Binge watched tv shows

Soul is worth watching before cancelling your subscription.

2 Likes

I agree the first episode of Queen’s Gambit is dark. In fact, if I had not read so many recommendations here and elsewhere we might not have stuck with it. So glad we did!

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement. @Colorado_mom, I didn’t find the first episode of Queen’s Gambit particularly dark. I just really did not feel the slightest connection with the main character. I wasn’t particularly interested in her plight or her ploys. I was more interested, as I said, in Jolene. Maybe if they teach her to play chess I’d keep watching.

2 Likes

I tried watching “Bridgerton” last night but found it just too cartoonish. It can’t decide if it’s satire or serious. And the sets are so obviously painted backdrops, it’s jarring. Contrasted with something like “Downton Abbey”, “Bridgerton” just doesn’t compare. I ended up falling asleep. So it’s good as a soporific.

@TatinG we also started watching Bridgerton last night and I fell asleep during episode 2. I guess we will keep watching it, but so far it has not really grabbed my attention.

We also tried “Bridgerton” but it didn’t impress us. We gave up during the first episode.

I’m waiting for someone to get excited about new Nordic or Euro Noir and recommend.

I’ve been watching Bridgerton. Not sure how I felt about it, but have continued. It gets better, not like Downton better, but better enough for me to binge. I don’t like when they throw in current times speech, or music. Some find it fun, I don’t. Thankfully it’s not a lot.

Watched Call A Midwife Christmas special. Streamed it on my iPad through pbs.org. It’s playing for free until Jan 24th? I teared up, one of the few shows that can do that for me. I just love “old Jenny narrative”. Sometimes I think I watch just for the music at the beginning and her.

5 Likes

The Bryan Cranston series “Your Honor” on Showtime is a great suspenseful drama. Filmed in New Orleans, it has a gritty reality to it. New episodes air on Sundays.

3 Likes

Thanks to @Youdon_tsay I am watching “Friday Night Lights.” I had seen a few episodes of the show when it was new but I’ve never watched the entire series. I didn’t realize they used my high school for some of the shots. In the first episode, they used their football field and their uniforms. :slight_smile: Mack Brown also makes a cameo appearance as a father. I’m really enjoying it.

3 Likes

We love this series so much. And love the Christmas specials each year.

3 Likes

Ted Lasso on Apple TV Plus - we had a heck of a time figuring out how to get Apple TV Plus - but so worth it. A wonderful, uplifting show about a US football coach hired to coach a English soccer team. Funny, heartwarming and can’t wait for Season 2 and 3. You do not need to be a sports person to enjoy.

Huge Call the Midwife fan - my husband and kids always know when I am watching - as I have a box of Kleenex :wink: on the ready.

1 Like

Agree - but I have to be in the right mood to watch, as it does of a good job of making you think about what you would do for your kids and not a relaxing watch at all !

My husband and I both really enjoy Call the Midwife. Alas, we are now into Season 9 and will be sad when it ends. It’s our go-to show when we are not sure what to watch. It’s been glorious to have so many episodes available during Covid.

It sounds like there will be a Season 10 someday, but delayed.

And an 11th.

4 Likes

Bridgerton was filmed around London at various homes and settings. They are not “painted backdrops”.

1 Like

Indeed. Plus lots filmed in Bath, with very recognizable places and house facades (including the Royal Crescent and the N1 House I believe, the area around Pulteney Bridge
)

That being said I’m getting tired of Bridgerton. At Episode 4, I was thinking “are they going to string us along for 4 more episodes of will they wont they (marry?) YAWN.”
SPOILERS
And sure enough Episode 5 is the Wedding and Episode 6 is Honeymoon. Daphne still hasn’t caught on to the relation between babies and sex but has definitely decided she likes sex, so don’t watch episode 6 with kids.
Also, am I the only one who thinks of Elsa when seeing Daphne?

My husband and I love Ted Lasso! We’ve watched four or five episodes and are totally hooked.

1 Like

Oh My. I loved Bridgerton. I found it to be historical satire and very funny. I was not moved by this holiday’s Midwife, although I love it generally. Totally enjoying Amazon Prime “The Wild”. Enjoyed the Queens’s Gambit but found a few of the episodes too slow. Loved the “Bonus Family”.

According to today’s article in our newspaper asking “how accurate is Bridgerton’s tale of sex and scandal in Regency England?” the conclusion is overall it is pretty accurate as to social aspects including the gossip newspaper. I thought it was a very fun show.

1 Like