Best way to find mental health statistics/services on a campus

S24 has started making his list of schools. I have been following some of them on social media, and one school in particular has a had a surge in suicides this year, including two in 24 hours just a couple days ago. I am definitely alarmed, and while I understand the sad reality that suicide numbers in general have been increasing, especially in younger people, I cannot help but wonder what it is about this particular school that might be contributing to their crisis. I am wondering if there is a way to find actual statistics for these types of tragedies for each school. And short of reading the “health and wellness” blurb on their websites, the best way to learn about supports, interventions, etc. Thoughts?

I don’t know any source that tracks college suicides (by college), many aren’t publicized at all. The suicide rate is higher for 18-24 year olds who are not in college vs those in college (obviously too high in both groups).

IMO the most important thing is to have a plan for mental health treatment for students that doesn’t rely on the school’s supports. Many school’s centers are too overloaded (even at schools with good systems in place), and not set up for long term services like treatment, psychotherapy etc.

4 Likes

One thing to note is that suicides (attempts and completed) often occur in clusters…meaning that a cascade effect can happen. Thus, it’s certainly something to look into and be concerned about, but it is not uncommon to see a series of them at a school, once one has occurred, regardless of the strength of mental health services.

3 Likes

I will say it depends on the school. My daughter had a wonderful counselor at her school. She maxed out on the number of appointments she was allowed, but they let her continue. She had a psychiatrist at home she would see while on breaks.

2 Likes