Best way to be more marketable with an Economics major?

Long story short, I jacked around and missed out on Mays Business School. As of now I am going with a BS Econ major (which I am happy with still, seeing how it was my second choice of major). I was wondering what minor would make me more marketable in the future. The three options I am looking at right now are: Computer Science, Math, and Finance.

I can say with pure confidence computer science, other are not even close. Knowing how to program will open up many doors to you.

Depends on what direction your going in with econ. Do you think your interested in being a Finance analyst? If your interested, I’d say a finance minor would be great.

Yeah, something along the lines of a Financial Analyst or Financial Planner. I have heard there is almost “too much” cross over between econ and finance though so that is why I am debating between the three minors.

I am a Computer Science major and Computer Science will open up doors for you. If you are up for the challenge then it will be right for you. It will consist of C++ programming, Data Structures and Algorithms, Discrete Math, Computer Organization, Programming Languages, and Computer Systems or Programming languages. All of these classes consist of group work and lots of projects. Once you declare a minor you can’t go back. It will be tough but if you survive then it will rewarding.

Well if your looking for something with out much cross over (but will still learn a valuable skill) Computer sciene is the best. You can ease into minor by completing the corss over classes like engineering mathematics 1-2 and maybe 1 or 2 computer classes.

MATH 151, MATH 152, ENGL 104, and CSC 111 or ENG 111

https://engineering.tamu.edu/cse/academics/degrees/cs/minor

Internships. Internships, internships.

@lessonwitch2 You’re saying Computer Science is best for a minor WITHOUT much cross over, but would you say finance is the better accompanying minor in general, or would you still consider Computer Science to be it?

And thanks to the others that have provided insight also.

I’d say a finance minor would be good IF you are interested in being an analysis. Otherwise, computer science will open more doors for youin terms of job possiblities. Since most econmic majors work at a computer, a computer science minor would be pretty fun and may be useful.

But minors aren’t all. But like @intparent said, internships will make you very valuable.