Best choice for physical therapy?

IMO it is a good idea to apply to direct entry programs, if you are sure you want PT. Some students change their mind after volunteering and learn that PT isn’t for them.

My friend’s D graduated from UD with a 3.9 gpa and good (not outstanding) gre scores. She did not get into UD’s DPT program, but she did get into NYU. She ended up at her state school. She had 2-3 acceptances and a few rejections.

My family member graduated with a high gpa and good (not outstanding, but good- according to his parent) gre scores. He was rejected from all schools during the first round, but continued with his volunteering and got in during the next application cycle. As I mentioned earlier, he is now in a DPT program. He changed to pre- PT in his junior year of college and although he did have volunteering, maybe it wasn’t enough?

I know a young lady who had wonderful volunteering experiences and activities, but her grades and scores were not there and she has not been accepted. She has been through 2 application cycles and will end up in a different profession. I want to add that she attended an academic reach. If she had attended a school where she was toward the top, would her grades be higher? She will never know.

I would find a school that your son likes, and where he can get very good grades and handle the sciences.

3 Likes

Glad to see that changed. Good luck. PT seems to be a good career choice.

3 Likes

That’s tough to answer. My wife and son went on a regular tour of UCONN pre-pandemic, so they got to see everything then. This trip was really just a refresher (and it was on their way to UD).

That said, when they visited UD they couldn’t get into any buildings and my son still felt like he got a good feel for the place. But, if he does get into UCONN and conditions start to improve for campus tours again, I suspect we’ll be back at both one last time.

1 Like

Very good perspective. A little nerve wracking, but good to be aware of. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

This was my worry when my daughter chose 4/3, instead of auto admit at Scranton and Quinnipiac. She just got her GRE scores, she really didn’t study but wanted a baseline, and all 3 scores were just 1 point lower than UD’s average, so hopefully with a lot of work she can get into a program​:pray::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

My friend’s daughter’s scores were within range for UDel. The student felt that UDel was looking to accept people from other schools. UDel didn’t take its own students that particular year…not sure why.

2 Likes

She would like to go there, but she’s open to anything. We have one a medical school with DPT a half mile from home which would at least save on housing.

1 Like

Interesting. According to UD’s website, over the past 5 years, out of 696 exercise science graduates that they have data for, 31% went directly into a DPT program. UD was by far the most popular destination (as can be seen below). Of the other 69% of graduates, 30% were employed, 18% went for a masters degree, 9% continued their bachelor’s studies, 4% went into medicine, 6% apparently were still seeking to continue their education and 1% were seeking employment.

DPT program (# of UD graduates attending)
UD (71)
Rutgers 18
Thomas Jefferson 11
Arcadia 9
Drexel 7
Columbia 6
StonyBrook 6
NY Medical 6
NYU 5
Emory 5
Widener 4
Mass College of Pharmacy 4
Duke 3
Temple 3
Shenandoah 3
St. Augustine 3
UCONN 2
Maryland 2
Virginia commonwealth 2
Long Island 2
Desales 2
Mass General 2
Sacred Heart 2
Franklin pierce 2
Neumann 2
UNC 1
Seton Hall 1
GW 1
Marymount 1

My two remaining questions are: how many of these graduates who did not attend a DPT program, actually wanted to and just couldn’t get in, and what happened to the 208 graduates they don’t have data for? Either way, their transparency is impressive and I haven’t seen this from other schools.

2 Likes

Thought I’d share this info that we just figured out as we try to move toward making final decisions - Sacred Heart allows for a Neuroscience BS in the 3+3 DPT Program. As my daughter is interested in the treatment of movement issues due to nervous system disorders or disease, she was excited to learn this was an option for her.

3 Likes

Update: looks like UCONN may be making our choice easier. Accepted into Storrs campus, but no merit aid, and more importantly, didn’t get accepted into the major he applied for. Planning on appealing, but UD looking like the choice right now.

1 Like

My daughter spoke with the head of UD’s DPT program with her transcript and GRE scores. She was told she would get into the program, and if she bumped her scores a bit would most likely get a scholarship. She was told not to worry about having fewer shadowing hours as usual. My friend’s son is a UD graduate and she said that before covid, there were so many different shadowing opportunities, it was nuts. UCONN is actually cheaper for my senior than UD, UD only gave her $15,000. I think she might just go to Rutgers.

1 Like

UD it is, officially! Exciting times. Good luck everyone!

4 Likes

Congratulations 2025Dad. My son is currently a freshman and loves everything about UD so far.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s great to hear.

Rutgers Bound too! also for their DPT program!

3 Likes

Actually my DPT is at UD, but I think there is a good chance my twins are going to RBS. Congrats!

3 Likes