Binge watched tv shows

Can you set up Disney+ on your laptop, connect it to your tv via HDMI cable, and then watch it on your tv? We used to do that before we had a Roku stick.

1 Like

I might be able to do that, thanks for the suggestion.

I also read that it may be possible to go around the preloaded apps on the LG and use an Amazon Fire stick. We have a Fire stick on a second TV and will try that tomorrow.

2 Likes

I guess some of the network series are on hold now until March 4. Grey’s, A Million Little Things and some others.

Just finished watching last night’s Grey’s episode and I was shocked to hear them say it wouldn’t be back until March 4th. They really did a good job of conveying what it must be like to work in health care and seeing all that those workers sacrifice negated by selfish people who just can’t be bothered to wear a mask or curtail their activities.

2 Likes

@compmom Well, I finally finished watching the final season of Offspring. I’m guess I am glad I did for the closure as it was nice to see all the characters get some kind of happy ending but Seasons 5-7 were a big disappointment compared to how good the show was in Seasons 1-4. They should have ended it when they were on top. I would still recommend it though just because the first 4 seasons were so so good! I had read the same thing about Matt Le Nevez, but he ended up signing on to two seasons in another Australian show (Love Child) immediately after Offspring and then filmed another series in Tasmania so that whole explanation of his wanting to work in the US seems kind of dodgy.

On another note, really enjoyed Derry Girls on Netflix and the new Perry Mason show on HBO and looking forward to second seasons for both. Am going to start watching Queens Gambit now. For anyone who likes science fiction, The Expanse on Amazon Prime is really good and the 5th season just started this week.

1 Like

@Lemonlee, if you liked Derry Girls, this year’s season of the British Holiday Baking Show (or whatever it’s called) on Netflix has an episode with 5 actors from Derry Girls competing. Lots of laughs.

2 Likes

Thanks @MADad! I’ll definitely check that out.

I’m always behind the game in television watching
so I know this is 2019 news I think , but I started watching Pen15 last night . I believe it was highly rated and I find it interesting and entertaining and SO middle school (which is what it is!)

This thread is so long I don’t know if it was brought up but has anyone mentioned Being Erica? Great great show. There is a time travel element but NOT sci-fi at all. The time travel is just a plot device to get at the theme which is how to have a life well lived. The main character goes back and relives her regrets. It’s sweet and interesting.

3 Likes

I know it’s not “fun” to watch Grey’s Anatomy right now, but I’m grateful for what they’ve done. First, they’ve clearly asked people in the healthcare system to bring up real life stories and tried to respect these stories: you can really see what it’s like for doctors, hospitals, patients; if you’re so lucky that no one’s been attacked or hurt by the virus you can see various impacts (on patients at different stages or levels, on their families). I don’t know, it may even help people who don’t get it, get it, or help some decide to wear a mask, I have no idea, but we know weekly TV shows can be powerful.
I also think they’re doing it for history, regardless of ratings to a certain extent - Grey’s has been going on for so long, is going to be on reruns for decades, when we’re 80 it’ll still be on TV and it’ll be a trace of what 2020 is/was, part of what 2020 will be remembered as.
[It may be easier for me to watch because I mostly watched in 2004-2006 because it was a great filler in the background and I was just off an ABC boycott :p; I never watched “seriously”, I find the show a bit boring, but many characters are easy to get attached to; last time I watched I think was around when Derek died. It’s an unrealistic show and jumping into it to see how they treated Covid was I was impressed with what they’d done with realism. Lots of characters have changed or disappeared but there’s some catharsis in this being a mirror of real life, ie., the pandemic, as well as a fiction, ie. characters dealing with fictional problems. If you know and care for all characters currently on screen and their lifestories/backstories, I suppose it’d be different so I hope I’m not hurting any fan’s feelings.]
I suppose they’ll go straight from March 4th through May 20th, ie., 12 episodes.

3 Likes

They’re going to do a remake of sorts! :slight_smile:
(I’m a sucker for all time travel science fiction, but time travel as conceit works for me too.)

1 Like

The season is 16 episodes total. 6 have aired, so 10 left. The hiatus is ABC’s decision, not Grey’s; all 3 Thursday shows return March 4.

Thanks!

Just watched it! You finally got me to watch a baking show. Loved it.

I’m thankful for this thread and all the ideas. going to watch Undoing, call your agent, counter part, Deutschland 83, and Perry mason. thanks all.

now, for my guilty pleasure, I’ve been watching Virgin River on Netflix; 2nd season. It’s gorgeous scenery; takes place in NO CA; filmed in Canada. I just feel so annoyed at one of the characters. She’s gotta be mid 40s, single, pregnant with twins and the bio-dad likes someone else, and she’s acting all helpless. It’s a predicament for sure but the whole idea just makes me mad. Grow UP. Ok, rant over; I do like the show!

3 Likes

Grey’s Anatomy is still going? That’s cool! I started watching on Netflix in Oct 2019 when husband was away 
 figured it would be good to pick a show with lots of seasons. I’m now part way through Season 9.

I am one of those people that will watch a show until it finally gets canceled, which made for a couple of painful seasons of Glee. However, I gave up on Grey’s Anatomy after Season 10, except I did watch the episode with - spoiler alert - Derek’s death. It just get too unwieldy for me. And I never liked Shondra’s other shows anyway.

Meanwhile I just finished Season 4 of The Crown. I can’t believe we have to wait 2 years for Season 5.

Next up - The Queen’s Gambit.

3 Likes

Perhaps you can try just to see their treatment of the pandemic.

Just finished Ted Lasso. Thanks for recommending it! Looking forward to 
whenever the next season starts.

On the schedule:
Queen’s Gambit
The Crown 3 (just watched Aberfan)

Looking for a comedy recommendation (Schitt’s Creek was my favorite this year, have grown less fond of Mom, I also like Black-ish).

I think they’ve done a fantastic job on Grey’s this season. I’d like to know if their PPE with the face shield “helmets” are true PPE anywhere. Those seem so much better than full face masks fir the medical profession.

I started Dash & Lily on Netflix yesterday afternoon and finished it today. Only 8 short episodes. I absolutely adored it, particularly the wisdom of Mrs. Basil E. (or maybe the nostalgia for my kids reading the book from whence her nickname is derived). Just what I needed on what has been a somewhat lonely Christmas.

5 Likes