Binge watched tv shows

I enjoyed The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix and was delighted to see a child actor we liked in a family favorite movie, all grown up. (Kebabs for Sam :wink: )

@gouf78: try Call my agent instead. Same scenery (more variations) and funnier

To my surprise, DH likes, “Emily in Paris.” I didn’t realize the actress is Phil Collins’ daughter until my D told me. We like the scenery. We even like the Parisians’ gruffness because we found it to be the case when we visited. Of course the show is not realistic, but there are a LOT of comedies that aren’t. Even in “Everybody Loves Raymond,” where were those kids 90% of the time?

I’ll try Call Your Agent sometime just because any series with Paris scenery, people and food is pleasant. LOL.

I watched all of Emily in Paris and I will compare it to Younger in that it is sort of light, somewhat corny stereotypical characters fluff. I can see teens and young adults enjoying the ease of it - it’s like a 20-something chick flick.

Don’t watch it if you’re expecting award winning acting and depth. But it’s 5 hours (spread out over a couple of weeks) that was entertaining enough for me.

Did anyone watch The Undoing last night? It’s a limited series starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant on HBO. It’s an east coast Big Little Lies. I’m hooked!

2 Likes

I want to see that (Undoing)! Also, fittingly for CC, it’s from the same author as Admission, J Hantz Korelitz :slight_smile:

DH recorded the Undoing and I can’t wait to watch it!

Samurai Gourmet is sooo sweet.

I’m enjoying The Chosen

@ams5796 We watched the The Undoing last night. As soon as I heard Nicole, Hugh and Big Little Lies writer David E. Kelley (Boston Legal, Chicago Hope and others), that was a must see for me! Filmed in NY (I recognize the school used from something else?) The young actor playing the son was in Ford vs. Ferrari last year. He has worked with Matt Damon and Christian Bale already and played young Shia LaBeouf but that movie looks sad. The detective is Edgar Ramirez. I said at the end, glad once a week because it would be hard not to binge the show!

Watched the premier last night. Looks like it’s going to be very good.

Watched Emily in Paris, the first one- H thinks it was written by someone that spent very little time in France. We have been there many times including a long stay in 2017. Agree it is French people bashing which we just have not experienced. Same night we then watched Call Your Agent. Much better, more realistic and liked it. Will continue with that one.

@amylou2 -

We are watching Any Day Now on StartTV. We got one of those antenna device things and this station comes up on our TV as 2.2. It’s on every day at 10 AM NY time. I don’t recall ever seeing this show before. My only recollection of Annie Potts before that was her role in the original Halloween.

I second the recommendation for The Undoing. Watched it last night–can’t wait for the Episode 2 on Sunday.

I just watched Roadkill, on PBS Masterpiece. Fun, and with Hugh Laurie, formerly Dr. House. Only four episodes.

@oldmom4896 , yes Roadkill has lots of promise. From what was set up in first episode, all hell is going to break loose very soon for Hugh Laurie’s character.

If you’re watching Cobra on PBS, tonight’s episode was quite intense. I believe next week’s episode is the last?

I set the DVR to record all the episodes of Roadkill, but likely won’t get to it for a few weeks. I’m watching The Trouble with Maggie Cole on PBS and, while I’ve liked it from the start, the plot gets better every episode. 3 down and 3 to go. Hoping to watch the last 2 episodes of The Queen’s Gambit tonight. If it sounds like the television is my best friend, there’s a little truth to that. I live alone and D checks in every day and S often FaceTimes with oldest GD around their dinner time, but after dinner is just me and my television. I’m a reader, but seem to fall asleep when reading after dinner; hence, television. I always appreciate the suggestions on this thread.

We’re hooked on “Counterpart” on Amazon Prime.

J.K. Simmons stars (plays two characters) and it is riveting.

Finished Queen’s Gambit this weekend. Flashbacked to all the hoopla around the Fischer/Spassky matches.

We have watched two episodes of Queen’s Gambit. I was really into chess when I was a kid and read Bobby Fischer’s book until it was worn out. I prided myself on being a good chess player until I met DH and he destroyed me! Turns out his grandfather and great-uncle, who immigrated from Russia with their parents, were excellent chess players. They went to different Ivy League schools and played each other in a tournament. I found one of the games they played in a book! So DH learned a lot from his grandfather. He enjoys playing kids he mentors at the youth detention facility. Some of them have spent a lot of time at the game and are surprised he can beat them. :slight_smile:

1 Like