Big merit NMF/NMSF schools and their specialties

It is not as generous a scholarship as some others, but Washington State University offers four years of full tuition to National Merit Finalists and Semifinalists.

My child did not ultimately attend, but we did visit.

Washington State is a PAC-12 school with a lot of school spirit surrounding the big conference Division I sports. Greek life is big, particularly because it is in a small rural town with a population that is majority students. There are around 21,000 undergraduates and 5,000 grad students. Pullman has a population of under 33,000.

It is also a large research university with relative strengths in agricultural, communications, and business majors. I have heard good things about the Honors College and personally know a student who went from WSU’s Honors College into a PhD science program at an Ivy.

For those outside the area, Pullman has a very different climate than western Washington. Expect a lot less rain and a lot more snow.

7 Likes

I am still hoping we can get detailed descriptions of other big merit NMF schools such as Tulsa, UCF, USF, NJIT, Maine, University of Alabama-Huntsville etc.

Not sure who ended up where, but I’m going to tag some parents who I know really looked carefully at these schools: @mebmama @brokemom23 @Mombbg23 @mdpmdp
(And please tag other parents to this thread who might know more.)

Thanks in advance for as much detail as you can give!

2 Likes

I would really like this thread to focus on the schools themselves rather than the politics of the states where they are located. As the parent of a gender non-conforming kid myself, I am watching the political situation in our country closely and with concern. That said, I would prefer to hear about students’ direct experiences at the current time, rather than hypotheticals. Thanks.

9 Likes

I think that’s a fair request

7 Likes

Okay, but my kids aren’t entering UCF until August, so this is just prospective views. UCF’s niche seems to be Computer Science/Engineering. It was founded to provide graduates for NASA and I believe UCF comprises over 25% of NASAs workforce. It’s surrounded by a tech park with Lockheed, Siemens etc. Their programming team has made it to Worlds many times and the Cyber team wins many titles as well. The campus is well planned out, circular format so nothing is too far. And no cars except on the outer-most perimeter, so it generally feels safe walking. (Unlike several other campuses we were on with busses, cars, mopeds constantly going by). The Honors College is small - about 500 freshman each year enter. Philosophy seems to be- we know the kids are smart academically. Now we want to help with the non-academics. So many social functions for small talk, etiquette, talking with various levels of folks, community etc. Support for resumes/career stuff etc. They provide lots of food so kids come by frequently and it’s located in the center of campus. No thesis required. Early registration for a full year in advance. Many math/science/computer science Honors courses so kids can take Honors in their major to fulfill Homors requirements. Mandatory freshman seminar- one semester. Small classes of maybe 20. Nice dorms. NMFs are guaranteed on campus housing all 4 years, a big deal. The honors dorm is all apartments- most 4br/2ba, living room, full kitchen. Some 4/4’s. Barnes and Noble on bottom floor, little strip of restaurants and bookstore around. Centrally located. We’ll see how it all turns out, but it feels comfortable and safe and kids seem pretty happy.

4 Likes

I have heard those programs are very strong at UCF.

Also Health Sciences and Nursing.

Also outstanding programs in Performing Arts, with lots of internships for both actors and tech at Disney (30 minutes away.) Also Visual Arts, especially Illustration major.

Thanks for the review and I hope you keep us updated as your 3 National Merit kids continue through UCF!

4 Likes

University of Minnesota-Twin Cities offers $11K/year to NMFs, but because it allows stacking, students are likely to snag other UMN scholarships that add up to free tuition for instate and reciprocal state students and deeply discounted tuition for OOS students. Tuition, fees, room and board for my OOS kid is coming in at around $23K, making it lower than the COA for our instate flagship and a little less expensive than the full-tuition NMS scholarship she also got from Fordham. UMN also allows stacking of outside scholarships, whereas Fordham is not as flexible on that point. Acceptance into the UMN Honors Program also doesn’t require a separate application and I’m hoping participation could open the door to a few more scholarships as we go along.

UMN’s overall vibe is an urban campus in the heart of Minneapolis with strong school spirit due to its status as part of the Big 10. The Mississippi River divides two of the three campus areas and the third is in St. Paul. The two campuses are very walkable, the public transportation connecting the three is outstanding, and Minneapolis has easy proximity to lakes, hiking trails, skiing and other natural resources for outdoorsy types. UMN also has strong connections for internships and work with the many Fortune 500 companies and artistic institutions in the city. Cold weather and snow for much of the school year is the down side (though there are a lot of elevated building connectors to help).

