Binge watched tv shows

Dead to Me is coming out in the summer or fall?!? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Is that for certain?

Another series my DH and I really like is the reboot of Lost in Space on Netflix. Itā€™s really nostalgic for me because I loved the series when I was a kid. I think theyā€™ve done a great job modernizing the storylines with the reboot. Hoping the next season comes out by the end of the year. We are also looking forward to the next season of Stranger Things, but not sure when that will happen.

4 Likes

Nothing announced. But IMO itā€™s unlikely to be that soon.

1 Like

We really enjoyed Parenthood. I think it was our 2nd binge series (after FNL), in the early days of being delighted about no commercials / watch anytime. It seems like there were not season-end cliffhangers (others could confirm)ā€¦ ie maybe could watch just one season.

Other older shows we both liked (originally on USATV), which may not be currently available:
White Collar (spies/criminals)
Royal Pains (concierge Dr to wealthy folks in Hamptons)
Blacklist (spies/criminals)
Blind Spot (")
Fairly Legal (lawyers and mediator)
Rush (concierge Dr to criminals)
Covert Affairs (spies)
Burn Notice (spies/criminals)
Suits (lawyers),
Pysch (investigators, funny)
Monk ( " )

Looking at the USATV ā€œtop 20ā€ list, I am also reminded of Mr Robot. We started to watch, but it was just too dark for me. My husband liked it better. He also watched Breaking Bad.

1 Like

Kids have urged us to watch Brooklyn 99 and Schittā€™s Creek. Done. Worth it.
Their next suggestion is The Good Place. Up next. Have heard good things about it.

3 Likes

I was the complete opposite. Loved FNL, but not as much as Parenthood. @abasket , you need to fit it in somehow.

1 Like

The Good Place is excellent!

3 Likes

@amsunshine no I donā€™t know that Iā€™m just starting to see Netflix ads for shows including t that one and know that some shoes are going back in production. A series like that only has what, 8-10 episodes? Not as intense as a 20+ network to series.

1 Like

You are a ā€œ blue skiesā€ show fan like me. Loved almost all of those. Was obsessed with White Collar and Burn Notice. Have you tried Izombie? I know itā€™s weird but it fits in with alot. of the tone of those other shows. Not interested in zombies? Tell you what. Watch just the first 12 min of the first episode. You might be very pleasantly surprised. I was.

2 Likes

To me, binge watching Grace and Frankie was like eating too much chocolate cake. I love it, but got tired of it. Too much of a good thing, I guess. Not sure how many more episodes there were that I missed.

1 Like

I like Grace and Frankie, but my husband does not. So I watch them slowly over time on my own. Ditto for Schittā€™s Creek.

Yes, @maya54 ā€¦ I do prefer ā€œblue skiesā€ shows. My family knows I prefer movies that are ā€œnot darkā€ both in content and in literal lighting (hate it when most scenes are outside at night). I can tolerate some explosion and shooting scenes but prefer minimal blood and gore.

3 Likes

I liked Grace and Frankie, but I do think it went on a bit too long.

I also really enjoyed White Collar. We recently saw the guy who plays the FBI agent as a bad guy in Lucifer and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out why he looked so familiar.

2 Likes

Any thoughts about Lost? Iā€™ve watched two episodes and am a little underwhelmed so far. But I know a lot of people loved the show.

My husband loved Lost. I didnā€™t like it. Itā€™s been a while since we watched it when it was first released, but I found it to be too weird and nonsensical. I didnā€™t find the acting to be very good either. Iā€™m usually ok with weird but something about the show just got on my nerves.

Agree about Lost. It was too interested in its own weird storyline and not enough in its characters. My favorite shows are fundamentally about friendship and love but donā€™t need those things to drive the show because when they do they ( to me) fetishize dysfunction in the relationships. Thatā€™s why I canā€™t stand a show like This is Us. Or The Affair. If your entire plot is about relationships you need to fuel the plot by having the relationship go bad. Yuck! If your story is about people working together to solve crimes, you can build ā€œ beautiful friendshipā€ without constantly having to induce drama into the relationships. Thatā€™s why I have found that, for example White Collar, Grimm, and Izombie tell more interesting stories about friendship and/or love than any show thatā€™s supposed to be about those things.

3 Likes

We watched back when it was on, and my husband even suggested that maybe if we binge it it would make more sense. It seemed like there were mysterious plots that were never solved.

1 Like

I just finished season 1 of Call My Agent, and really enjoyed it even though it was all subtitled. I did pick up bits and pieces from my high school French. It was a change of pace to not recognize half the actors - no one to identify from Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Downton Abbey, Outlander, etc.

3 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed Call My Agent. I donā€™t speak French, but I loved listening to itā€¦especially catching the words that are so similar to English. Great story, acting!

3 Likes

Hereā€™s one I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen mentioned. ā€œAfter Lifeā€. Two short seasons on Netflix. Ricky Gervais is a widower trying to get on with his life. I was neither a lover nor a hater of Ricky Gervais, but I really liked him in this. Lots of British small-town scenery and accents may have been the tipping point that won me over.

5 Likes

Iā€™m currently watching Doctor Thorne on Prime. Julian Fellowes has adapted it. (Downton Abbey). Iā€™m really enjoying it.