Big merit NMF/NMSF schools and their specialties

I love to hear this story! We are proud of campus and our great programs. Tell your son to stop by my office when you arrive. Every parent and student has my personal cell phone, which you’ll get on matriculation day. Just drop me a text and look forward to meeting you.

Brad

6 Likes

Oh yes, we are also building a climbing wall, so your son will enjoy!

4 Likes

I could have written this post about my DD. We only visited UA because it was open during C19, and we needed a “vacation” to get us out of the house. We figured that we would visit and cross it off the list. Well, the rest is history, and she just finished her freshman year. She loved it!

2 Likes

This is a great thread! Thanks for creating it. My son should be a NMSF (& NMF, hopefully) so I’m starting to look into his options.

Unfortunately, it looks like UMaine has downgraded their NMSF scholarship for the 2024-25 year to cover only tuition & fees (no room & board). This is for both in-state & OOS first-year students. This is quite disappointing to us, since we live in the area. I know UMaine has been struggling with decreased enrollment lately, which is in part due to the fact that Maine made community college tuition-free for many Maine HS grads in recent years. I’m sure that was probably one factor in this decision.

It also looks like OOS students no longer qualify for the Benacquisto Scholarship for the FL schools, at least for the first year. I’m hoping there aren’t any other downgrades going on for NMF scholarships at other schools.

1 Like

Oh that is too bad! UMaine was a nice option for a full ride for students with the PSAT scores to make NMSF, but not the grades to get NMF status.

To clarify though, is it only just the NMSFs that Maine is giving the lower award (tuition and fees only?) In other words, are NMFs still eligible for the full ride (including room and board?) It wasn’t clear to me from the website.

I believe that UMaine was (& still is) giving the same scholarship to both NMSFs & NMFs. It’s a bit confusing because, in relation to this scholarship, their website sometimes references NMSF and sometimes references both NMSF & NMF, but I think they mean that the student has to be at least an NMSF.

1 Like

I just wanted to give another UTD update because I know people researching colleges are always interested in college out comes.

In my original post on this thread I said that “my youngest just started his “dream internship” in Houston that should lead to employment at or very close to 6 figures when he graduates next year.”

He has now completed his internship and loved it! He just received his official offer of employment and it exceeded our expectations, he will be comfortably in the 6 figure range even after taxes!

There were interns from UTD, UT Austin and TAMU and some from OOS. All the interns that were offered jobs where offered the same package based on their level of education regardless of where they went to school. Students with Masters we’re offered $10K more than students with only BS degrees. Because my son was Nation Merit at UTD and had ample AP and DE credits and did their Fast Track program he’ll graduate with his MS in CS in the four years of his scholarship fully funded, debit free and money in the bank.

As far as I’m concerned this settles the merit vs. prestige question. My kids could have gone to more prestigious schools but it would have been college debit vs. full ride with money in the bank for the same or very similar out come.

10 Likes

My son went to Mizzou (University of Missouri). It’s in-state for us, so the package was better than for OOS NMF. Mizzou is best known for its journalism school.

Process: It was the only school he applied to. He knew since a field trip in 8th grade that he wanted to go there. (I think it might have been the pool with the lazy river -ha!). It also helped that his girlfriend was going there as well. He has been there a little over a week now and is absolutely loving it.

I was really hoping he would check out Tulsa. It’s actually about 2 hours closer to us than Mizzou. The NMF package was better at Tulsa, but since we are Missouri residents, he could get an additional $3000/year Bright Flight scholarship which ended up making both offers similar. He applied for other scholarships at Mizzou and ended up getting an additional $2000 that way. This year, they are refunding him several thousand dollars. He is planning to save that money and use Bright Flight to help pay living expenses over the next few years because housing is only covered for freshman year.

Bottom Line: He wants to go to law school, so finding a place where he could graduate debt free was important to us.

This is what he received:

• Full Tuition and Fees
  • $3,500 additional annual stipend
  • $10,940 one-year on-campus housing and dining
  • $2,000 research/study abroad support (one-time award)
  • $1,000 tech enrichment (one-time award)

If you are OOS, the offer is $22,500 per year for 4 years. Hope this info helps!

5 Likes

Curious to hear from those with students on the new NMSF scholarship at the University of Tulsa. First, what are the renewal requirements beyond taking 15 credits/semester? What GPA must be maintained? Second, did you discover any surprises after learning more about the scholarship (something you didn’t understand just from reading what’s on their website)? Thanks!

3 Likes

To maintain the scholarship at TU, you have to remain in “good academic standing.” This means, absent extenuating circumstances, a 2.0 GPA. Hope that helps!

I’ll let others offer their experiences to date at TU. Eager to read those myself!

7 Likes

Does anyone know how much Auburn gives for OOS NM? Thanks.

$1k per year above other merit

1 Like

Hi @PresCarsonTulsa Are there any anticipated changes to TU’s National Merit Scholarship for 2024? It looks like the scholarship includes the Tier 1 meal plan with 7 meals per week – do most students end up upgrading to one of the meal plans that includes more meals per week?

Thanks for your response! We’re looking forward to learning more about your university when visiting in November for Tulsa Time.

2 Likes

Also some of these NMF kids at Alabama take up to 24 hours per semester and it is free. You read that right. My kid takes 15.5 per because of the 1.5 hours for Stem to MBA but others take 23-24 every semester.

Yes, we are offering the Tier 2 meal plan next year for NMSFs.

3 Likes

Does anyone have insight into Virginia Commonwealth University? I think they give big nmf scholarships.

National Merit Scholarship Program

Finalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program who apply to VCU by Nov. 1 and notify the National Merit Scholarship Corp. by May 31 that VCU is their first choice are eligible for a VCU Presidential Scholarship. Finalists with questions can contact Kittinun Wongsirikul at wongsirikulk@vcu.edu or (804) 828-6528.

The four-year Presidential Scholarship covers the cost of tuition and fees up to $16,000 per year (maximum amount of $8,000 per semester), as well as room and board. Room allowance is equal to the cost of a room in the Honors College residence hall; board is equivalent to the 250 Block plus $175 Dining Dollars meal plan.

The estimated total value of this four-year award is approximately $114,356.

3 Likes

Is that a new one? I don’t remember it

No idea if it exists. It’s on their website. I copy/paste the text above. There’s a person to contact too.

https://honors.vcu.edu/admissions/scholarships--aid/

2 Likes