UMN is highly rated for education, psychology and other social sciences, engineering, computer science, life and agricultural science, natural science and mathematics.

I can’t speak to overlap schools in any of these areas because my kid choose it for competitive BFA Acting Program. In the BFA Acting world, other overlap schools that also offer generous NMS include Fordham, Boston University and University of Southern California, though the scholarships from the latter two don’t get the COA anywhere near the level of UMN and Fordham. I’d also add Michigan, UCLA, Syracuse, Northwestern, NYU and Carnegie Mellon to the list of overlap schools for theater majors.

4 Likes

Oh wow! Congrats to your kid! The University of Minnesota’s joint UMN/Guthrie BFA acting program is super prestigious! Minneapolis is a great theater town, and ends up launching actors both to Broadway and Hollywood.

Agree with you about UMN’s strengths in addition to Theater. Its Carlson School of Business is very strong. Math and CS are great. Biochem, Engineering, Plant breeding, Wildlife Biology, Food Science, and pre-health sciences and pre-vet are all terrific.

UMN also has close proximity to the state Capitol (St. Paul) so political science has great opportunities.

2 Likes

Thank you @fiftyfity1.

Also, speaking of St. Paul, the Minnesota State Fair is a fun little perk to wind up summer and kick off the school year, too!

My daughter just finished up her freshman year at Alabama, and it was everything we could have hoped for and more! Our only “complaint” about her freshman year was how the school managed housing for NMFs, and they made some adjustments that will hopefully eliminate that concern for going forward.

I have an entire thread dedicated to my daughter’s college search, but merit money was a huge consideration in our search. As a result, we only looked at schools that offered full tuition scholarships or better (we made an exception for MIT). The one thing that stood out about Alabama was that they were exceptionally organized and seemed to create opportunities for every student on campus. If your student is willing to search it out, there’s nothing that UA doesn’t offer. It really was the deciding factor was my DD.

With that said, my daughter stepped out of her comfort zone in so many ways her freshman year. Her real arena of success is academics. She truly has a gift, and school just comes very naturally to her. She joined several academic clubs, and each of those was an amazing experience. She will also begin research next year. However, what she has never been is athletic. Over the summer, she received a mass email about walking onto one of Alabama’s D1 teams, and she thought that she would try out. She mainly wanted to see if she could survive tryouts. Well, that turned out to be her main activity for freshman year. She ended up making the team, and it pushed her in so many ways. And it was completely outside of her comfort zone. It’s still crazy to all of us because if you had mentioned my daughter being on an athletic team a year ago, we all would have laughed.

So to answer your questions, I think that the vibe is really laid back. You can do, or not do, whatever you want. With it being such a large school, your student has to be prepared to put in the effort to find what works for him/her. I know that Alabama has a huge reputation for Greek life, but it never appealed to my daughter. She had no issues making friends without being a part of Greek life. Also, choose your freshman year dorm wisely - each one has a flavor (although it can vary from year to year).

I am not sure of any standout majors, but my daughter is engineering. Although she learned a lot, she was never overwhelmed (took 19 credit hours both semesters). The lack of stress enabled her to thrive! Also, she landed a great internship for this summer, and it pays handsomely. She’s mainly working with Georgia Tech students who have finished their sophomore years. I am a firm believer that a high achieving student will thrive wherever she lands.

With respect to other schools, my DD had several options. At the end of the day, she ended up with free tuition or better offers from seven schools. She didn’t end up at UA because she didn’t have options; she chose it! And she couldn’t be happier. A few of the schools that she turned down include University of Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, University of Georgia, and Southern Methodist University to name a few. Roll Tide!

ETA - And UA’s AP credit policy doesn’t hurt either. They are very generous with the AP credit that they award. This will allow my daughter to graduate in 4 years with two degrees (not just a double major), two minors, and a masters degree.

6 Likes

@HSGingers, is there anything that you would like to add this thread?

1 Like

“A high achieving student will thrive wherever she lands.”

This.

6 Likes

This is wild! To discover she had had this sports talent all along, without having any idea! What a wonderful surprise and kudos to Alabama for offering such an opportunity, and kudos to your daughter for being courageous enough to grab it!

I just read your thread, and it sounds like she found the perfect school match and is thriving in so many ways.

