I am trying to think what’s about 2 hours from Grove City on 80. Bellefonte?

Check to see if there’s a Penn State home game that weekend. If so, you’ll probably want to go a bit farther than Bellefonte (Clearfield or DuBois would be fine). In fact, you should probably avoid the State College area entirely on one of those weekends, take the turnpike instead of I-80, and stay somewhere east of Pittsburgh (Somerset would be about 2 hours from Grove City).