Binge watched tv shows

In a thread whose purpose seems to mostly be a place to ask for and give recommendations for series to watch, no matter how old a series is, it seems inappropriate to mention spoilers, at least without a warning (like ML did in her post above mine) that it is a spoiler. That seems to be common courtesy on other social media outlets I use such as Goodreads and Facebook groups.

10 Likes

I donā€™t know whatā€™s happened to common courtesy on CC - from all types of contributors. This thread typical doesnā€™t have spoilers without the Spoiler Alert clearly included first. Iā€™m sorry youā€™ve been treated this way.

5 Likes

I gave a vague descriptionā€“would hardly call that a spoiler. Saying a book does not have a happy ending is not a spoiler.

This thread discusses TV shows. I mentioned a 20 year old book that a TV show was based on. Having never watched the TV show, I would not expect much similarity between the book and the TV show, since the book covers ONE season while the TV show ran for multiple seasons.

Some just need to lighten up. Sorry for the snark, butā€¦some are maybe too sensitive???

2 Likes

@MADad I didnā€™t see your ā€œspoilerā€ before you edited, but my post really was aimed at skieuropeā€™s comment.

1 Like

This thread is such a pleasant distraction. Reading this I donā€™t think anyoneā€™s intention was to upset anyone else. Hope everyone can feel better and continue this useful resource without hard feelings! I appreciate all the opinions on various shows and series.

3 Likes

My feelings donā€™t change. It was not a plot summary and the movie is 17 years old. I agree spoilers should be avoided when discussing last nights episode of This is Us (as it were on). But we can agree to disagree.

@eb23282 Iā€™ve only seen the Friday Night Lights movie once. It was darker and sad and Billy Bob Thornton is no Kyle Chandler.
I would easily put Friday Night Lights in the top ten of my favorite one hour dramas with Northern Exposure, ER, Mad Men, Halt and Catch Fire, House, Succession, Ozark, The Americans (off the top of my head).
Friday Night Lights tv show had a cast that we loved. Also, maybe I was a little biased. When the show started, my now 29 year old son was a high school freshman and he played football. So we watched during the original run and didnā€™t binge.

1 Like

Itā€™s not that Iā€™m just not interested in football. Itā€™s that I cannot stand to watch it being played. Can not stand it. The worry about injuries is just too great. Hated FNL episodes that I watched because everyone said it would get better. It didnā€™t. Not for me.

1 Like

No we canā€™t. Itā€™s pretty simple to have just type SPOILER ALERT. This is not the CC Bookclub where itā€™s assumed everyone has read the book. Iā€™m watching the West Wing now because I was busy reading to my kids when it was on.

6 Likes

LOVED West Wing. We saw it as a family on DVD one summer when the kids were still home.

After my nest totally emptied in 2010, FNL and West Wing were two of my very first binges. They are still among my favorites. I do remember how surprised one of my daughters was that FNL would be my ā€œthingā€, due to all the football and high school drama, but I loved it. I am always looking for such engaging characters. I really hate soccer, but loved Ted Lasso too- just too short at only 10 episodes.

1 Like

An American football coach from Kansas who goes to London to coach an English football, aka, soccer, team. But you donā€™t have to be into sports to love the series.

2 Likes

Iā€™m new to this page, but living in a current covid house, Iā€™ve been binging even more than normal. Iā€™ve almost finished up season two of Good Girls, and itā€™s pretty great all around (one if my daughters suggested it). Some of my favorites have been Broadchurch, Little Fires Everywhere (I thought it was better than the book), The Last Kingdom, Derry Girls, The Queens Gambit, The Handmaids Tail, The Crown, The West Wing, The Blacklist, Schitts Creek, You, The Sinner, Black Mirror, Unorthodox, Fleabag, Catastophe, Dead to Me, Big Little Liesā€¦ Iā€™ve watched Virgin River and Firefly Lane, and will continue, they are a little too sweet, but something keeps my interest. I love the fact that folks love Call the Midwife, Iā€™ve been watching since it aired on PBS, followed Downton Abby on Sunday nights.

4 Likes

Can we ā€œsomewhatā€ agree to:

1. Give warning of spoilers. Perhaps it shows how worthy a show is if we are still talking/watching it years later. Many donā€™t have the liberty or take the choice of binge watching many episodes at a time to fly through series.

2. Discussion of shows is great! Likes and dislikes! To a point. With FNL it seems we are now conducting a poll or keeping score (LOL, keeping score on a show that many have expressed they hate footballā€¦).

Letā€™s keep breathing new life into the thread instead of suffocating it.

7 Likes

My youngest D (who was home for the early part of lockdown) and I watched the every season of West Wing! We loved it. One of the best shows we watched during quarantine.

4 Likes

I recently binge watched ā€œGrace and Frankieā€ which I really enjoyed for a whileā€¦ but then kinda got tired of it.

3 Likes

I love Grace and Frankie. So sad the next season is the last.

I love FNL and have binged it twice over the past 5 years or so.

Another show I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen mentioned which I binged and loved is Veronica Mars. We used to see the film crew in various locations around San Diego years ago when my Ds were young and the show was in production.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted to give Parenthood a watch- itā€™s another long commitment though!

I think we are going to be seeing a big step forward in show production so come summer or fall our plates might be overflowing with shows we started watching that have new seasons finally coming out (like Atypical, Dead To Me, Sex Education, etc.)

1 Like

@abasket I liked Parenthood, but not as much as FNL.

1 Like