Best and worst PASSHE school?

@bester1 Yes, we rec’d a merit offer from them for 4 years that makes the cost right on par with West Chester and Millersville. It was pretty standard and based on her GPA and ACT of 24. With your slightly higher ACT, you could probably do even better.

I love how clear it is right here! I wish they all would be so transparent:

http://www.ycp.edu/admissions/cost-and-financial-aid/scholarships-and-grants/

Now, I think we need to visit again in the new year and start to narrow down. York has been the only private that seems manageable from a cost perspective at this point. She got into McDaniel also but it looks too costly, and we are waiting to hear from one more school. We also want to call back 2 schools on their offer (to your earlier point) but I’m not expecting anything.

We visited York College last spring. We had a very nice tour but the campus was in the middle of a small flood as it had been raining a lot. My daughter enjoyed the campus vibe at first but then a friend talked her out of it. I thought it was a nice fit…you never know!

What did her friend say to talk her out of it, do you know? I am curious as it is rising up our list lately! Thanks.

Lunch table talk from high school kids…too small, not serious students or swim team, gritty town and so on. From my perspective…a bunch of nothing and I think it would be a good fit for my daughter who is now leaning towards West Chester because the same table said it was a solid choice…these kids are tough and entitled for no reason.

I liked West Chester quite a bit. As I mentioned before, I think attending the busy open house day was a mistake - now I have to convince her to go back on a regular class day, maybe in January?

Funny as think Bloomsburg has a much nicer campus. West Chester has a very nice town with close proximity to Philly so I get the interest, but as I have said 1,000 times…almost all of your college life should take place on campus (movies, speakers, events, athletics, seminars and such). The town of Bloomsburg was much nicer than we expected but not as nice as West Chester.

It is funny how little things change their opinions. I liked Bloomsburg also, but she was spooked by the idea of a “triple” freshman dorm (even though it was a remote chance), didn’t like a story from a local girl/acquaintance, and felt kinda isolated in the middle of the Poconos, with the thought of worse winter weather.

I think D2 might like Bloomsburg more actually.

I know…it is crazy. I think they eliminated the “triple” freshman dorm as the new dorm is opening up for fall of 2017. I have to take some blame but I live in a modest 3 bedroom home, have two well broken in honda’s but for some reason our school and her peers have become college snobs. lol.

My son is a freshman at Bloomsburg now and knows very few freshman who were tripled this year. In fact, the room next door to him sat empty most of the fall! The opening of the new dorm for fall 2017 should eliminate the issue with tripling up freshman for good. Hope this info helps :slight_smile: He loves the town of Bloomsburg and the ability to walk to just about everything. The campus is very pretty and the town is just adorable!

What did you think of the West Chester campus? Some buildings are nice, others seem old and run down, so it is hard to get a good sense. Maybe that doesn’t bother some students.

My daughter is a little too attached to campus aesthetics, which I think is the appeal of Millersville and some of the Virginia schools for her. She is a visual person I guess.

Honestly, I liked both West Chester and Bloomsburg. Bloomsburg’s campus has a great set up with the academic campus and then the athletic site. Some of West Chester’s buildings were really amazing and others looked like typical state university buildings. Both towns are charming in different ways. I really liked the friendliness of the Bloomsburg students and the helpfulness of the staff. Both look to be a solid choice and relatively affordable compared to others. My daughter did not like Millersville. She felt it was too isolated even though it is so close to Lancaster. I took her to Slippery Rock and she felt the same way. Looks like she will get inthe Cooks Honor College but refuses to go there. We all are aware of the Clarion and CalU challenges. Edinboro is just soooo darn cold with that lake effect snow.

I received the merit award for Bloomsburg when I got home today. Zero…lol…wait, she is eligible for $5500 in unsubsidized loans. I thought she would get $1,000 but I was wrong.

So, this letter is separate from the acceptance? I don’t think they give merit to many students anyway.

AARGH
The PASSHE schools are at it again. So sorry @bester1. Hopefully other colleges will be more reasonable.

Yes, this letter was different than the acceptance letter. I thought she might get a little something…$1,000. You never know I guess. Both Ohio University and WVU provided assistance that got the price down to about $23,000/year. Bloomsburg did not flinch…lol…

Ohio U is much better than Bloomsburg, and WVU has more to offer. B’s loss. But short sighted and nonsensical, like much relating to PASSHE. I feel really bad for kids stuck in that system and few other opportunities.

That is good news that Ohio U and WVU are offering something. If you listen to others on CC boards, they will say that OOS U’s dont tend to offer anything to out of state students. Or at least OOS students with modest stats.(I’m not talking Alabama, where you need a >30 ACT)

If our offers had a net price of 23K from a non-PASSHE school that my D really liked, we would be pleased,

PASSHE has many problems, but there are still many kids that are enjoying their time there and receiving a decent education. I don’t think it is all bad.

Ohio U and WVU try to tempt kids from our area knowing the competition and understanding that if they get the old cost to near PASSHE school costs that they have a legit chance to reel that kid in. She can swim at wvu but have not heard from Ohio U. Interesting times and it is a shame that PA positions it’s residents into a challenging situation.

I agree that you can still get a decent education and experience at a PASSHE school. However, for the price…we are forced to look at other places. I can’t wait to get John Carroll University’s final numbers.

Great that she could swim at WVU! She must be quite good. Is she eligible to get at least a partial athletic scholarship from them to bring the cost down more?