1 Like

It is insanely wild, but I really think that Alabama sets itself apart from other schools in this manner. Not only are there opportunities for every student, but they make it relatively easy to find them. It’s hard for me to articulate, but they do an amazing job matching students with opportunities and even with other students who share their interests. The student does need to take initiative (these opportunities don’t fall into their laps), but if the student wants something, there are abundant resources to help the student find what they are seeking. We just didn’t get this sense from any other school that we toured, and it ultimately proved to be the difference maker (along with the Randall Research program).

2 Likes

I have two NMF daughters - one at Alabama and one at UTDallas. The cultures are very different, and each of my daughters feel that they are at the school that is right for them. I agree with most of what has been posted about each of those schools in this thread so far. I guess I would add.

In regards to OOS students making friends at Alabama - given that 60% of the students are OOS, this is not an issue. And, it’s not like some schools where all the OOS students are from adjacent states; there really are kids from ALL OVER the country. My daughter also isn’t in Greek life, and she hasn’t felt that it is an issue socially at all. She has some friends that are in Greek life, but the majority of her friends are not. Most of her friends are in one or more of the selective honors cohorts (Randall, Fellows, Blount, McCollough, EPIC).

In some ways the larger student body of Alabama does fit the party school stereotypes. But, as a result of Bama’s aggressive NMF recruiting efforts, there is what I would describe as a subculture of very smart, academically-motivated, highly-driven students who are able to take advantage of the incredible opportunities available to them as a large research university. My daughter and every one of her friends who wanted to were able to start participating in research starting at the beginning of freshman year.

The scholarship stacking at Alabama is also great. My daughter came in with a few smaller outside scholarships that made her first year free for us except for her plane tickets home. During her first year, she applied for departmental scholarships, and she was awarded a generous scholarship from her major department that is renewable and will cover the additional expenses for her remaining years at Alabama. She will graduate college with zero debt and zero cost to us - it’s actually cheaper for us than when she lived at home.

For UTD, there is definitely a campus culture that is nerdy and mostly introverted. Most of the students are comp sci/engineering or premed. While the NMF cohort on campus includes students from all over, a significant portion of the overall student body is from the DFW area. One difference that my daughters noticed in their respective colleges is the focus on politics within the student body. My daughter at UTD says that discussions regarding local, state, national, and international politics are common, as is political activism. My daughter at Alabama says that people just don’t talk about those topics very much, if at all, and the Bama campus isn’t very politically active in general.

The Honors College at UTD has been one of my daughters favorite things there. She loves doing the “Honors Night Out” events where students can go to dinner and symphony or opera performance free with faculty. She’s developed some great relationships with faculty members outside of class (and even a few in departments that she never would have met otherwise).

The culture at UTD isn’t a good fit for students wanting the traditional college campus experience as far as big sports and college as it is depicted in popular media. But, for students who aren’t looking for that and appreciate the good academics and quieter social opportunities, it’s a great fit. Like Alabama, they allow scholarship stacking, and there are plenty of options for research and student organizations in which to engage. They are also very flexible about major changes and taking classes outside the major.

Both my daughters have found that the faculty have been very friendly, accessible, and receptive to meeting with them to discuss research or career options within their fields, even professors whose classes they aren’t taking.

If anyone has questions about our experience with either school, I’m happy to answer in this thread or a PM.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for these detailed reviews! So interesting to hear about the vibe/culture differences between UTD and Alabama, and how each of your NMS daughters found the fit that was right for her.

Would you be willing to tell a little more about these opportunities? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

You can scroll to the bottom of the link and see a description of the various Honors programs. I can’t say enough positive things about Randall Research! In addition to the research component, it’s great for making social connections.

If you are accepted into one of these cohorts and complete the program, it replaces all of the other Honors College requirements.

https://honors.ua.edu/

1 Like

One of my daughter’s friends had the same type of experience at another D-1 school; she ended up on the rowing team, even though she had no prior rowing experience (but she had the right body type and musculature).

2 Likes

Ok we are still lacking reviews of some of the big merit NMF/NMSF schools. So I am going to tag some CC regulars here who might be willing to tell what they know about these schools even if they don’t have a student who is currently attending (vibe, special features, standout majors, diversity, details about the package, schools that are similar/overlaps 
really the more detail the better!)

Tulsa: @lkg4answers @helpingthekid73 @sbinaz
U of Alabama-Huntsville: @sbinaz @tsbna44
Also does anybody know who should be tagged for Maine or USC?

Thanks in advance, everyone! I really want this thread to be a great starting resource for National Merit kids and parents!

2 Likes