Best way to transfer in?

<p>So I already know that I can't get into the Madison campus. I got my GED and had about a 3.4 GP and got an 1840 on my SAT. </p>

<p>However, I'm pretty set on eventually going to this school. Am I better off going to a CC and trying to transfer in, or going to a non-satellite campus of the UW and transferring from there? And would any non-satellite campus be better than the others, or would my chances of getting accepted as a transfer be more or less the same at any campus? </p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>You don’t need to pay OOS tuition and attend a school in Wisconsin to transfer. Wherever you go be sure your college grades are good to show you can do the UW work. You also don’t want to lose credits with your transfer. The UW Registrar’s office web pages give information on how other schools’ credits transfer- for all Wis institutions and from others as well. Get into the best school you can afford, probably in your home state to save money, and do your best. I suggest a 4 year college if possible to acclimate yourself to the students and campus but you can get the credits anywhere that works. Pay attention to meeting UW’s general graduation requirements when choosing classes to make every credit count. You can research this on the UW website.</p>

<p>You are right to be doing some planning to get into UW-Madison. The best way, in my opinion, would be to move to town, spend one year working first (no classes at all and this is important), then go to MATC (the local CC). As long as you meet the minimum requirements (I think a 2.5???) you get assured admission. Since you would have worked for a year prior to going to MATC, you would also get in-state tuition. You’d come out $75,000 or more ahead of where you’d be if you went to UW-Whitewater right out of HS and then transferred to UW-Madison.</p>

<p>Let me know if you have other questions. My daughter went to MATC for two years and transferred into UW-Madison and was accepted to the Nursing school and is now a senior. A friend of hers at MATC had to take a full year off of classes in order to transfer in and get in-state tuition. They are strict on those rules.</p>

<p>According to [Bachelor’s</a> Degree Completion Options | Madison Area Technical College](<a href=“http://matcmadison.edu/transfer-4-year-college]Bachelor’s”>http://matcmadison.edu/transfer-4-year-college) , the minimum GPA to get assured admission is 3.0.</p>

<p>“Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (students with a 2.6-2.9 will receive consideration)”</p>

<p>In the end I think a community college is your best option, as these tend to be geared to helping students transfer to 4 year institutions.</p>

<p>Best of luck=)</p>

<p>Chidad-- I have a friend from Iowa who did just that, and he’s laughing all the way to the bank. Transfering into UW as a Junior, at age 21. Moved to Madison first year after high school, from Iowa, worked full time at Best Buy and had an apartment. Entered into MATC (now Madison College) at 19, coming into UW with 4.0 from Liberal Arts transfer program. Paying for two years in-state tuition at UW vs. 4 years at oos rate. </p>

<p>Smart kid, too.</p>

<p>These students did not get to take UW classes all 4 years. It may be a smart financial decision but not necessarily the best one for the best education possible. They sacrificed having UW peers in classes and other factors. Yes, they will get a UW degree, but the experience and perhaps knowledge gained will be different. A college education is not just about getting the degree and how much is spent. Notice the operative word is education- not just credits on a transcript.</p>